Linq RegEx format

John

this does eleminate strings with letters from the results, any ideas
myPattern = "08-____%[^A-Z^a-z]"

Dim h As Integer = 0

Dim i As Integer = InStr(myPattern, "%")

Dim job = (From j In dbJob.JobRecs _

Where Linq.SqlClient.SqlMethods.Like(j.JobNumber, myPattern) _

And j.OwnerID = hfOwnerID.Value _

Select j.JobNumber).Max.Substring(h, i).ToString

Lloyd Sheen

John said:
this does eleminate strings with letters from the results, any ideas
myPattern = "08-____%[^A-Z^a-z]"

Dim h As Integer = 0

Dim i As Integer = InStr(myPattern, "%")

Dim job = (From j In dbJob.JobRecs _

Where Linq.SqlClient.SqlMethods.Like(j.JobNumber, myPattern) _

And j.OwnerID = hfOwnerID.Value _

Select j.JobNumber).Max.Substring(h, i).ToString

I have an idea. Ask a question.

LS

bruce barker

first its not a regex expression, its a sql pattern match expression and has
a different format.

second it depend on want your column values look like. your match just says
to match any string at least 8 characters long, starting with "08-" and not
ending in a letter. the following will match

08-abcd1
08-abcdegf.
08-aj.><>()*&^%$#@!

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

John

Thanks Bruce, my goal is to return only max value that has only numeric
characters, so I can increment up by 1, I thought [^A-Z^a-z] acted as an
overall filter not just on the last character, in Access db I could use #
instead of _ as a wildcard to return only numeric values but can't find that
in SQL, any thoughts as to how to write my pattern match? I parse the string
after this to get just the 4 characters after the 08- to increment up.

John

John said:
this does eleminate strings with letters from the results, any ideas
myPattern = "08-____%[^A-Z^a-z]"

Dim h As Integer = 0

Dim i As Integer = InStr(myPattern, "%")

Dim job = (From j In dbJob.JobRecs _

Where Linq.SqlClient.SqlMethods.Like(j.JobNumber, myPattern) _

And j.OwnerID = hfOwnerID.Value _

Select j.JobNumber).Max.Substring(h, i).ToString

bruce barker

unlike regex, sql matches only support wild card or single char match,
no real catches. [] match is a single char match.

you best bet is to write a user defined function that does the match.
actually if you are allowed to write clr function, its easy to a real
regex match. something like:

[Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlFunction()]
public static bool RegExMatch(string input, string pattern)
{
return new Regex(pattern).IsMatch(input);
}

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

John said:
this does eleminate strings with letters from the results, any ideas
myPattern = "08-____%[^A-Z^a-z]"

Dim h As Integer = 0

Dim i As Integer = InStr(myPattern, "%")

Dim job = (From j In dbJob.JobRecs _

Where Linq.SqlClient.SqlMethods.Like(j.JobNumber, myPattern) _

And j.OwnerID = hfOwnerID.Value _

Select j.JobNumber).Max.Substring(h, i).ToString

John

I tried this and got the results I was looking for, returns only a 4 place
numeric after the dash, is it ok as you see it:
myPattern = "08-[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]%"

I will check out your suggestion too.
Thanks

: