    Any clues why?
    I am new to the non windows world.

    Thanks

    Dave, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Dave

    Karthik Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.
    > The error message was something like "can't execute a.out"
    >
    > - works ok on linux
    > - ran chmod so Sun user has execute/read/etc permissions. chmod u=rwx
    >
    > Any clues why?
    > I am new to the non windows world.
    >
    > Thanks

    1) g++ is not a C compiler.
    2) This newsgroup is meant only for C language related issues. For
    everything else, please consult the appropriate compiler related
    newsgroups.

    --
    Karthik
    ------

    Karthik, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Dave

    Artie Gold Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.

    ....which indocates it's a C++ program, making it off topic here.

    > The error message was something like "can't execute a.out"

    Binaries are not portable.

    > - works ok on linux
    > - ran chmod so Sun user has execute/read/etc permissions. chmod u=rwx
    >
    > Any clues why?

    Binaries are not portable.
    > I am new to the non windows world.

    Indeed. Compile it on Solaris -- and if your code is both portable and
    correct (i.e. does not invoke undefined behavior), all will be well.

    HTH,
    --ag

    --
    Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas

    Artie Gold, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Dave

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    (Dave) writes:

    > Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.

    Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
    only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
    library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
    people expect.

    For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
    on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to explore
    if you have questions about these topics. Please do observe proper
    netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. In particular,
    you should read the group's charter and FAQ, if any (FAQs are
    available from www.faqs.org and other sources). If those fail to
    answer your question then you should browse through at least two weeks
    of recent articles to make sure that your question has not already
    been answered.

    * OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
    access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
    "piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
    directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
    comp.os.linux.development.apps.

    * Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
    locations of header files. Ask about these in
    compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
    compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

    * Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
    assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
    comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
    be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

    * ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
    code to C. These questions are both processor- and
    OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
    newsgroups.

    * Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
    algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
    question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
    request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
    comp.theory may be appropriate.

    * Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
    facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
    be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
    has features for interoperating with C, so consider
    comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

    * The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
    the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

    * C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
    to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
    as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

    * Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
    such as alt.test.

    news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
    newsgroup for a given topic.

    --
    "...what folly I commit, I dedicate to you."
    --William Shakespeare, _Troilus and Cressida_

    Ben Pfaff, Apr 26, 2004
  5. Dave

    Darklight Guest

    Have you tried compiling the program in solaris
    I think is like tring to run a compiled program in linux
    on a windows machine it wont work. you have to compile the source
    code in each os

    Darklight, Apr 26, 2004
  6. Dave

    John Bode Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Compiled using g++ on linux and then I tried to execute it on Solaris.
    > The error message was something like "can't execute a.out"
    >
    > - works ok on linux
    > - ran chmod so Sun user has execute/read/etc permissions. chmod u=rwx
    >
    > Any clues why?
    > I am new to the non windows world.
    >
    > Thanks

    As someone else pointed out, binaries are not portable. Machine code meant
    for an x86 architecture will not run on SPARC, and vice-versa. You must
    recompile the source code on the target machine, or use a cross-compiler (I
    think g++ has an option to generate code for specific architectures other
    than the one currently being used, but don't take my word for it).

    As others have pointed out, questions about specific implementations of C
    are off-topic; this newsgroup is dedicated to questions about the language
    itself, not how to make it work on specific hardware.

    John Bode, Apr 27, 2004