Links the same for all pages?

John

Hello.

In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.

The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.

I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.

I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

TIA

John

Blinky the Shark

John said:
In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.
The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.
I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.
I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

It won't have anything to do with DW, and it depends on the server
features to which you have access. You want a way to only make changes
in one source file and have that file included in all (or some) your web
pages. The keyword is "included". Do some Googling on SSI (Server Side
Includes), for a start. The same thing can be done with scripting, as
with PHP, for instance.

Steve Pugh

John said:
In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.

The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.

I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.

Server side includes or HTML pre-processing on your local machine.
I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

DW offers a form of pre-processing.

You can set the whole site up to use the same Dreamweaver template
such that the navigation bars are outside of anyt editable regions.
Thus any changes to the templates will cause all the HTML files to be
updated (unless you do something stupid like click 'Don't Update').
You then need to upload the files to your server.

Or you can define the navigation bars as Library Items and drop them
into pages. Again an update to the Library Item will cause all pages
that use that Item to be updated. Again you then need to upload the
pages to the server.

Steve

Carolyn Marenger

Hello.

In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.

The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.

I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.

I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

TIA

John

In dream weaver, I can't tell you. I don't have a clue about it. With an
apache server, SSI works very nicely.

Carolyn

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:26:16 +0000
Subject: Links the same for all pages?

Hello.

In my site I have a left navigation bar and also one at the top.

The left one is called <div#Navbar?> the top <div#masthead>.

I want any changes within these sections to apply to all pages in the
site. Do you know how I set it up to do this because at the moment it
doesn't update on all the pages I have to do it manually.

I am using Dreamweaver MX 7.01

TIA

John

I would do it by global "search and replace" over all the files in a folder.
In other words use powerful built-in "search and replace" facilities in your
text editor on your computer. Know nothing about DW but it surely must have
some such facilities? In BBEdit one can make global changes to files by
using built-in search and replace, including GREP pattern searching. This
later is extremely powerful and takes a bit of learning (but it is fun).
Then one must update all the relevant files to the server. Please excuse me
if you are way ahead on this and already do such but want more!

dorayme

John

I would do it by global "search and replace" over all the files in a folder.
In other words use powerful built-in "search and replace" facilities in your
text editor on your computer. Know nothing about DW but it surely must have
some such facilities? In BBEdit one can make global changes to files by
using built-in search and replace, including GREP pattern searching. This
later is extremely powerful and takes a bit of learning (but it is fun).
Then one must update all the relevant files to the server. Please excuse me
if you are way ahead on this and already do such but want more!

Yes I use the find and replace a lot. Unfortunately for this though
the navigation in each of the pages has different text, and quite a
lot of it, so find and replace would not work all in one go, it would
be the same as doing it individually in this case because all the text
to replace is different anyway.

John

John

Server side includes or HTML pre-processing on your local machine.

DW offers a form of pre-processing.

You can set the whole site up to use the same Dreamweaver template
such that the navigation bars are outside of anyt editable regions.
Thus any changes to the templates will cause all the HTML files to be
updated (unless you do something stupid like click 'Don't Update').
You then need to upload the files to your server.

Or you can define the navigation bars as Library Items and drop them
into pages. Again an update to the Library Item will cause all pages
that use that Item to be updated. Again you then need to upload the
pages to the server.

Steve

I will have to look into this. I believe there is something in the
help menu of Dreamweaver on how to use templates and select the
editable regions.

I have been learning php, and have apache and mysql on my machine. I
am only in the very early stages of that though.

Maybe I can also investigate include files and repeatable region
features.

Cheers everyone

John

John

Crap. I'm stuck again. When I save the page as a template, and then
just select only the main body as the editable region, so the left
navigation links and the top navigation links can't be altered, what
happens is that the main content area I have selected as editable
undocks the left navigation and pushes it further down and underneath
the main body that has become editable. I don't suppose anyone knows
why it does that?

I want the left nav and top nav to stay exactly as they are.

John

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when John said:
I have been learning php, and have apache and mysql on my machine. I
am only in the very early stages of that though.

Well you're screwed then. You'll never learn all that lot at once and
keep it straight,

if you can post something like "<div#Navbar?>" to a HTML newsgroup and
not see there;s an issue, then you don't yet have a clear mental model
of what's HTML, what's CSS, what's DW templating and what's some other
form of server-side includiness.

Learn something (HTML for starters) and _really_ learn it. Then learn
the next thing. Then when you know that, move on to another. But
trying to learn them all at once will leave you completely mixed-up.

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:22:57 +0000
Subject: Re: Links the same for all pages?

Yes I use the find and replace a lot. Unfortunately for this though
the navigation in each of the pages has different text, and quite a
lot of it, so find and replace would not work all in one go, it would
be the same as doing it individually in this case because all the text
to replace is different anyway.

John

Well, it depends on how different everything is. The reason I mentioned GREP
pattern search and replace is that it can handle great variations in text
and still do a job of global replacement. Suppose you have "see the <a
href="some.html">subclasses</a> of this here" on one page and and "see the
the same link. You might be wanting to change the text that appears as a
link in both to something different again, like "see the <a
href="some.html">examples</a> of this here". This sort of thing is possible
with GREP...

An example of a few nav bars that you would want to update would be useful
at this point, I guess...

dorayme