links...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by WindAndWaves, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    Hi Gurus

    I have just put together a website, but I noticed that some of my links do
    not work with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac.

    Here is my directory structure

    index.html
    about.html
    contact.html
    [folder s]
    [folder j]

    in the s folder there is a style sheet s.css
    in the j folder there is a javascript file called j.js

    here are the link I use in my html files:

    <SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
    <LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thank you.

    WindAndWaves, Aug 6, 2004

  2. WindAndWaves

    SpaceGirl Guest

    WindAndWaves wrote:

    > Hi Gurus
    >
    > I have just put together a website, but I noticed that some of my links do
    > not work with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac.
    >
    > Here is my directory structure
    >
    > index.html
    > about.html
    > contact.html
    > [folder s]
    > [folder j]
    >
    > in the s folder there is a style sheet s.css
    > in the j folder there is a javascript file called j.js
    >
    > here are the link I use in my html files:
    >
    > <SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
    > <LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thank you.

    No idea. BTW, seeing as you close your link with /> it suggests you are
    trying to write XHTML. XHTML *cannot* have uppercase tags - all the tags
    should be lowercase. "SCRIPT" should be "scrip"t, "LINK" should be
    "link", "HREF" should be "href"... etc

    Put the thing online and then we can tell you what's wrong with the
    links though.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 7, 2004

  3. WindAndWaves

    Sam Hughes Guest

    SpaceGirl <> wrote in

    > WindAndWaves wrote:
    >

    >> <SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
    >> <LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />
    >>

    > No idea. BTW, seeing as you close your link with /> it suggests you
    > are trying to write XHTML. XHTML *cannot* have uppercase tags - all
    > the tags should be lowercase. "SCRIPT" should be "scrip"t, "LINK"
    > should be "link", "HREF" should be "href"... etc
    >
    > Put the thing online and then we can tell you what's wrong with the
    > links though.

    Many times, I even find self-terminated XHTMLish link elements with an
    HTML dtd! So many people just copy and paste.

    --
    In a room with thirty-seven people, never have everybody shake each
    other's hand.

    Sam Hughes, Aug 7, 2004
  4. WindAndWaves

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in

    > Hi Gurus
    >
    > I have just put together a website, but I noticed that some of my
    > links do not work with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac.
    >
    > Here is my directory structure
    >
    > index.html
    > about.html
    > contact.html
    > [folder s]
    > [folder j]
    >
    > in the s folder there is a style sheet s.css
    > in the j folder there is a javascript file called j.js
    >
    > here are the link I use in my html files:
    >
    > <SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
    > <LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    URL? Also, have you found this problem to be one specific of IE 5 mac,
    or is that the only browser in which you have tested?

    I am also curious if you are knowingly trying to write XHTML.

    Sam Hughes, Aug 7, 2004
  5. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    hi folks

    this extra / is purely superstitious. I am writing plain html. I always
    write <BR />, because I try to close all tags. So, for example, I do not
    write <A HREF=..... />, but instead, I write <A HREF=......>....</A>

    Anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question?

    Thank you

    Nicolaas

    PS
    On the server, I changed it to

    <SCRIPT SRC="/j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
    <LINK HREF="/s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

    These links do not work locally, when I open my index file on the c drive,
    but when I look at it on the server, then it does work.

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  6. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    you can see the site at www.rakua.com, however, I also use this code on
    several other sites with the same problems....

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  7. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  8. WindAndWaves

    Will Gittoes Guest

    WindAndWaves wrote:
    > correction: www.rakau.com

    The answer is, NO begginning foreward slash.

    "/j/j.css" or whatever - Wrong
    "j/j.css" pr whatever - Right!

    Will Gittoes, Aug 7, 2004
  9. WindAndWaves

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in

    > hi folks
    >
    > this extra / is purely superstitious. I am writing plain html. I
    > always write <BR />, because I try to close all tags.

    But if you're writing HTML, not XHTML, this is WRONG. Closing all tags
    is a good thing, especially with ones like P or LI.

    > So, for
    > example, I do not write <A HREF=..... />, but instead, I write <A
    > HREF=......>....</A>

    Of course you do.

    > Anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Nicolaas
    >
    > PS
    > On the server, I changed it to
    >
    > <SCRIPT SRC="/j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
    > <LINK HREF="/s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />
    >
    > These links do not work locally, when I open my index file on the c
    > drive, but when I look at it on the server, then it does work.

    This is because on your c drive, the reference "/j/j.js" points to
    c:/j/j.js, because a leading slash indicates an absolute path. But on
    the server, they point to http://www.yourdomain.example/j/j.js.

    Sam Hughes, Aug 7, 2004
  10. WindAndWaves

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in news:AWVQc.9948$N77.473275
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > correction: www.rakau.com

    Okay. "What am I doing wrong?" you asked. Here are some examples of
    what you are doing wrong, which might possibly be helpful in the near or
    long future. I have no problems with the style sheet or javascript

    1. You have a popup window indicating what browser I'm using. This is
    redundant with my browser's title bar, throbber, and Help -> About.

