Linux / iPlanet / BEA Setup ????

Doug

We need to setup a small development enviroment to support a new
project. The client has the following enviroment that we would like to
recreate in our lab;

Linux / iPlanet / BEA Web Logic

Can I buy a simple Intel box (IBM xSeries) with Red Hat and run both
iPlanet and BEA Weblogic on it? Looks like BEA will work but I can't
seem to find out if I can get iPlanet (now Sun ONE?) and if it will
run on an Intel/Red Hat box. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Btw, we're in Dallas and would gladly pay someone for their time to
help get this all setup.

-ds

Sudsy

Doug said:
We need to setup a small development enviroment to support a new
project. The client has the following enviroment that we would like to
recreate in our lab;

Linux / iPlanet / BEA Web Logic

Does it have to duplicate this configuration? You'd save yourself
time and trouble by using WebLogic to serve the static web pages.
Btw, we're in Dallas and would gladly pay someone for their time to
help get this all setup.

Setting up WebLogic on Linux is fairly straight-forward. Buy a box,
install Linux, provide SSH access using certs and I could connect
and perform the installation remotely.

Will Hartung

Sudsy said:
Does it have to duplicate this configuration? You'd save yourself
time and trouble by using WebLogic to serve the static web pages.

Yea, unless there is a specific requirement to have iPlanet (and by iPlanet
I'm assuming the web server part of iPlanet), iPlanet is essentially
redundant in this configuration.
Setting up WebLogic on Linux is fairly straight-forward. Buy a box,
install Linux, provide SSH access using certs and I could connect
and perform the installation remotely.

Not to steal work from Sudsy, but Weblogic is a pretty painless install to
get to a working environment. It's worth an hour of your time if you have it
to try it yourself before calling in outside help. You'll probably have more
issues with the iPlanet->WLS integration than with WLS itself.

Regards,

Will Hartung
([email protected])

Sudsy

Will said:
Yea, unless there is a specific requirement to have iPlanet (and by iPlanet
I'm assuming the web server part of iPlanet), iPlanet is essentially
redundant in this configuration.
Not to steal work from Sudsy, but Weblogic is a pretty painless install to
get to a working environment. It's worth an hour of your time if you have it
to try it yourself before calling in outside help. You'll probably have more
issues with the iPlanet->WLS integration than with WLS itself.

I got the idea that it was the (no longer available) Web Server myself.
For the record, I agree with your suggestion. That's why I noted that
installing WebLogic isn't rocket science. Having performed the
installation myself on a Linux box, it just might go a bit quicker.
That said, there's much understanding to be gained by doing it them-
selves.