    jre1.5 installation will also do if jdk1.5 is not avialable.

    Thanks In advance
    Sanny

    sunny, Feb 5, 2006

  2. sunny

    Guest

    hi sunny,

    what questions are you prompted for ?
    if they are like locations and u'd like to give some std values,
    then provide the location in some file and give that file as input for
    your script.

    HTH

    amey

    sunny wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I am new to the world of JAVA. To begin with thanks to all
    > for having this Group.
    > I am writing a shell script which installs jdk1.5 on my linux
    > machine. I am unable to find a rpm or bin file which installs in silent
    > mode. i mean which does not ask any question while installing. Can you
    > please help me in giving the source or the loaction were i can find the
    > bin or the rpm which installs jdk1.5 in silent mode.
    >
    > jre1.5 installation will also do if jdk1.5 is not avialable.
    >
    > Thanks In advance
    > Sanny

    , Feb 5, 2006

  3. sunny

    sunny Guest

    Hi Amey,
    Thanks for the quick reply. The question is "Do you agree to
    the agreement? [yes/no] " and i need to type "Yes". And the agreement
    gets displayed on to STDOUT (which i can redirect that no probs) and i
    have to press "space bar" to go to next page (more cmd on linux).
    How do i get rid of this 2 issues so that i can install java 1.5 ?

    Thanks
    Sanny

    sunny, Feb 5, 2006
  4. sunny schrub am Sonntag, 5. Februar 2006 09:12
    folgendes:

    > Hi Amey,
    > Thanks for the quick reply. The question
    > is "Do you agree to
    > the agreement? [yes/no] " and i need to type "Yes".
    > And the agreement gets displayed on to STDOUT (which
    > i can redirect that no probs) and i have to press
    > "space bar" to go to next page (more cmd on linux).
    > How do i get rid of this 2 issues so that i can
    > install java 1.5 ?

    The question is there for a reason. As a "java
    installation" consists only of a single directory you
    can always "install" java on your own machine, simply
    zip this directory together and then unzip it silently
    on another machine.
    But this may be illegal in terms of the Sun licence or
    otherwise, so please check this with sun before you
    actually attempt it.

    --
    greetz Karlheinz Klingbeil (lunqual)
    http://www.lunqual.de oder http:www.lunqual.net

    karlheinz klingbeil, Feb 5, 2006
  5. sunny

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:01:28 +0100, karlheinz klingbeil
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >The question is there for a reason. As a "java
    >installation" consists only of a single directory you
    >can always "install" java on your own machine, simply
    >zip this directory together and then unzip it silently
    >on another machine.

    If you do that, there are still dozens of registry entries not set up
    and also the Java control panel.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Feb 5, 2006
  6. sunny

    James Westby Guest

    sunny wrote:
    > Hi Amey,
    > Thanks for the quick reply. The question is "Do you agree to
    > the agreement? [yes/no] " and i need to type "Yes". And the agreement
    > gets displayed on to STDOUT (which i can redirect that no probs) and i
    > have to press "space bar" to go to next page (more cmd on linux).
    > How do i get rid of this 2 issues so that i can install java 1.5 ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sanny

    Is this what you're after?

    http://expect.nist.gov/

    James

    James Westby, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Roedy Green schrub am Sonntag, 5. Februar 2006 13:38
    folgendes:

    > If you do that, there are still dozens of registry
    > entries not set up and also the Java control panel.

    <grin>I wrote about java installation on a decent OS,
    not Windows</grin>

    karlheinz klingbeil, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Roedy Green schrub am Sonntag, 5. Februar 2006 13:38
    folgendes:

    > If you do that, there are still dozens of registry
    > entries not set up and also the Java control panel.

    And by the way, even the OP asked about installation on
    Linux, i'd like to know where there is a registry in
    Linux ? ;))

    karlheinz klingbeil, Feb 5, 2006
  9. sunny

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:21:54 +0100, karlheinz klingbeil
    someone who said :

    >And by the way, even the OP asked about installation on
    >Linux, i'd like to know where there is a registry in
    >Linux ? ;))

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html

    The registry was tool designed to:

    1. make it very difficult to move a application to another machine.
    This was to discourage piracy and encourage people rebuying software
    they already owned.

    2. make the system as slow and unreliable as possible to encourage
    purchasing upgrades with new copies of the OS.

    Given that the Linux folk had no financial stake in those two goals,
    they did not use a registry.

    Installation is thus a robust process under Linux.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Feb 6, 2006