links...

WindAndWaves

Hi Gurus

I have just put together a website, but I noticed that some of my links do
not work with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac.

Here is my directory structure

index.html
about.html
contact.html
[folder s]
[folder j]

in the s folder there is a style sheet s.css
in the j folder there is a javascript file called j.js

here are the link I use in my html files:

<SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
<LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

SpaceGirl

WindAndWaves said:
Hi Gurus

I have just put together a website, but I noticed that some of my links do
not work with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac.

Here is my directory structure

index.html
about.html
contact.html
[folder s]
[folder j]

in the s folder there is a style sheet s.css
in the j folder there is a javascript file called j.js

here are the link I use in my html files:

<SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
<LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

No idea. BTW, seeing as you close your link with /> it suggests you are
trying to write XHTML. XHTML *cannot* have uppercase tags - all the tags
should be lowercase. "SCRIPT" should be "scrip"t, "LINK" should be
"link", "HREF" should be "href"... etc

Put the thing online and then we can tell you what's wrong with the
links though.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Sam Hughes

No idea. BTW, seeing as you close your link with /> it suggests you
are trying to write XHTML. XHTML *cannot* have uppercase tags - all
the tags should be lowercase. "SCRIPT" should be "scrip"t, "LINK"
should be "link", "HREF" should be "href"... etc

Put the thing online and then we can tell you what's wrong with the
links though.

Many times, I even find self-terminated XHTMLish link elements with an
HTML dtd! So many people just copy and paste.

Sam Hughes

Hi Gurus

I have just put together a website, but I noticed that some of my
links do not work with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac.

Here is my directory structure

index.html
about.html
contact.html
[folder s]
[folder j]

in the s folder there is a style sheet s.css
in the j folder there is a javascript file called j.js

here are the link I use in my html files:

<SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
<LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

What am I doing wrong?

URL? Also, have you found this problem to be one specific of IE 5 mac,
or is that the only browser in which you have tested?

I am also curious if you are knowingly trying to write XHTML.

WindAndWaves

hi folks

this extra / is purely superstitious. I am writing plain html. I always
write <BR />, because I try to close all tags. So, for example, I do not
write <A HREF=..... />, but instead, I write <A HREF=......>....</A>

Anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question?

Thank you

Nicolaas

PS
On the server, I changed it to

<SCRIPT SRC="/j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
<LINK HREF="/s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

These links do not work locally, when I open my index file on the c drive,
but when I look at it on the server, then it does work.

Sam Hughes

hi folks

this extra / is purely superstitious. I am writing plain html. I
always write <BR />, because I try to close all tags.

But if you're writing HTML, not XHTML, this is WRONG. Closing all tags
is a good thing, especially with ones like P or LI.
So, for
example, I do not write <A HREF=..... />, but instead, I write <A
HREF=......>....</A>

Of course you do.
Anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question?

Thank you

Nicolaas

PS
On the server, I changed it to

<SCRIPT SRC="/j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
<LINK HREF="/s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

These links do not work locally, when I open my index file on the c
drive, but when I look at it on the server, then it does work.

This is because on your c drive, the reference "/j/j.js" points to
c:/j/j.js, because a leading slash indicates an absolute path. But on
the server, they point to http://www.yourdomain.example/j/j.js.

Sam Hughes

Okay. "What am I doing wrong?" you asked. Here are some examples of
what you are doing wrong, which might possibly be helpful in the near or
long future. I have no problems with the style sheet or javascript

1. You have a popup window indicating what browser I'm using. This is
redundant with my browser's title bar, throbber, and Help -> About.

2. Your entire page merely provides an email link. But the link is an
image which doesn't even indicate itself as a link. But since I
automatically assume you have it as an entry page, as are most pages with
centered images, my email client opens up to write a message. I didn't
want to send you an email. I didn't want my email client to open. Your
web site is not behaving as users would expect.

3. <META NAME="Author" CONTENT="www.sunnysideup.co.nz"> -- How do domain
names author pages?

4. <TABLE CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER HEIGHT=100% WIDTH=
100%> -- First of all, you could use CSS for much of this deprecated
stuff. Also, you need to use quotation marks on values with percentage
signs. Additionally, the TABLE element does _not_ have a HEIGHT
attribute.

5. <TITLE>RAKAU - HOSPITALITY DATABASE - PROPERTY MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
</TITLE>
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="RAKAU - HOSPITALITY DATABASE - PROPERTY
MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="RAKAU - HOSPITALITY DATABASE -
PROPERTY MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE">

Make your keywords seperated by commas. Make your description
descriptive and user-friendly. Don't capitalize every letter - it seems
like shouting, and the Caps Lock key is less than a centimeter away.

WindAndWaves

that is what i thought and it works in all circumstances, except internet
explorer 5.0 for Mac

WindAndWaves

dear Sam

I like all your comments, however, none of them are actually related to my
question.

I know about j/j vs /j/j, the last one being the absolute path, however, my
question was: why is the relative path not working on the internet explorer
V5 for Mac????

Thank you.

Sam Hughes

dear Sam

I like all your comments, however, none of them are actually related
to my question.

I know about j/j vs /j/j, the last one being the absolute path,
however, my question was: why is the relative path not working on the
internet explorer V5 for Mac????

Are you sure it is that the files are not getting loaded?

Perhaps IE Mac does not understand your CSS or your javascript. Perhaps
you accidentally left javascript off or something.

I don't have a Mac, so I can't help you much further. You _could_ try
putting in a simple document.write line in the javascript to see whether
the problem lies in the loading of the file, and you could do an
analogous test with CSS.

WindAndWaves

Dear Sam

Yes, I am pretty sure. I was working on the following site:
www.searchworks.co.nz and the i used the standard setup:

html in the root directory, one folder (s) with the stylesheets and one
folder (j) with the javascript

Now, anyway, I was using the standard s/s.css link, but this did not work (I
am sure of it, because the whole page was screwed up). then I replaced the
link with ../s/s.css. Obviously, this does not work locally, but it sure
worked on the server the "s" folder being in the root directory.

Thank you for your help Sam.

Karl Groves

WindAndWaves said:
that is what i thought and it works in all circumstances, except internet
explorer 5.0 for Mac

To whom are you speaking to?
To what are you responding to?

-Karl

WindAndWaves

Dear Karl

I was responding to the message from Wil:

The answer is, NO begginning foreward slash.

"/j/j.css" or whatever - Wrong
"j/j.css" pr whatever - Right!

can you help me?

Thank you

- Nicolaas

Hywel

dear Sam

I like all your comments, however, none of them are actually related to my
question.

I know about j/j vs /j/j, the last one being the absolute path, however, my
question was: why is the relative path not working on the internet explorer
V5 for Mac????

They're both relative paths. An absolute path would be
<script src="http://somedomain.com/j/j.js" ...

WindAndWaves

Do you know the answer to my question? Why is this path j/j.js not working
in Internet Explorer 5 for Mac, but /j/j.js is working?????? I have so many

WindAndWaves said:
hi folks

this extra / is purely superstitious. I am writing plain html. I always
write <BR />, because I try to close all tags. So, for example, I do not
write <A HREF=..... />, but instead, I write <A HREF=......>....</A>

Anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question?

Thank you

Nicolaas

The extra / should ONLY be used in XHTML. If you add it in an HTML

document, you are actually making to document invalid, and it will

cause browser like Internet Explorer to render the page in "Quirks mode"

(the resulting page will be randomly wrong).

HTML. It IS valid XHTML though.

And back to your question. Not possible to anwser without seeing the
page ON a server.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)