Linux Silent installation 1.5?

sunny

Hi All,
I am new to the world of JAVA. To begin with thanks to all
for having this Group.
I am writing a shell script which installs jdk1.5 on my linux
machine. I am unable to find a rpm or bin file which installs in silent
mode. i mean which does not ask any question while installing. Can you
please help me in giving the source or the loaction were i can find the
bin or the rpm which installs jdk1.5 in silent mode.

jre1.5 installation will also do if jdk1.5 is not avialable.

Thanks In advance
Sanny

ameyas7

hi sunny,

what questions are you prompted for ?
if they are like locations and u'd like to give some std values,
then provide the location in some file and give that file as input for
your script.

HTH

amey

sunny

Hi Amey,
Thanks for the quick reply. The question is "Do you agree to
the agreement? [yes/no] " and i need to type "Yes". And the agreement
gets displayed on to STDOUT (which i can redirect that no probs) and i
have to press "space bar" to go to next page (more cmd on linux).
How do i get rid of this 2 issues so that i can install java 1.5 ?

Thanks
Sanny

karlheinz klingbeil

sunny schrub am Sonntag, 5. Februar 2006 09:12
folgendes:
Hi Amey,
Thanks for the quick reply. The question
is "Do you agree to
the agreement? [yes/no] " and i need to type "Yes".
And the agreement gets displayed on to STDOUT (which
i can redirect that no probs) and i have to press
"space bar" to go to next page (more cmd on linux).
How do i get rid of this 2 issues so that i can
install java 1.5 ?

The question is there for a reason. As a "java
installation" consists only of a single directory you
can always "install" java on your own machine, simply
zip this directory together and then unzip it silently
on another machine.
But this may be illegal in terms of the Sun licence or
otherwise, so please check this with sun before you
actually attempt it.

Roedy Green

The question is there for a reason. As a "java
installation" consists only of a single directory you
can always "install" java on your own machine, simply
zip this directory together and then unzip it silently
on another machine.

If you do that, there are still dozens of registry entries not set up
and also the Java control panel.

James Westby

sunny said:
Hi Amey,
Thanks for the quick reply. The question is "Do you agree to
the agreement? [yes/no] " and i need to type "Yes". And the agreement
gets displayed on to STDOUT (which i can redirect that no probs) and i
have to press "space bar" to go to next page (more cmd on linux).
How do i get rid of this 2 issues so that i can install java 1.5 ?

Thanks
Sanny

Is this what you're after?

http://expect.nist.gov/

James

karlheinz klingbeil

Roedy Green schrub am Sonntag, 5. Februar 2006 13:38
folgendes:
If you do that, there are still dozens of registry
entries not set up and also the Java control panel.

<grin>I wrote about java installation on a decent OS,
not Windows</grin>

karlheinz klingbeil

Roedy Green schrub am Sonntag, 5. Februar 2006 13:38
folgendes:
If you do that, there are still dozens of registry
entries not set up and also the Java control panel.

And by the way, even the OP asked about installation on
Linux, i'd like to know where there is a registry in
Linux ? ;))

Roedy Green

And by the way, even the OP asked about installation on
Linux, i'd like to know where there is a registry in
Linux ? ;))

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html

The registry was tool designed to:

1. make it very difficult to move a application to another machine.
This was to discourage piracy and encourage people rebuying software
they already owned.

2. make the system as slow and unreliable as possible to encourage
purchasing upgrades with new copies of the OS.

Given that the Linux folk had no financial stake in those two goals,
they did not use a registry.

Installation is thus a robust process under Linux.