[Linux] What toolkit for a good grid/spreadsheet widget?

Vincent Delporte

Hello

I'd like to use Python under Linux to write a business application,
and I'll need a good grid/spreadsheet editable widget, maybe not on
par with eg. ComponentOne's excellent VSFlexGrid
(http://www.componentone.com/newimages/flexgrid_02_lg.gif), but
somewhat professional-grade.

Any recommendation? GTK doesn't seem to have one that is good enough
(GTKSheet http://gtkextra.sourceforge.net/ looks like a basic table),
so I was wondering about QT/PyQt and wxWidgets/wxPython. Any
recommendation?

Thank you
VD.

Philippe Martin

Vincent said:
Hello

I'd like to use Python under Linux to write a business application,
and I'll need a good grid/spreadsheet editable widget, maybe not on
par with eg. ComponentOne's excellent VSFlexGrid
(http://www.componentone.com/newimages/flexgrid_02_lg.gif), but
somewhat professional-grade.

Any recommendation? GTK doesn't seem to have one that is good enough
(GTKSheet http://gtkextra.sourceforge.net/ looks like a basic table),
so I was wondering about QT/PyQt and wxWidgets/wxPython. Any
recommendation?

Thank you
VD.

http://www.wxpython.org/

Search for "Grid" here: http://www.wxpython.org/onlinedocs.php

Regards,

Philippe

Phil Thompson

Hello

I'd like to use Python under Linux to write a business application,
and I'll need a good grid/spreadsheet editable widget, maybe not on
par with eg. ComponentOne's excellent VSFlexGrid
(http://www.componentone.com/newimages/flexgrid_02_lg.gif), but
somewhat professional-grade.

Any recommendation? GTK doesn't seem to have one that is good enough
(GTKSheet http://gtkextra.sourceforge.net/ looks like a basic table),
so I was wondering about QT/PyQt and wxWidgets/wxPython. Any
recommendation?

PyQt4 has QTableWidget...

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/html/qtablewidget.html

Phil

Vincent Delporte

PyQt4 has QTableWidget...

Thx for the two pointers. Are those widgets more than just tables, ie.
can I edit the contents, including displaying a combo box, can items
be grouped or hierarchized, or are they just basic, read-only tables
to display results?

I need this kind of widget to build a 2+ column interface to let users
type entries into the application as an alternative to MS Access-style
complicated entry masks.

jean-michel bain-cornu

Hi,
Thx for the two pointers. Are those widgets more than just tables, ie.
can I edit the contents, including displaying a combo box, can items
be grouped or hierarchized, or are they just basic, read-only tables
to display results?

I need this kind of widget to build a 2+ column interface to let users
type entries into the application as an alternative to MS Access-style
complicated entry masks.

Wx have got an excellent one. I was succesful to use it with editable
cells and to include a choice in a cell. However, it was pretty hard to
reach that, ie to extract a working sample from the demo. Once done
that, no more problems with it.
What I suggest you is to have a look on the demo, in the chapter "Core
Windows/Controls -> Grid -> wx.Grid showing Editors and Renderers".
Rgds,
jm

Phil Thompson

Thx for the two pointers. Are those widgets more than just tables, ie.
can I edit the contents, including displaying a combo box, can items
be grouped or hierarchized, or are they just basic, read-only tables
to display results?

I need this kind of widget to build a 2+ column interface to let users
type entries into the application as an alternative to MS Access-style
complicated entry masks.

Yes you can edit cells. QTableWidget implements it's own data model.
QTableView does the same but you supply the model - either a standard one or
one you have written. A standard one is QSqlDataModel so creating a table
that allows you to maintain the contents of an SQL table is about a dozen
lines of Python.

Phil

Dave Cook

Thx for the two pointers. Are those widgets more than just tables, ie.
can I edit the contents, including displaying a combo box, can items
be grouped or hierarchized, or are they just basic, read-only tables
to display results?

You can display combo boxes in cells in pygtk, as well as edit cells.

But both pyqt and wxpython also offer that. Try running the demos for each.

Dave Cook

Philippe Martin

jean-michel bain-cornu said:
Hi,

Wx have got an excellent one. I was succesful to use it with editable
cells and to include a choice in a cell. However, it was pretty hard to
reach that, ie to extract a working sample from the demo. Once done
that, no more problems with it.
What I suggest you is to have a look on the demo, in the chapter "Core
Windows/Controls -> Grid -> wx.Grid showing Editors and Renderers".
Rgds,
jm

Yes, I can also select which cell can be edited on the cell level.