    please :) Any help appreciated.

    TIA.

    G.
    Freebie, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Freebie

    Freebie Guest

    "Freebie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:DEu_f.218067$...

    > I have a problem which is intermittent, but a pain none the less. I built
    > this website http://www.samanthaseth.com/index.html using very basic html,
    > as that's all I know. Recently I added the "butterflies" to the pointer
    > (cos I was asked to), but many people are emailing me to say that they
    > can't click on the links at the bottom of the page as the butterflies
    > cause the pointer to be unable to click the links. The little "hand"
    > symbol sometimes doesn't show when the pointer hovers over the links and
    > the links become unclickable. This doesn't happen "every" time, but I've
    > seen it happen for myself and can't figure out what could be casusing it
    > or how to fix it. Can anyone suggest anything? (I am a total rookie btw,
    > so simple suggestions please :) Any help appreciated.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > G.

    The problem seems to show up more often if the link is via a referral, i.e.
    via google or myspace or similar. If I go to www.google.co.uk and type in
    "samantha seth", and then I click on her "myspace" link which comes up, and
    then from her mysapce site take the link near the top right hand side to her
    main website "samanthaseth.com" the problem "can" be made to appear in this
    way, but I still don't understand 'why' it does this. It seems to be
    something to do with previous sites visited. I could be totally wrong
    though. Hmm.

    G.
    Freebie, Apr 10, 2006

  3. Freebie

    Guest

    Hi,

    I can't see any butterflies near my mouse pointer. Have you taken them
    off now, or are my two browsers not displaying them (Macintosh - Safari
    and Firefox)?

    You could try running your code through a html validator, see:
    http://validator.w3.org/

    As validators often do help, although running them the first time can
    be daunting, don't be put off fixing all the "little" bugs. As some of
    those "little" bugs may be "big" bugs (from experience), afterall it's
    easy to miss something.

    Another thing I would suggest is to ask the users who found the problem
    which platform and web browser (including version) they were using, as
    this may help you track it down to one or two specific browser or
    platforms. You could then look into idiosyncrasies with these
    browsers... etc.
    , Apr 10, 2006
  4. Freebie

    Freebie Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can't see any butterflies near my mouse pointer. Have you taken them
    > off now, or are my two browsers not displaying them (Macintosh - Safari
    > and Firefox)?
    >
    > You could try running your code through a html validator, see:
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > As validators often do help, although running them the first time can
    > be daunting, don't be put off fixing all the "little" bugs. As some of
    > those "little" bugs may be "big" bugs (from experience), afterall it's
    > easy to miss something.
    >
    > Another thing I would suggest is to ask the users who found the problem
    > which platform and web browser (including version) they were using, as
    > this may help you track it down to one or two specific browser or
    > platforms. You could then look into idiosyncrasies with these
    > browsers... etc.

    The butterflies are still there, so I guess javascript maybe doesn't show up
    in Firefox? Or does Firefox have a setting to turn it off (by default?).
    God, I must be behind the times..."Safari"? I'd never even heard of that one
    until today. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'll have a look at that
    validator site, but I don't expect to sort it out that way as I am a total
    novice to html and have used only the most basic tags in my html.

    Thanks!
    G.
    Freebie, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Freebie wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I can't see any butterflies near my mouse pointer. Have you taken them
    >> off now, or are my two browsers not displaying them (Macintosh - Safari
    >> and Firefox)?
    >>
    >> You could try running your code through a html validator, see:
    >> http://validator.w3.org/
    >>
    >> As validators often do help, although running them the first time can
    >> be daunting, don't be put off fixing all the "little" bugs. As some of
    >> those "little" bugs may be "big" bugs (from experience), afterall it's
    >> easy to miss something.
    >>
    >> Another thing I would suggest is to ask the users who found the problem
    >> which platform and web browser (including version) they were using, as
    >> this may help you track it down to one or two specific browser or
    >> platforms. You could then look into idiosyncrasies with these
    >> browsers... etc.
    >>

    > The butterflies are still there, so I guess javascript maybe doesn't show up
    > in Firefox? Or does Firefox have a setting to turn it off (by default?).
    > God, I must be behind the times..."Safari"? I'd never even heard of that one
    > until today. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'll have a look at that
    > validator site, but I don't expect to sort it out that way as I am a total
    > novice to html and have used only the most basic tags in my html.

    No, ancient script!

    <script>
    B=document.all; <-- MSIE proprietary
    C=document.layers; <-- Old Netscape 4.x proprietary

    The DOM function is document.getElementById for modern browsers the
    script is 10 years old, an eon with respect to computers...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Freebie

    kchayka Guest

    Freebie wrote:

    > http://www.samanthaseth.com/index.html
    > Recently I added the "butterflies" to the pointer (cos I was asked to)

    That script you are using for the butterfly cursor trails is ancient. It
    was designed to work in IE and Netscape 4 and won't work in most modern
    browsers. You would do best to get rid of it altogether.

    In cases where it "works" as intended, it is likely a major annoyance
    rather than a cute trick. In cases where scripting is enabled but it
    doesn't "work", it generates hundreds, if not thousands, of JavaScript
    errors which bogs down the browser. Worst case, the user's system will
    slow to a crawl.

    Dump it.

    kchayka, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Freebie

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Freebie"
    <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> declaimed:

    > I have a problem which is intermittent, but a pain none the less. I
    > built this website http://www.samanthaseth.com/index.html using very
    > basic html, as that's all I know. Recently I added the "butterflies"
    > to the pointer (cos I was asked to), but many people are emailing me
    > to say that they can't click on the links at the bottom of the page as
    > the butterflies cause the pointer to be unable to click the links. The
    > little "hand" symbol sometimes doesn't show when the pointer hovers
    > over the links and the links become unclickable. This doesn't happen
    > "every" time, but I've seen it happen for myself and can't figure out
    > what could be casusing it or how to fix it. Can anyone suggest
    > anything? (I am a total rookie btw, so simple suggestions please :)
    > Any help appreciated.

    I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both are
    nothing but annoyances to visitors. Then, if you really wish the site to
    be functionally dependable, validate the markup and learn how to fix any
    errors. And get rid of any javascript unless you absolutely know how it
    works and it actually contributes to the page.

    As it stands now, that's a good example of a bad site.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 10, 2006
  8. Freebie

    Martin Clark Guest

    Neredbojias wrote...
    >To further the education of mankind, "Freebie"
    ><FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> declaimed:
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest
    >> anything? (I am a total rookie btw, so simple suggestions please :)
    >> Any help appreciated.

    >I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both are
    >nothing but annoyances to visitors.

    I would prefer not to see scrolling text in the status bar, either. That
    and the butterflies are only visible to me in IE, thankfully.

    I thought the scrolling message "I hope you hung around long enough for
    this to load" speaks for itself. Some users won't.
    --
    Martin Clark (not a guru)
    Martin Clark, Apr 10, 2006
  9. Freebie

    Freebie Guest

    "Neredbojias" <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> wrote in
    message news:Xns97A189BD25E88httpwwwneredbojiasco@208.49.80.251...
    > To further the education of mankind, "Freebie"
    > <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> declaimed:
    >

    >> I have a problem which is intermittent, but a pain none the less. I
    >> built this website http://www.samanthaseth.com/index.html using very
    >> basic html, as that's all I know. Recently I added the "butterflies"
    >> to the pointer (cos I was asked to), but many people are emailing me
    >> to say that they can't click on the links at the bottom of the page as
    >> the butterflies cause the pointer to be unable to click the links. The
    >> little "hand" symbol sometimes doesn't show when the pointer hovers
    >> over the links and the links become unclickable. This doesn't happen
    >> "every" time, but I've seen it happen for myself and can't figure out
    >> what could be casusing it or how to fix it. Can anyone suggest
    >> anything? (I am a total rookie btw, so simple suggestions please :)
    >> Any help appreciated.

    > I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both are
    > nothing but annoyances to visitors. Then, if you really wish the site to
    > be functionally dependable, validate the markup and learn how to fix any
    > errors. And get rid of any javascript unless you absolutely know how it
    > works and it actually contributes to the page.
    >
    > As it stands now, that's a good example of a bad site.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Infinity can have limits.

    Yeah, you're right, it IS a bad site. Even I know that, but I'm not an html
    programmer at all. I just undertook the task of putting this site on a
    server after being asked to do so by the girl singer since her previous web
    designer dumped her and left her in the lurch. I was only asked to put up a
    page saying "under construction", but decided to have a go at something a
    bit more substantial. Ever wish you hadn't started something?! lol. It's
    weird, coz even though I know nowt about html, and the site is crap, I am
    actually enjoying it all! Maybe I'll get better at it....'in about 10 years!
    ;-)

    Cheers.
    G.
    Freebie, Apr 11, 2006
  10. Neredbojias wrote:

    > I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both are
    > nothing but annoyances to visitors. Then, if you really wish the site to

    How 'bout the embedded music? :)

    > As it stands now, that's a good example of a bad site.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 11, 2006
  11. Freebie

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Freebie"
    <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> declaimed:

    >> I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both
    >> are nothing but annoyances to visitors. Then, if you really wish the
    >> site to be functionally dependable, validate the markup and learn how
    >> to fix any errors. And get rid of any javascript unless you
    >> absolutely know how it works and it actually contributes to the page.
    >>
    >> As it stands now, that's a good example of a bad site.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojias
    >> Infinity can have limits.

