    / Ostenfeldtsvej 8c 2 tv | you're doing, you're | ^ ^ \
    \ 4700 Naestved, Denmark | not learning anything. | = @ = /
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Sep 18, 2005

  2. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:

    > Am I wrong in thinking that there used to be a possibility to make a link
    > without the underscoring?

    Only CSS.

    > Maybe some parameter in the anchor tag?

    style attribute

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Phoenix Guest

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    > Am I wrong in thinking that there used to be a possibility to make a link
    > without the underscoring?
    > Maybe some parameter in the anchor tag?

    > / Thomas Hejl Pilgaard | If you understand what | /\ /\ \
    > / Ostenfeldtsvej 8c 2 tv | you're doing, you're | ^ ^ \
    > \ 4700 Naestved, Denmark | not learning anything. | = @ = /
    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

    That's a s strange attitude. You are aware that HTML is not to be used
    for style at all, right? HTML is a markup language, CSS is a style
    language. Separation of content and style, etc., etc. RTFM, as I like to
    say.
    Phoenix, Sep 18, 2005
  4. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    > Am I wrong in thinking that there used to be a possibility to make
    > a link without the underscoring? Maybe some parameter in the anchor
    > tag?

    Why do you want to hide your links? Are you expecting your visitors to
    wave the mouse all 'round the page looking for them, for the arrow to
    change to a hand?

    > --

    Your sig separator is broken; it should be dash-dash-space.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 18, 2005
  5. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i en
    meddelelse news:WRkXe.80415$...
    > Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >> Am I wrong in thinking that there used to be a possibility to make
    >> a link without the underscoring? Maybe some parameter in the anchor
    >> tag?

    > Why do you want to hide your links? Are you expecting your visitors to
    > wave the mouse all 'round the page looking for them, for the arrow to
    > change to a hand?

    It's not for use on a serious website ^^

    >> --

    > Your sig separator is broken; it should be dash-dash-space.

    ooo - thanks for the heads up!

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Sep 18, 2005
  6. "Phoenix" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    > Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Am I wrong in thinking that there used to be a possibility to make a link
    >> without the underscoring?
    >> Maybe some parameter in the anchor tag?

    > That's a s strange attitude. You are aware that HTML is not to be used for
    > style at all, right? HTML is a markup language, CSS is a style language.
    > Separation of content and style, etc., etc. RTFM, as I like to say.

    I am quite aware of that. Nevertheless there has been some attempts
    by various browser-makers to introduce tags outside the conventions.

    And I strongly believe that there used to be a feature for the above effect.
    Whether it was purely in an early version of Netscape Navigator or whatever,
    I am sure there was something.

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:

    <snip>
    > I am quite aware of that. Nevertheless there has been some attempts
    > by various browser-makers to introduce tags outside the conventions.

    <snip>

    A practice that I, and I am sure many others, hope will die. Do not
    fondly reminisce about pre-4.01 days of MS and Netscape proprietary
    elements.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 19, 2005
  8. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Dr Clue Guest

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    > And I strongly believe that there used to be a feature for the above effect.
    > Whether it was purely in an early version of Netscape Navigator or whatever,
    > I am sure there was something.

    I don't think there was ever one in my time (since 1994).
    You could just use a little CSS, it won't hurt that much :)

    --
    --.
    --=<> Dr. Clue (A.K.A. Ian A. Storms) <>=-- C++,HTML, CSS,Javascript
    Dr Clue, Sep 19, 2005
  9. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Robi Guest

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote in message news:XUlXe.187$2net.dk...

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty skrev i en meddelelse news:WRkXe.80415$...
    >> Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >>> Am I wrong in thinking that there used to be a possibility to make
    >>> a link without the underscoring? Maybe some parameter in the anchor
    >>> tag?

    >> Why do you want to hide your links? Are you expecting your visitors to
    >> wave the mouse all 'round the page looking for them, for the arrow to
    >> change to a hand?

    > It's not for use on a serious website ^^

    you could also set the font colour to the same as the background colour...
    now that would be fun too :)

    >>> --

    >> Your sig separator is broken; it should be dash-dash-space.

    > ooo - thanks for the heads up!

    > / Thomas Hejl Pilgaard | If you understand what | /\ /\ \
    > / Ostenfeldtsvej 8c 2 tv | you're doing, you're | ^ ^ \
    > \ 4700 Naestved, Denmark | not learning anything. | = @ = /
    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

    Thomas, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    your .sig separator is still bOrken

    --" " (without the quotes)
    dash-dash-space-CR (that's 4 "chars")

    --
    Capisci?
    Robi, Sep 19, 2005
  10. "Robi" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    > Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote in message
    >>
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty skrev i en meddelelse

    >>> Why do you want to hide your links? Are you expecting your visitors to
    >>> wave the mouse all 'round the page looking for them, for the arrow to
    >>> change to a hand?

    >> It's not for use on a serious website ^^

    > you could also set the font colour to the same as the background colour...
    > now that would be fun too :)

    hehehe

    >>> Your sig separator is broken; it should be dash-dash-space.

    >> ooo - thanks for the heads up!
    >>
    >> --

    > your .sig separator is still bOrken
    >
    > --" " (without the quotes)
    > dash-dash-space-CR (that's 4 "chars")
    >
    > --
    > Capisci?

    Yeah, I got it now - I hope ^^

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Sep 19, 2005
  11. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Patrick Guest

    <%@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
    <head>
    <script>

    function hidestatus(){
    window.status=''
    return true
    }

    if (document.layers)
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)

    document.onmouseover=hidestatus
    document.onmouseout=hidestatus
    </script>
    </head>

    Then create a link like so...
    onmouseout="style.color='blue'">your link</a>
    This will remove the underscore and then apply a color scheme for the link
    upon mouseover.

    Patrick, Feb 18, 2007
  12. TOP POSTING CORRECTED

    Patrick wrote:
    > <%@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
    > <head>
    > <script>
    >
    > function hidestatus(){
    > window.status=''
    > return true
    > }
    >
    > if (document.layers)
    > document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)
    >
    > document.onmouseover=hidestatus
    > document.onmouseout=hidestatus
    > </script>
    > </head>
    >
    > Then create a link like so...
    > onmouseout="style.color='blue'">your link</a>
    > This will remove the underscore and then apply a color scheme for the link
    > upon mouseover.

    And just how is this above supposed to remove the underscore?

    To OP, the answer is no. There is no attribute of the A element to do
    this your need to use CSS

    A { text-decoration: none; }

    But if you do so, you must provide some means to identify that you have
    a link or you will frustrate your visitors as they play the game
    "Where's Waldo" hunting for your links.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 18, 2007
  13. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    It might also be noted that Patrick is replying to threads from circa
    September 2005.
    Richard Formby, Feb 18, 2007
  14. Richard Formby wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Patrick wrote:

    > It might also be noted that Patrick is replying to threads from circa
    > September 2005.

    Wondered where OP was thought it was from alt.html.tags to which I do
    subscribe. But whatever, corrected misinformation in case a newbie is
    lurking...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan