    I have defined links, vlinks, and alinks in the <body> tag, but there is a
    section of text within a table that I need to define with different link
    colors due to the cells background color. What are some possible solutions?

    J i m b o, Dec 15, 2003

  2. J i m b o wrote:

    > I have defined links, vlinks, and alinks in the <body> tag,

    Those attributes are obsolete.

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Links_with_different_colors

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Dec 15, 2003

  3. "J i m b o" <> wrote:

    > I have defined links, vlinks, and alinks in the <body> tag,

    And hopefully text, bgcolor, and background too, for obvious (?)
    reasons. If not, you might just as well do things the best way and move
    such stuff into CSS.

    > but
    > there is a section of text within a table that I need to define
    > with different link colors due to the cells background color. What
    > are some possible solutions?

    a. Remove the table. My crystal ball tells that it's a useless
    "navigation menu". Just put the essential links onto the main
    page, and link to the main page from each subpage.

    b. As the second best option, stop playing with different background
    colors for the table, since it's just confusing and prevents you
    from using link colors that reasonably resemble the common defaults.

    c. If you still want to play with the colors, you simply need to use
    CSS for it, since in HTML you can only set the global link colors.
    And this means that it's simplest to move all color settings into
    CSS. You would assign a class to the table and use CSS rules
    with contextual selectors like
    table.navigation a:link { color: blue; background: white; }

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Hi,
    CSS is the only way to fly for this sort of thing. I take it you haven't
    looked at it yet so i would suggest doing so. Once you get a handle on it,
    you will never look back ;-)

    cio
    Derek

    --