    > Yeah, you're right, it IS a bad site. Even I know that, but I'm not an
    > html programmer at all. I just undertook the task of putting this site
    > on a server after being asked to do so by the girl singer since her
    > previous web designer dumped her and left her in the lurch. I was only
    > asked to put up a page saying "under construction", but decided to
    > have a go at something a bit more substantial. Ever wish you hadn't
    > started something?! lol. It's weird, coz even though I know nowt about
    > html, and the site is crap, I am actually enjoying it all! Maybe I'll
    > get better at it....'in about 10 years! ;-)

    If you enjoy it, you have 90% of the battle won. I didn't become
    proficient overnight, either, and I _have_ been doing markup for over 10
    years. I learned mostly by trial-and-error, experimenting, furiously
    looking up specs when something didn't go my way, checking other pages I
    liked, and anything but plodding thru tutorials. You still have to do
    _some_ homework, though.

    Good luck!

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 11, 2006
  12. Freebie

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    <> declaimed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both
    >> are nothing but annoyances to visitors. Then, if you really wish the
    >> site to

    > How 'bout the embedded music? :)

    I never browse with sound on. And since I started that policy, which was
    about 7-8 years ago, I never get aggravated by other people's ideas of what
    I should hear.

    Neredbojias, Apr 11, 2006
  13. Freebie

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Martin Clark <>
    declaimed:

    > Neredbojias wrote...
    >>To further the education of mankind, "Freebie"
    >><FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> declaimed:
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone suggest
    >>> anything? (I am a total rookie btw, so simple suggestions please :)
    >>> Any help appreciated.

    >>I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both are
    >>nothing but annoyances to visitors.

    > I would prefer not to see scrolling text in the status bar, either. That
    > and the butterflies are only visible to me in IE, thankfully.

    I missed that 'cause I have the statusbar-manipulation thingy disabled.
    But I do like javascript.

    > I thought the scrolling message "I hope you hung around long enough for
    > this to load" speaks for itself. Some users won't.

    Nope. In normal browsing, when I see a site with a lot of crap coming up,
    I usually leave immediately.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 11, 2006
  14. Neredbojias wrote:

    > To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    > <> declaimed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would seriously remove that and also the traveling marquee. Both are
    >>> nothing but annoyances to visitors. Then, if you really wish the site

    >> How 'bout the embedded music? :)

    > I never browse with sound on. And since I started that policy, which was
    > about 7-8 years ago, I never get aggravated by other people's ideas of
    > what I should hear.

    Same here. I saw it in his code. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 11, 2006
  15. Freebie

    Freebie Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> declaimed:

    >>> How 'bout the embedded music? :)

    >> I never browse with sound on. And since I started that policy, which was
    >> about 7-8 years ago, I never get aggravated by other people's ideas of
    >> what I should hear.

    > Same here. I saw it in his code. :)

    > --
    > Blinky RLU 297263
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    > Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients

    Jeez, you gave me a fright just then! I did have a midi playing in the
    background but not anymore. I thought you meant you could still actually
    hear it! I guess I didn't edit the code "properly". I removed the midi file
    though...'I hope! ;)
    I am learning so much just from being in this NG. You guys can see things in
    an instant that I'd take ages with. I have a problem with the butterflies as
    the girl who is on the website is the one who specifically asked for them to
    be there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might put a
    butterfly-related "theme", or where I can get more up to date code for a
    butterfly "effect"? (I know....'women! Well, girls!). I see what you all
    mean, about the banner and the scroller at the bottom. They do have to go.
    And I had thought it was cool too! lol! I am going to learn this html stuff
    yet! Thanks!

    G.
    Freebie, Apr 11, 2006
  16. Freebie

    Martin Clark Guest

    Freebie wrote...
    >I see what you all
    >mean, about the banner and the scroller at the bottom. They do have to go.
    >And I had thought it was cool too!

    Things following the pointer around, marquee text, scrolling messages,
    embedded music, animated gifs, transitions from one page to the next,
    etc. all seem cool the first time you ever see them. After a few times
    you get rather tired of them, especially when they slow the site down.
    --
    Martin Clark
    Martin Clark, Apr 11, 2006
  17. Freebie wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >>> To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
    >>> <> declaimed:

    >>> I never browse with sound on. And since I started that policy, which
    >>> was about 7-8 years ago, I never get aggravated by other people's ideas
    >>> of what I should hear.

    >> Same here. I saw it in his code. :)

    > Jeez, you gave me a fright just then! I did have a midi playing in the
    > background but not anymore. I thought you meant you could still actually
    > hear it! I guess I didn't edit the code "properly". I removed the midi
    > file though...'I hope! ;)

    <BGSOUND src="esoteric.mid" loop=infinite>

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 12, 2006