    Nowhere Guest

    How do I create links which appear on the left hand side of a page, with
    other text written alongside them? Thank you.
    Nowhere, Jul 18, 2005

  2. On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:52:33 +0100, Nowhere <> wrote:

    > How do I create links which appear on the left hand side of a page, with
    > other text written alongside them?

    Find a page that has this feature. Left click your mouse. Study the source. Try
    create a simple example from what you find. Learn and grow from there.

    At least that is how I did it.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jul 18, 2005

  3. On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:00:59 +0200, Barbara de Zoete <>
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:52:33 +0100, Nowhere <> wrote:
    >
    >> How do I create links which appear on the left hand side of a page, with
    >> other text written alongside them?

    > Find a page that has this feature. Left click your

    mouse. ^^^^
    erm, right click

    Barbara de Zoete, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Nowhere wrote:

    > How do I create links which appear on the left hand side of a page, with
    > other text written alongside them? Thank you.

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=TwoColumnLayouts

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 18, 2005
  6. "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:00:59 +0200, Barbara de Zoete <>
    >
    > > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:52:33 +0100, Nowhere <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> How do I create links which appear on the left hand side of a page, with
    > >> other text written alongside them?

    > > Find a page that has this feature. Left click your
    > > mouse. ^^^^

    > erm, right click

    My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob! ;-)

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob! ;-)

    Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
    *mouse* that's defective... :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2005
  8. Nowhere

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Barbara de Zoete quothed

    > > Find a page that has this feature. Left click your

    > mouse. ^^^^
    > erm, right click

    Apparently some people learn and grow better than others.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jul 19, 2005
  9. Nowhere

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed

    > Joel Shepherd wrote:
    >
    > > My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob! ;-)

    > Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
    > *mouse* that's defective... :)

    Yeah. Push one of my wife's buttons and see how defective her mouse
    becomes.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jul 19, 2005
  10. On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:57:45 GMT, Joel Shepherd <> wrote:

    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:00:59 +0200, Barbara de Zoete <>

    >> > Find a page that has this feature. Left click your
    >> > mouse. ^^^^

    >> erm, right click

    > My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob! ;-)

    LOL

    Barbara de Zoete, Jul 19, 2005
  11. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed

    >> Joel Shepherd wrote:

    >> > My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob! ;-)

    >> Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
    >> *mouse* that's defective... :)

    > Yeah. Push one of my wife's buttons and see how defective her mouse
    > becomes.

    <chuckling>

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2005
  12. Nowhere

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Blinky the Shark <>
    >
    > Joel Shepherd wrote:
    >
    >> My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob! ;-)

    > Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
    > *mouse* that's defective... :)

    Sounds right about the OP, what a horrible thing he said and for no good
    reason at all.

    But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
    like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
    one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
    click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
    All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
    functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
    have it all done before you release the one button.

    Each to his own I guess. Actually I am designing a mouse for those who like
    lots of things on it. So far my prototype is a bit clumsy. I have this old
    extended keyboard and I sort of fitted a wheel on a corner and you sort of
    balance it and with a bit of training can get to all sorts of keys to do all
    sorts of things... Personally I don't like it but it may have a market for
    you guys that like to do a lot with a lot...

    :)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 20, 2005
  13. dorayme wrote:
    >> From: Blinky the Shark <>

    >> Joel Shepherd wrote:

    >>> My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob! ;-)

    >> Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
    >> *mouse* that's defective... :)

    > Sounds right about the OP, what a horrible thing he said and for no good
    > reason at all.

    > But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
    > like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
    > one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
    > click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.

    I'm happy with three. It's not like I'm pushing for nine or ten. :)

    > All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
    > functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    > mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
    > have it all done before you release the one button.

    Yeah, I used to have a slow mouse, too. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2005
  14. Nowhere

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Blinky the Shark <>
    >
    >> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
    >> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    >> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
    >> have it all done before you release the one button.

