linux editors

Chris Harris

Hi,

I'm just curious.

What editors do you guys use for web development in the Linux environment?

I'm mainly interested in XHTML, CSS, PHP and Perl.

I've played around with Quanta, Vim, Xemacs, Kate etc.. but never really
settled on anything.

Chris

Toby A Inkster

Chris said:
What editors do you guys use for web development in the Linux environment?
I'm mainly interested in XHTML, CSS, PHP and Perl.

I use Nedit <URL:http://www.nedit.org/>

It's Lesstif/Motif based so the UI is a little grey, but it is
well-designed and powerful, yet easy to use.

Chris said:
Hi,

I'm just curious.

What editors do you guys use for web development in the Linux environment?

I'm mainly interested in XHTML, CSS, PHP and Perl.

I've played around with Quanta, Vim, Xemacs, Kate etc.. but never really
settled on anything.

Kwrite (of KDE) has just about everything I use in an editor without
extra useless stuff. It has highlighting for languages,
and its appearance is just configurable enough...

It runs nicely under IceWM and Xfce, too, if you prefer a window
manager to a big bloated desktop.

Chris Harris

I use Nedit <URL:http://www.nedit.org/>

It's Lesstif/Motif based so the UI is a little grey, but it is
well-designed and powerful, yet easy to use.

Thanks for that. It looks ok at first glance. For single documents anyway.

I would like to be able to open several documents at the same time when
debugging, say; a stylesheet, a few xhtml pages and includes and a php
script. I'd preffer them to be in the same window and accessable by GUI tabs
or some key stroke, as in xemacs or quanta for example.

Does nedit allow that? I only seem to be able to open documents in a split
or separate windows, and I can't edit anything in the new windows (maybe
it's a bug or configuration prob on my system, Mandrake 9.1).

I quite like quanta but is seems to be rather buggy, especially the project
managament stuff.

Chris

Chris Harris

Kwrite (of KDE) has just about everything I use in an editor without
extra useless stuff. It has highlighting for languages,
and its appearance is just configurable enough...

Yes the KDE Kwrite, Kate, Quanta products are ok. But I want multiple
document capability; xhtml, css and php all open at the same time, and for
them to be easily selectable via a GUI tab or keystroke. Quanta sort of
provides this but is very buggy.

Xemacs does all I want for sure, but is a bit of a beast to learn!! maybe
it's worth the effort.

Chris

Dylan Parry

What editors do you guys use for web development in the Linux environment?

In the past I have used Quanta+ and Bluefish. Bluefish was quite simple,
yet in my opinion was slow and bloated. Quanta+ was good, but seeing as it
used KWrite as a foundation to build on I figured that the stuff it adds
simply wasn't worth it. So now I just use KWrite, which IMHO is as good as
any editor can get!

Toby A Inkster

Chris said:
I would like to be able to open several documents at the same time when
debugging, say; a stylesheet, a few xhtml pages and includes and a php
script. I'd preffer them to be in the same window and accessable by GUI tabs
or some key stroke, as in xemacs or quanta for example.

Does nedit allow that?

It does allow for you to open multiple documents in one instance of the
program.

One nice feature of nedit is "Open Selected". For examlple if you are
editing an HTML file and with your mouse highlight the relative URL of
another HTML page, or the stylesheet, then go to File > Open Selected and
it will open that file.

However it doesn't let you open them in tabs (try gedit for that!). If you
like tabs, try using something like PWM -- this allows you to have tabs
in *any* program.

Chris Leonard

What editors do you guys use for web development in the Linux environment?

This might give rise to a few comments .... look no further than vi, it's
powerful, flexible and just a mother beautiful editor!

Isofarro

Chris said:
What editors do you guys use for web development in the Linux environment?
I've played around with Quanta, Vim, Xemacs, Kate etc.. but never really
settled on anything.

I have a soft-spot for Bluefish, but I'm trying hard to get to grips with
Xemacs.

Isofarro

Chris said:
But I want multiple
document capability; xhtml, css and php all open at the same time, and for
them to be easily selectable via a GUI tab or keystroke. Quanta sort of
provides this but is very buggy.

Are you using Quanta Gold or the Quanta that gets bundled with KDE?
Xemacs does all I want for sure, but is a bit of a beast to learn!! maybe
it's worth the effort.

Yeah. The only feature its missing is an operating system.

Jason Kirk

Hi,

I'm just curious.

What editors do you guys use for web development in the Linux environment?

I'm mainly interested in XHTML, CSS, PHP and Perl.

I've played around with Quanta, Vim, Xemacs, Kate etc.. but never really
settled on anything.

Personally I use jEdit with the xml plug-ins. Its java so is the
same on every OS and the virtual file system allows me to "mount" my linux
directories from windows. I use it for xml, xhtml, css and php. The
plug-ins provide stuff like xpath searchs on the current file, tag
completion and validation of a xml file if a DTD reference is supplied.

-Jason

Isofarro

m said:
Jedit has all those features, if you don't mind a bit of a pause at
startup. You'll need Java running on your system.

Eclipse may also be a decent option here, especially with the multitude of
plugins.

Chris said:
Yes the KDE Kwrite, Kate, Quanta products are ok. But I want multiple
document capability; xhtml, css and php all open at the same time, and for
them to be easily selectable via a GUI tab or keystroke. Quanta sort of
provides this but is very buggy.

Xemacs does all I want for sure, but is a bit of a beast to learn!! maybe
it's worth the effort.

Chris
Jedit has all those features, if you don't mind a bit of a pause at
startup. You'll need Java running on your system.

CJ

This might give rise to a few comments .... look no further than vi, it's
powerful, flexible and just a mother beautiful editor!

In some ways I agree, and I've produced a couple of sites using it, well
vim. Nice thing about vi is that it's always there, even when you telnet
(or whatever) into a server.

Isofarro

CJ said:
The one that is bundled with KDE 3.1.4

Is there much difference?

Yep, Quanta gold (as part of the Kompany's range of software) is a complete
from the ground up rewrite.