List box transfer

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shabam, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Shabam

    Shabam Guest

    I'm looking for a way to code two list boxes with a button in between them.
    When I select an item from the left list and click the ">" I want that item
    to move to the list box to the right (alphabetically), and get deleted off
    the list on the left. Also if I select an item on the right and click the
    "<" button, I want that item to disappear off the list on the right and
    appear on the left (alphabetically).

    I'm doing this so that I can take the values on the right list and send out
    mail to those people.

    Is there done code for this or a web tutorial somewhere? Thanks in advance.

    Shabam, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Shabam

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:D>
    "Shabam" <> said:

    > I'm looking for a way to code two list boxes with a button in between them.
    > When I select an item from the left list and click the ">" I want that item
    > to move to the list box to the right (alphabetically), and get deleted off
    > the list on the left. Also if I select an item on the right and click the
    > "<" button, I want that item to disappear off the list on the right and
    > appear on the left (alphabetically).

    possible but too fragile and critical to implement client side and not
    really practical for server side.

    > I'm doing this so that I can take the values on the right list and send out
    > mail to those people.

    use a <select> that allows multiple selections. example:

    <select size="5" name="emailto" multiple>
    <option value="whatever1">bob</option>
    <option value="whatever2">john</option>
    <option value="whatever3">emma</option>
    <option value="whatever4">sally</option>
    <option value="whatever5">god</option>
    </select>

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Shabam

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:c4onn6$2ka629$-berlin.de>
    brucie <> said:

    > use a <select> that allows multiple selections.

    probably not the best idea. assumes people know how to use their
    browsers. checkboxes would probably be the most foolproof

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Shabam

    mscir Guest

    Shabam wrote:

    > I'm looking for a way to code two list boxes with a button in between them.
    > When I select an item from the left list and click the ">" I want that item
    > to move to the list box to the right (alphabetically), and get deleted off
    > the list on the left. Also if I select an item on the right and click the
    > "<" button, I want that item to disappear off the list on the right and
    > appear on the left (alphabetically).
    >
    > I'm doing this so that I can take the values on the right list and send out
    > mail to those people.
    >
    > Is there done code for this or a web tutorial somewhere? Thanks in advance.

    Here's a good example:

    http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/optiontransfer/index.html

    mscir, Apr 4, 2004