    > Yeah, I used to have a slow mouse, too. ;)

    Texan farmer on a visit to Israel: "So, how big is your farm Mr Goldberg?"
    "Well, see that cow over there, that's the East boundary, that shed over to
    your right about 300 yards, that's the North edge...". "Why hell!" says the
    Texan, "I can drive all day long back on my farm in Texas and still not
    reach my boundaries!" And the reply was "Ah yes... I had a car like that
    once already!"

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 20, 2005
  15. dorayme wrote:
    >> From: Blinky the Shark <>

    >>> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
    >>> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    >>> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
    >>> have it all done before you release the one button.

    >> Yeah, I used to have a slow mouse, too. ;)

    > Texan farmer on a visit to Israel: "So, how big is your farm Mr Goldberg?"
    > "Well, see that cow over there, that's the East boundary, that shed over to
    > your right about 300 yards, that's the North edge...". "Why hell!" says the
    > Texan, "I can drive all day long back on my farm in Texas and still not
    > reach my boundaries!" And the reply was "Ah yes... I had a car like that
    > once already!"

    Ayup. Having heard jokes on that theme for the last 50 or so years, I'm
    thinking that my comment was shaped by them, if not consciously. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2005
  16. dorayme wrote:
    <snip>
    > But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
    > like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
    > one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
    > click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
    > All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
    > functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    > mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
    > have it all done before you release the one button.

    Must be a b*tch drawing in a graphic prog with that thing! ;-)

    I fell in love with my scroll wheel and find my self lost when faced
    with a mouse without one. The thumb button hasn't been of much use, but
    at least with Logitech, I cannot program it to a key that would be of
    use in a game....

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 25, 2005
  17. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button
    >> one -
    >> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is
    >> effectively
    >> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
    >> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with
    >> less.
    >> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines,
    >> the
    >> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    >> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu
    >> and you
    >> have it all done before you release the one button.

    Seems as a kinda weird statement.. how can you ever be more efficient
    with one hand, than if you would train your vingers [remember why they
    put more than 1 key on the keyboard, same principal; but more extreme ;) ]

    Evert
    Evert | Collab, Jul 25, 2005
  18. Nowhere

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Jonathan N. Little" <>
    >
    > dorayme wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
    >> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
    >> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
    >> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
    >> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
    >> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    >> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
    >> have it all done before you release the one button.

    > Must be a b*tch drawing in a graphic prog with that thing! ;-)

    Depends on one's needs. Personally, on a job, I have nothing better to do
    with both of my hands than use them for the work. Perhaps you need to keep
    one spare for something else?

    Say more as to what you imagine would be the problem? I find my Apple Pro
    USB mouse very precise and easy to use in graphic programs.

    On a mac at least, one can modify the action of the mouse in various ways. I
    have mentioned the time based contextual menu that pops up next to the
    arrow. There are also modifier keys, pressing command on the keyboard allows
    scrolling by simply moving the mouse up and down (a hand appears as in
    Illustrator for positioning the canvas...). And so on... It is a different
    way of doing things using the features that already exist and are quite - er
    um... - handy like the keyboard.

    Each to his own of course but it suits me because too much mouse work gives
    me problems with my hands, wrists, tendons ... the less and simpler to do
    with a mouse the better...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 26, 2005
  19. Nowhere

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Evert | Collab <>
    >
    >> dorayme wrote: <snip>
    >>
    >>> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
    >>> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
    >>> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
    >>> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
    >>> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
    >>> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
    >>> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
    >>> have it all done before you release the one button.
    >>>

    > Seems as a kinda weird statement.. how can you ever be more efficient with one
    > hand, than if you would train your vingers [remember why they put more than 1
    > key on the keyboard, same principal; but more extreme ;) ]

    You need to think this through in a bigger context and it will not seem so
    weird. If you want more I am always happy to oblige...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 26, 2005
  20. Nowhere

    dorayme Guest

    ?
    > Seems as a kinda weird statement.. how can you ever be more efficient with one
    > hand, than if you would train your vingers [remember why they put more than 1
    > key on the keyboard, same principal; but more extreme ;) ]

    Just another thought about your perplexity: I don't think you realise just
    how weird is the statement. The full extent of its weirdness has to do with
    what might be called The Zen of Mousing (the title, as it happens, of a
    forthcoming book of mine).

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 26, 2005