Linux cron : problem with a ruby task

Zouplaz

Hello, since two days I've added a cron.daily task that launch the task
runner of my Ruby on Rails application

Two times I had problem : a segfault the first day, and a 'error' the
second (nothing more than 'error', and the ruby programs did things
really wrong

I've lauched this program several times from bash and everything seems
to be ok

Is there something wrong with cron and script/runner ??

You advice is welcome, thanks

CentOS 4, ruby 1.8.4, latest version of RoR

Zouplaz

le 14/09/2006 13:20, Zouplaz nous a dit:
Hello, since two days I've added a cron.daily task that launch the task
runner of my Ruby on Rails application

Two times I had problem : a segfault the first day, and a 'error' the
second (nothing more than 'error', and the ruby programs did things
really wrong

I've lauched this program several times from bash and everything seems
to be ok

Is there something wrong with cron and script/runner ??

You advice is welcome, thanks

CentOS 4, ruby 1.8.4, latest version of RoR

This time something else occured (from bash) that could be related - I
got this error

glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list:

What could it be ?

Leslie Viljoen

le 14/09/2006 13:20, Zouplaz nous a dit:

This time something else occured (from bash) that could be related - I
got this error

glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list:

What could it be ?

Sounds serious! Have you built anything manually? It could be a
library version problem, and if so, very hard to find and fix. If any
new kernel modules have been built, have you tried running "ldconfig'?

If other programs are also running strangely I'd suspect a memory or
disk problem. Also, check your CPU fans and make sure the machine is
not overheating.

Les

William Crawford

Zouplaz said:
glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list:

What could it be ?

Assuming that your program is not at fault and runs perfectly, random
errors (especially memory corruption and segfaults) are generally a sign
of bad hardware. Probably memory, possibly CPU or something else.

There's also the possibility that another process is going crazy and
overwriting your app's memory.