Linksys WVC54GC Streaming Video

michael

Hello all,

I have a Linksys WVC54GC network camera that I am trying
to integrate into a website and to enable browsers
other than IE to use.

Linksys, in their ever-short-sighted ways, decided to make
this device only compatible with IE. It requires IE and
ActiveX. However, you can access the video stream directly
with the following URL http://1.2.3.4/img/video.asf
(where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the device).

If I try to connect to this URL directly with Firefox, I get
prompted to download the file and a save dialog box comes up.
The download never finishes because it is an endless stream,
but if I grab the file and play it later, it plays fine. So,
the data is there.

I have tried all kinds of ways to embed the stream into a web
page with no luck. The player window comes up and I can click
on play, stop, etc, but I only get the first frame of video
and the player keeps buffering it climbs to 100% and then
starts over again.

If I use wget from a command line, I get the data stream into
a file and it never ends, so I have to suspect that the camera
itself is working fine and if I connect to it using the Linksys
ActiveX interface it works fine but that's using IE and I
don't want to do that.

I would like to create a web page that has several of these
player windows in it from various cameras, but don't want to be
limited to IE or have to use ActiveX to do it.

Right now, I cant even get a web page (Apache & Firefox) to play
a static ASF filemeaning one that isn't streaming live (just a
file I have saved on disk). I think if I could get that working,
then maybe the live streaming wont be too far behind.

I have attached the code I have so far below.

Thanks to all in advance,
-Michael

=================
Sample Code Below
=================

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>

<!-- begin embedded WindowsMedia file... -->
<OBJECT id='mediaPlayer' width="320" height="285"
classid='CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95'
codebase='http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701'
standby='Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components...' type='application/x-oleobject'>
<param name='fileName' value="video.asf">
<param name='animationatStart' value='true'>
<param name='transparentatStart' value='true'>
<param name='autoStart' value="true">
<param name='showControls' value="true">
<param name='loop' value="false">
<EMBED type='application/x-mplayer2'
pluginspage='http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/'
id='mediaPlayer' name='mediaPlayer' displaysize='4' autosize='-1'
bgcolor='darkblue' showcontrols="true" showtracker='-1'
showdisplay='0' showstatusbar='-1' videoborder3d='-1' width="320" height="285"
src="video.asf" autostart="true" designtimesp='5311' loop="false">
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>
<!-- ...end embedded WindowsMedia file -->
<!-- begin link to launch external media player... -->
<!-- ...end link to launch external media player... -->

Travis Newbury

I have a Linksys WVC54GC network camera that I am trying
to integrate into a website and to enable browsers
other than IE to use.
Linksys, in their ever-short-sighted ways, decided to make
this device only compatible with IE.

If this was a problem why did you buy it? The specs clearly state that
it uses asf format.
The asf format is used with Microsoft media player. It can easily be
read by the Microsoft Media player plugin for Firefox, IF you want it
to. The choice is that of the viewer.
I would like to create a web page that has several of these
player windows in it from various cameras, but don't want to be
limited to IE or have to use ActiveX to do it.

Have you googled "asf format firefox"?