Linux java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mit Majithia, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Mit Majithia

    Mit Majithia Guest

    Hi,
    We are running a web application which is a stateless system and
    gets a lot of hits a day per server.
    We are running the following configuration :
    Red Hat Linux 7.3
    Linux Kernel 2.4.20-19.7smp
    Sun JVM JDK 1.4.1_02
    The machine has 2GB of RAM and we have set the -XMx=1500M.

    Pretty much everyday after about 200,000 - 250,000 hits, the
    server get the error shown below. We have looked at the memory usage
    and it looks ok.The application does load up some data and use a
    substantial amount of memory(about 500M). But we looking through both
    top and Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() we see that it has still
    not close to the 1500M limit that we have set. Also we use the
    following code on a jsp page to montior the threads and they don't
    seem to be spiralling out of control

    Thread[] threads = new Thread[1000];
    ThreadGroup tg = Thread.currentThread().getThreadGroup();

    while (tg.getParent() != null)
    {
    tg = tg.getParent();
    }

    tg.enumerate( threads );
    for (int i = 0; i < threads.length; i++)
    {
    if (threads != null)
    {
    out.print(i + ": ");
    out.print( "pri=" + threads.getPriority() + " ");
    out.print( "ac=" + threads.activeCount() + " ");
    out.println(threads);

    Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be ? What the
    possible issues could be ? We have looked at Memory and threads and
    they don't seem to be the issue. Is here any documentation about the
    cases that would through up this error ? Any help in this matter would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mit

    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:392)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
    ----- Root Cause -----
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
    at java.lang.Thread.start(Native Method)
    at com.i411.search.controller.LowLevelSearch.performSocketSearch(LowLevelSearch.java:428)
    at com.i411.search.controller.LowLevelSearch.performNetworkSearch(LowLevelSearch.java:348)
    at com.i411.search.controller.LowLevelSearch.ExecuteSearch(LowLevelSearch.java:145)
    at com.i411.search.controller.SearchController.catItemsSearch(SearchController.java:407)
    at com.i411.search.controller.SearchController.getSearchResults(SearchController.java:84)
    at com.i411.dex.searchflow.SearchExecutor.run(SearchExecutor.java:45)
    at com.i411.dex.searchflow.BusinessNameSearchExecutor.run(BusinessNameSearchExecutor.java:82)
    at com.i411.dex.searchflow.DexSearchFlow.performSearchFlow(DexSearchFlow.java:335)
    at com.i411.web.common.WebController.executeSearchWithSearchFlow(WebController.java:137)
    at com.i411.web.common.WebController.executeSearchWithSearchFlow(WebController.java:182)
    at com.i411.dex.xml.XMLSearchServlet.PerformQuerySearch(XMLSearchServlet.java:260)
    at com.i411.dex.xml.XMLSearchServlet.doGet(XMLSearchServlet.java:178)
    at com.i411.dex.xml.XMLSearchServlet.doPost(XMLSearchServlet.java:366)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)

    Mit Majithia, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Hi !

    We also encountered this problem before.

    You will probably have to play with the "ulimit" command.

    Regards,

    Arnaud

    "Mit Majithia" <> a écrit dans le message news:
    > Hi,
    > We are running a web application which is a stateless system and
    > gets a lot of hits a day per server.
    > We are running the following configuration :
    > Red Hat Linux 7.3
    > Linux Kernel 2.4.20-19.7smp
    > Sun JVM JDK 1.4.1_02
    > The machine has 2GB of RAM and we have set the -XMx=1500M.
    >
    > Pretty much everyday after about 200,000 - 250,000 hits, the
    > server get the error shown below. We have looked at the memory usage
    > and it looks ok.The application does load up some data and use a
    > substantial amount of memory(about 500M). But we looking through both
    > top and Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() we see that it has still
    > not close to the 1500M limit that we have set. Also we use the
    > following code on a jsp page to montior the threads and they don't
    > seem to be spiralling out of control
    >
    > Thread[] threads = new Thread[1000];
    > ThreadGroup tg = Thread.currentThread().getThreadGroup();
    >
    > while (tg.getParent() != null)
    > {
    > tg = tg.getParent();
    > }
    >
    > tg.enumerate( threads );
    > for (int i = 0; i < threads.length; i++)
    > {
    > if (threads != null)
    > {
    > out.print(i + ": ");
    > out.print( "pri=" + threads.getPriority() + " ");
    > out.print( "ac=" + threads.activeCount() + " ");
    > out.println(threads);
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be ? What the
    > possible issues could be ? We have looked at Memory and threads and
    > they don't seem to be the issue. Is here any documentation about the
    > cases that would through up this error ? Any help in this matter would
    > be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mit
    >

    > javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception
    > at

    org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
    > at

    org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
    > at

    ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
    > at

    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
    > at

    a:619)
    > ----- Root Cause -----
    > java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
    > at java.lang.Thread.start(Native Method)
    > at

    com.i411.search.controller.LowLevelSearch.performSocketSearch(LowLevelSearch
    ..java:428)
    > at

    com.i411.search.controller.LowLevelSearch.performNetworkSearch(LowLevelSearc
    h.java:348)
    > at

    com.i411.search.controller.LowLevelSearch.ExecuteSearch(LowLevelSearch.java:
    145)
    > at

    com.i411.search.controller.SearchController.catItemsSearch(SearchController.
    java:407)
    > at

    com.i411.search.controller.SearchController.getSearchResults(SearchControlle
    r.java:84)
    > at com.i411.dex.searchflow.SearchExecutor.run(SearchExecutor.java:45)
    > at

    com.i411.dex.searchflow.BusinessNameSearchExecutor.run(BusinessNameSearchExe
    cutor.java:82)
    > at

    com.i411.dex.searchflow.DexSearchFlow.performSearchFlow(DexSearchFlow.java:3
    35)
    > at

    com.i411.web.common.WebController.executeSearchWithSearchFlow(WebController.
    java:137)
    > at

    com.i411.web.common.WebController.executeSearchWithSearchFlow(WebController.
    java:182)
    > at

    com.i411.dex.xml.XMLSearchServlet.PerformQuerySearch(XMLSearchServlet.java:2
    60)
    > at com.i411.dex.xml.XMLSearchServlet.doGet(XMLSearchServlet.java:178)
    > at com.i411.dex.xml.XMLSearchServlet.doPost(XMLSearchServlet.java:366)
    > at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
    > at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
    > at

    org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at

    eNext(Unknown
    > Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
    > at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
    > at

    org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
    > at

    ction(Http11Protocol.java:392)
    > at

    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
    > at

    a:619)

    Arnaud Berger, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Mit Majithia

    Jayaram Guest

    Have encouneterd a similar problem on HP-UX 11. Check for values of
    the soft and hard limits (kernel settings) on the number of threads
    allowed per process on your system. These limits may have been set to
    a low value on your system.
    Reagrds,
    Jay

    Jayaram, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Mit Majithia wrote:

    > Hi,
    > We are running a web application which is a stateless system and
    > gets a lot of hits a day per server.
    > We are running the following configuration :
    > Red Hat Linux 7.3
    > Linux Kernel 2.4.20-19.7smp
    > Sun JVM JDK 1.4.1_02
    > The machine has 2GB of RAM and we have set the -XMx=1500M.

    The higher you set -mx, the less threads you can create (why does a
    stateless system need 1.5G anyway ...)

    I think a very naive formula is max threads = (2G - mx) / stacksize.
    You may try to work with a smaller heap size or smaller stack sizes.

    Matthias
    --
    Matthias Ernst
    CoreMedia - The Content Technology Experts

    "Toll takes its time."

    Matthias Ernst, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Mit Majithia

    Mit Majithia Guest

    Re: Linux java.lang.OutOfMemory Error: unable to create new native thread

    Update:
    We have been playing around with the settings.One of the
    settings that we changed was to reduce the memory allocated to the JVM
    (-Xmx1500m) to be lesser to -Xmx1000m. This seems to have alleviated
    the situation a little for the time being. It does not go down and
    does not give the error as before. Also we do have to restart the
    server on a daily basis to update the data.But with the new settings
    it makes it easily through the entire day without giving an error. Can
    anyone explain this ? Due to the growing traffic and data we will
    probably need the expanded memory sometime in the future. We feel that
    at the moment we have just pushed the problem to surface at some point
    in the future.

    Thanks,
    Mit

    Mit Majithia, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Mit Majithia

    Chris Bailey Guest

    "Mit Majithia" <> wrote in message
    > Update:
    > We have been playing around with the settings.One of the
    > settings that we changed was to reduce the memory allocated to the JVM
    > (-Xmx1500m) to be lesser to -Xmx1000m. This seems to have alleviated
    > the situation a little for the time being. It does not go down and
    > does not give the error as before. Also we do have to restart the
    > server on a daily basis to update the data.But with the new settings
    > it makes it easily through the entire day without giving an error. Can
    > anyone explain this ? Due to the growing traffic and data we will
    > probably need the expanded memory sometime in the future. We feel that
    > at the moment we have just pushed the problem to surface at some point
    > in the future.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mit

    The Java process has two memory areas: the Java heap, and the "native heap",
    which combine total the memory usage of the process.
    The Java heap is controlled via the -Xms and -Xmx setting, and the space
    available to the native heap is that which isn't used by the Java heap.

    The act of reducing the maximum Java heap size has made the "native heap"
    bigger, and this is the area that was memory constrained.
    We know this because the OutOfMemoryError was generated the message informed
    you that the JVM was unable to allocate a new native stack, this is
    allocated onto the native heap (there is also a Java thread object which is
    created and allocated onto the Java heap).

    It is entirely possible that the amount of "native heap" available to the
    JVM was insufficient to allocate the underlying resources to run the Java
    process under the load that was being driven through it. The native heap is
    now 500MB bigger, and unless there is a memory leak or the load is
    significantly increased, this change should prevent any OutOfMemoryErrors
    based on the native heap.

    Chris Bailey, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Mit Majithia

    Moazam Raja Guest

    Re: Linux java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new nativethread

    This could be a couple of different things.

    What are the full JVM options you are running with? Do you have -Xms
    specified also, and are you using any custom PermGen settings? You may
    want to try setting -Xms to the same value as -Xmx.

    Try using JVMSTAT on the process and check to see what is actually
    happening in the VM (as per young generation, old generation, etc.).
    JVMSTAT will help you visualize what is happening with memory inside the
    VM. This will help you figure out what you need to tune.

    To get jvmstat, http://developers.sun.com/dev/coolstuff/jvmstat/ .

    Otherwise, if you just want to manually look at the garbage collection
    information you can add flags such as '-verbose:gc' and
    'XX:+PrintGCDetails'. You can also output the GC information to a file
    using '-Xloggc:<file>'.

    -Moazam

    Moazam Raja, Feb 26, 2004