    I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

    TIA

    John

    John, Mar 7, 2005

  2. John

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Mar 7, 2005

  3. John wrote:

    > In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.

    > The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.

    > I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
    > site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
    > doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.

    > I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

    It won't have anything to do with DW, and it depends on the server
    features to which you have access. You want a way to only make changes
    in one source file and have that file included in all (or some) your web
    pages. The keyword is "included". Do some Googling on SSI (Server Side
    Includes), for a start. The same thing can be done with scripting, as
    with PHP, for instance.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 7, 2005
  4. John

    Steve Pugh Guest

    John <> wrote:

    >In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.
    >
    >The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.
    >
    >I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
    >site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
    >doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.

    Server side includes or HTML pre-processing on your local machine.

    >I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

    DW offers a form of pre-processing.

    You can set the whole site up to use the same Dreamweaver template
    such that the navigation bars are outside of anyt editable regions.
    Thus any changes to the templates will cause all the HTML files to be
    updated (unless you do something stupid like click 'Don't Update').
    You then need to upload the files to your server.

    Or you can define the navigation bars as Library Items and drop them
    into pages. Again an update to the Library Item will cause all pages
    that use that Item to be updated. Again you then need to upload the
    pages to the server.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Mar 7, 2005
  5. On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:26:16 +0000, John wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.
    >
    > The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.
    >
    > I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
    > site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
    > doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.
    >
    > I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > John

    In dream weaver, I can't tell you. I don't have a clue about it. With an
    apache server, SSI works very nicely.

    Carolyn

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 7, 2005
  6. John

    dorayme Guest

    > From: John <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:26:16 +0000
    > Subject: Links the same for all pages?
    >
    > Hello.
    >
    > In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.
    >
    > The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.
    >
    > I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
    > site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
    > doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.
    >
    > I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > John

    I would do it by global "search and replace" over all the files in a folder.
    In other words use powerful built-in "search and replace" facilities in your
    text editor on your computer. Know nothing about DW but it surely must have
    some such facilities? In BBEdit one can make global changes to files by
    using built-in search and replace, including GREP pattern searching. This
    later is extremely powerful and takes a bit of learning (but it is fun).
    Then one must update all the relevant files to the server. Please excuse me
    if you are way ahead on this and already do such but want more!

    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 7, 2005
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:41:04 +1100, A strange species called dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >> From: John <>
    >> Newsgroups: alt.html
    >> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:26:16 +0000
    >> Subject: Links the same for all pages?
    >>
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.
    >>
    >> The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.
    >>
    >> I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
    >> site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
    >> doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.
    >>
    >> I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >I would do it by global "search and replace" over all the files in a folder.
    >In other words use powerful built-in "search and replace" facilities in your
    >text editor on your computer. Know nothing about DW but it surely must have
    >some such facilities? In BBEdit one can make global changes to files by
    >using built-in search and replace, including GREP pattern searching. This
    >later is extremely powerful and takes a bit of learning (but it is fun).
    >Then one must update all the relevant files to the server. Please excuse me
    >if you are way ahead on this and already do such but want more!

    Yes I use the find and replace a lot. Unfortunately for this though
    the navigation in each of the pages has different text, and quite a
    lot of it, so find and replace would not work all in one go, it would
    be the same as doing it individually in this case because all the text
    to replace is different anyway.

    John

    John, Mar 8, 2005
  8. John

    John Guest

    >Server side includes or HTML pre-processing on your local machine.
    >
    >>I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

    >DW offers a form of pre-processing.
    >
    >You can set the whole site up to use the same Dreamweaver template
    >such that the navigation bars are outside of anyt editable regions.
    >Thus any changes to the templates will cause all the HTML files to be
    >updated (unless you do something stupid like click 'Don't Update').
    >You then need to upload the files to your server.
    >
    >Or you can define the navigation bars as Library Items and drop them
    >into pages. Again an update to the Library Item will cause all pages
    >that use that Item to be updated. Again you then need to upload the
    >pages to the server.
    >
    > Steve

    I will have to look into this. I believe there is something in the
    help menu of Dreamweaver on how to use templates and select the
    editable regions.

    I have been learning php, and have apache and mysql on my machine. I
    am only in the very early stages of that though.

    Maybe I can also investigate include files and repeatable region
    features.

    Cheers everyone

    John

    John, Mar 8, 2005
  9. John

    John Guest

    Crap. I'm stuck again. When I save the page as a template, and then
    just select only the main body as the editable region, so the left
    navigation links and the top navigation links can't be altered, what
    happens is that the main content area I have selected as editable
    undocks the left navigation and pushes it further down and underneath
    the main body that has become editable. I don't suppose anyone knows
    why it does that?

    I want the left nav and top nav to stay exactly as they are.

    John

    John, Mar 8, 2005
  10. John

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when John <> wrote:

    >I have been learning php, and have apache and mysql on my machine. I
    >am only in the very early stages of that though.

    Well you're screwed then. You'll never learn all that lot at once and
    keep it straight,

    if you can post something like "<div#Navbar?>" to a HTML newsgroup and
    not see there;s an issue, then you don't yet have a clear mental model
    of what's HTML, what's CSS, what's DW templating and what's some other
    form of server-side includiness.

    Learn something (HTML for starters) and _really_ learn it. Then learn
    the next thing. Then when you know that, move on to another. But
    trying to learn them all at once will leave you completely mixed-up.

    Andy Dingley, Mar 9, 2005
  11. John

    dorayme Guest

    > From: John <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:22:57 +0000
    > Subject: Re: Links the same for all pages?
    >
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:41:04 +1100, A strange species called dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> From: John <>
    >>> Newsgroups: alt.html
    >>> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:26:16 +0000
    >>> Subject: Links the same for all pages?
    >>>
    >>> Hello.
    >>>
    >>> In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.
    >>>
    >>> The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.
    >>>
    >>> I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
    >>> site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
    >>> doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.
    >>>
    >>> I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> I would do it by global "search and replace" over all the files in a folder.
    >> In other words use powerful built-in "search and replace" facilities in your
    >> text editor on your computer. Know nothing about DW but it surely must have
    >> some such facilities? In BBEdit one can make global changes to files by
    >> using built-in search and replace, including GREP pattern searching. This
    >> later is extremely powerful and takes a bit of learning (but it is fun).
    >> Then one must update all the relevant files to the server. Please excuse me
    >> if you are way ahead on this and already do such but want more!

    > Yes I use the find and replace a lot. Unfortunately for this though
    > the navigation in each of the pages has different text, and quite a
    > lot of it, so find and replace would not work all in one go, it would
    > be the same as doing it individually in this case because all the text
    > to replace is different anyway.
    >
    > John

    Well, it depends on how different everything is. The reason I mentioned GREP
    pattern search and replace is that it can handle great variations in text
    and still do a job of global replacement. Suppose you have "see the <a
    href="some.html">subclasses</a> of this here" on one page and and "see the
    the same link. You might be wanting to change the text that appears as a
    link in both to something different again, like "see the <a
    href="some.html">examples</a> of this here". This sort of thing is possible
    with GREP...

    An example of a few nav bars that you would want to update would be useful
    at this point, I guess...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 9, 2005