Linksys WVC54GC Streaming Video

Discussion in 'HTML' started by michael@mck.net.com, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a Linksys WVC54GC network camera that I am trying
    to integrate into a website and to enable browsers
    other than IE to use.

    Linksys, in their ever-short-sighted ways, decided to make
    this device only compatible with IE. It requires IE and
    ActiveX. However, you can access the video stream directly
    with the following URL http://1.2.3.4/img/video.asf
    (where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the device).

    If I try to connect to this URL directly with Firefox, I get
    prompted to download the file and a save dialog box comes up.
    The download never finishes because it is an endless stream,
    but if I grab the file and play it later, it plays fine. So,
    the data is there.

    I have tried all kinds of ways to embed the stream into a web
    page with no luck. The player window comes up and I can click
    on play, stop, etc, but I only get the first frame of video
    and the player keeps buffering it climbs to 100% and then
    starts over again.

    If I use wget from a command line, I get the data stream into
    a file and it never ends, so I have to suspect that the camera
    itself is working fine and if I connect to it using the Linksys
    ActiveX interface it works fine but that's using IE and I
    don't want to do that.

    I would like to create a web page that has several of these
    player windows in it from various cameras, but don't want to be
    limited to IE or have to use ActiveX to do it.

    Right now, I cant even get a web page (Apache & Firefox) to play
    a static ASF filemeaning one that isn't streaming live (just a
    file I have saved on disk). I think if I could get that working,
    then maybe the live streaming wont be too far behind.

    I have attached the code I have so far below.

    Thanks to all in advance,
    -Michael

    =================
    Sample Code Below
    =================

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    </HEAD>

    <!-- begin embedded WindowsMedia file... -->
    <OBJECT id='mediaPlayer' width="320" height="285"
    classid='CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95'
    codebase='http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701'
    standby='Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components...' type='application/x-oleobject'>
    <param name='fileName' value="video.asf">
    <param name='animationatStart' value='true'>
    <param name='transparentatStart' value='true'>
    <param name='autoStart' value="true">
    <param name='showControls' value="true">
    <param name='loop' value="false">
    <EMBED type='application/x-mplayer2'
    pluginspage='http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/'
    id='mediaPlayer' name='mediaPlayer' displaysize='4' autosize='-1'
    bgcolor='darkblue' showcontrols="true" showtracker='-1'
    showdisplay='0' showstatusbar='-1' videoborder3d='-1' width="320" height="285"
    src="video.asf" autostart="true" designtimesp='5311' loop="false">
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>
    <!-- ...end embedded WindowsMedia file -->
    <!-- begin link to launch external media player... -->
    <!-- ...end link to launch external media player... -->

    , Dec 27, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I have a Linksys WVC54GC network camera that I am trying
    > to integrate into a website and to enable browsers
    > other than IE to use.
    > Linksys, in their ever-short-sighted ways, decided to make
    > this device only compatible with IE.

    If this was a problem why did you buy it? The specs clearly state that
    it uses asf format.
    The asf format is used with Microsoft media player. It can easily be
    read by the Microsoft Media player plugin for Firefox, IF you want it
    to. The choice is that of the viewer.

    > I would like to create a web page that has several of these
    > player windows in it from various cameras, but don't want to be
    > limited to IE or have to use ActiveX to do it.

    Have you googled "asf format firefox"?

    Travis Newbury, Dec 28, 2006