Liquid Layouts not always appropriate ?

Bergamot

Travis said:
I think they will be around for ever because some people like them.

Who might that be, the person who owns the site or those visiting it?

From the user standpoint, it's not always so simple as like/dislike.
There are an awful lot of people out there that have learned to tolerate
sites that don't adapt to their particular browsing situation.

I hear complaints over and over from disgruntled users about microfonts
and such on many of the sites they visit. They don't like it, but think
there isn't anything they can do about it, so settle for a less than
perfect experience. YMMV, of course.

BTW, I sort of agree that one design philosophy does not fit all, but as
a general rule, fluid is way better than fixed.

Travis Newbury

Who might that be, the person who owns the site or those visiting it?
Visitors.

From the user standpoint, it's not always so simple as like/dislike.
There are an awful lot of people out there that have learned to tolerate
sites that don't adapt to their particular browsing situation.

If what you do is more profitable than what you did, then what you are
doing is a good thing.

I hear complaints over and over from disgruntled users about microfonts
and such on many of the sites they visit. They don't like it, but think
there isn't anything they can do about it, so settle for a less than
perfect experience. YMMV, of course.
BTW, I sort of agree that one design philosophy does not fit all, but as
a general rule, fluid is way better than fixed.

And I do not disagree with that. I disagree with someone saying it is
the ONLY way to great a good website.