    2. Your entire page merely provides an email link. But the link is an
    image which doesn't even indicate itself as a link. But since I
    automatically assume you have it as an entry page, as are most pages with
    centered images, my email client opens up to write a message. I didn't
    want to send you an email. I didn't want my email client to open. Your
    web site is not behaving as users would expect.

    3. <META NAME="Author" CONTENT="www.sunnysideup.co.nz"> -- How do domain
    names author pages?

    4. <TABLE CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER HEIGHT=100% WIDTH=
    100%> -- First of all, you could use CSS for much of this deprecated
    stuff. Also, you need to use quotation marks on values with percentage
    signs. Additionally, the TABLE element does _not_ have a HEIGHT
    attribute.

    5. <TITLE>RAKAU - HOSPITALITY DATABASE - PROPERTY MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
    </TITLE>
    <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="RAKAU - HOSPITALITY DATABASE - PROPERTY
    MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE">
    <META NAME="description" CONTENT="RAKAU - HOSPITALITY DATABASE -
    PROPERTY MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE">

    Make your keywords seperated by commas. Make your description
    descriptive and user-friendly. Don't capitalize every letter - it seems
    like shouting, and the Caps Lock key is less than a centimeter away.

    ----
    Hope that helps.

    Sam

    Sam Hughes, Aug 7, 2004
  11. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    that is what i thought and it works in all circumstances, except internet
    explorer 5.0 for Mac

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  12. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    dear Sam

    I like all your comments, however, none of them are actually related to my
    question.

    I know about j/j vs /j/j, the last one being the absolute path, however, my
    question was: why is the relative path not working on the internet explorer
    V5 for Mac????

    Thank you.

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  13. WindAndWaves

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in

    > dear Sam
    >
    > I like all your comments, however, none of them are actually related
    > to my question.
    >
    > I know about j/j vs /j/j, the last one being the absolute path,
    > however, my question was: why is the relative path not working on the
    > internet explorer V5 for Mac????

    Are you sure it is that the files are not getting loaded?

    Perhaps IE Mac does not understand your CSS or your javascript. Perhaps
    you accidentally left javascript off or something.

    I don't have a Mac, so I can't help you much further. You _could_ try
    putting in a simple document.write line in the javascript to see whether
    the problem lies in the loading of the file, and you could do an
    analogous test with CSS.

    Sam Hughes, Aug 7, 2004
  14. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    Dear Sam

    Yes, I am pretty sure. I was working on the following site:
    www.searchworks.co.nz and the i used the standard setup:

    html in the root directory, one folder (s) with the stylesheets and one
    folder (j) with the javascript

    Now, anyway, I was using the standard s/s.css link, but this did not work (I
    am sure of it, because the whole page was screwed up). then I replaced the
    link with ../s/s.css. Obviously, this does not work locally, but it sure
    worked on the server the "s" folder being in the root directory.

    Thank you for your help Sam.

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  15. WindAndWaves

    Karl Groves Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in message
    > that is what i thought and it works in all circumstances, except internet
    > explorer 5.0 for Mac

    To whom are you speaking to?
    To what are you responding to?

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, Aug 7, 2004
  16. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    Dear Karl

    I was responding to the message from Wil:

    WindAndWaves wrote:
    > correction: www.rakau.com

    The answer is, NO begginning foreward slash.

    "/j/j.css" or whatever - Wrong
    "j/j.css" pr whatever - Right!

    can you help me?

    Thank you

    - Nicolaas

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  17. WindAndWaves

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, Will Gittoes
    says...
    > WindAndWaves wrote:
    > > correction: www.rakau.com
    > >

    > The answer is, NO begginning foreward slash.
    >
    > "/j/j.css" or whatever - Wrong
    > "j/j.css" pr whatever - Right!

    Both are correct.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

    Hywel, Aug 7, 2004
  18. WindAndWaves

    Hywel Guest

    In article <IvXQc.9995$>, WindAndWaves says...
    > dear Sam
    >
    > I like all your comments, however, none of them are actually related to my
    > question.
    >
    > I know about j/j vs /j/j, the last one being the absolute path, however, my
    > question was: why is the relative path not working on the internet explorer
    > V5 for Mac????

    They're both relative paths. An absolute path would be
    <script src="http://somedomain.com/j/j.js" ...

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

    Hywel, Aug 7, 2004
  19. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    Do you know the answer to my question? Why is this path j/j.js not working
    in Internet Explorer 5 for Mac, but /j/j.js is working?????? I have so many

    WindAndWaves, Aug 7, 2004
  20. WindAndWaves

    SpaceGirl Guest

    WindAndWaves wrote:

    > hi folks
    >
    > this extra / is purely superstitious. I am writing plain html. I always
    > write <BR />, because I try to close all tags. So, for example, I do not
    > write <A HREF=..... />, but instead, I write <A HREF=......>....</A>
    >
    > Anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Nicolaas

    The extra / should ONLY be used in XHTML. If you add it in an HTML

    document, you are actually making to document invalid, and it will

    cause browser like Internet Explorer to render the page in "Quirks mode"

    (the resulting page will be randomly wrong).

    HTML. It IS valid XHTML though.

    And back to your question. Not possible to anwser without seeing the
    page ON a server.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 7, 2004