Links to https fails 404 with preceding forward slash

Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP]

In reviewing my web site statistics, I see that I get 404 errors (often enough to make me ask about it) when users try to click on a link to a secure external site (i.e. an https:// link).

I've tested these links multiple times, and they always work fine for me. Other links do not seem to have trouble. It seems to be related to "https://" for some reason. I get this for another site too.

The statistics page shows the 404 failed link with an additional forward-slash at at the start of the url, such as:

"/https://www.SomeRandomWebSite.com"

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it? Is this a browser-specific issue that I have no control over?

Thanks!

George Ter-Saakov

there is no good answer here.
Apparently you have a link on your page that has forward slash first.
"/https://www.SomeRandomWebSite.com"

You need to fix it and that is it.

Just an idea. Can it be that you link has an extra space. like

Then browser probably sees first character as a space and treats it as
relative link to the current page. Thus adding first slash?

George.

"Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP]" <gcollins_AT_msn_DOT_com> wrote in message
In reviewing my web site statistics, I see that I get 404 errors (often
enough to make me ask about it) when users try to click on a link to a
secure external site (i.e. an https:// link).

I've tested these links multiple times, and they always work fine for me.
Other links do not seem to have trouble. It seems to be related to
"https://" for some reason. I get this for another site too.

The statistics page shows the 404 failed link with an additional
forward-slash at at the start of the url, such as:

"/https://www.SomeRandomWebSite.com"

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it? Is this a
browser-specific issue that I have no control over?

Thanks!

Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP]

No - as I said, the link is fine. I just checked again. No extra slash. No extra space. Just a solid anchor tag as it is supposed to be. I never have any trouble clicking it, but for some reason I get it listed as a 404 with a preceding forward slash for certain clicks.

My best guess at this point is that it is some particular browser causing it to happen... but I'm really at a loss here.