    and let me know what is good and what stinks.

    Thanks very much,

    Albert Kennis
    akennis, Mar 22, 2007

  2. akennis

    Rob Guest

    akennis schreef:
    > Hello Group,
    >
    > I'm trying to adapt from a long time career as a driver developer
    > towards one that is more web / html centric. Last week I started
    > studying DIV & CSS based layout mechanisms, and it took quite a while
    > to understand (even a little).
    >
    > Today I blogged about my experience with these technologies thus far,
    > and would like to confirm if my conculsions are reasonable or not.
    >
    > Please take a look at:
    >
    > http://paradigmquest.blogspot.com/2007/03/liquid-css.html
    >
    > and let me know what is good and what stinks.
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    >
    > Albert Kennis

    There are people around here who know far more about CSS than I do,
    but I'm learning.

    And one of the things that struck me most, is that it's not about DIVs
    and CSS, but about HTML and CSS.

    What I mean is:
    you don't always need divs to style your pages the way you want to.
    A lot of HTML-elements can be used as 'hooks' to hang a css-rule on (I'm
    quoting books and articles here), without encasing them in a div.

    If you start with proper structure and use the right html-tags
    you can do with less divs.

    By the way: less divs does not mean no divs.

    Rob
    Rob, Mar 22, 2007

  3. akennis

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 22 Mar, 12:48, "akennis" <> wrote:

    > and let me know what is good and what stinks.

    You've written chapter #2.

    Now go back and write chapter #1, which is about how to _first_ mark
    your HTML up to reflect the document semantics and to be presentation
    free.

    If you take such a document and then worry about chapter #2 (How To
    Present It), then you should only rarely need to add a <div>. There
    ought to be plenty of non-<div> HTML elements in there already,
    describing its content structure.

    Inventing a bogus paradigm of "<div>-based design" and comparing it to
    Pontificating a piece of bloggage about it is even worse.

    And you used the word "paradigm".
    On the web.
    In a hostname no less.
    That's a clueironing offence around these parts.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 22, 2007
  4. akennis

    mbstevens Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:35:52 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

    > And you used the word "paradigm".
    > On the web.
    > In a hostname no less.
    > That's a clueironing offence around these parts.

    <guffaw!>
    Yup, thay's somthin' shifty 'bout 'em "paradigms," Pardner.
    Kuhn he find somethin' else to talk about?
    mbstevens, Mar 22, 2007
  5. akennis

    mbstevens Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:48:47 -0700, akennis wrote:

    > Hello Group,
    >
    > I'm trying to adapt from a long time career as a driver developer
    > towards one that is more web / html centric. Last week I started
    > studying DIV & CSS based layout mechanisms, and it took quite a while
    > to understand (even a little).
    >
    > Today I blogged about my experience with these technologies thus far,
    > and would like to confirm if my conculsions are reasonable or not.
    >
    > Please take a look at:
    >
    > http://paradigmquest.blogspot.com/2007/03/liquid-css.html
    >
    > and let me know what is good and what stinks.

    When I narrow the browser window, the central div moves, but the text does
    not reflow. The page becomes hard to use at a fairly narrow window
    width. Right now you have a fixed width div floating around inside the
    body of your top level page. I suggest you restart by modifying a good
    template. Here are a few sites:

    http://www.realworldstyle.com/
    http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
    http://www.glish.com/css/
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com/
    mbstevens, Mar 22, 2007
  6. akennis

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > <guffaw!>
    > Yup, thay's somthin' shifty 'bout 'em "paradigms," Pardner.
    > Kuhn he find somethin' else to talk about?

    <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2007