List contents of a directory

Discussion in 'HTML' started by GMach3, May 18, 2006.

  1. GMach3

    GMach3 Guest

    Pardon me if this has been asked before or if this is too basic. I'm am the
    webmaster for my church's website which is done in FP (please refrain from
    tossing rotten eggs at me.)

    The powers that be would like to post the church newsletter on the site,
    which in itself is not hard. I've created a directory for the newsletter
    (ex. www.mysite.com/newsletter). With my previous host, I could simply go
    to the subdirectory and see the contents, however my current host pops up a
    huge 403:Forbidden message which says that the attempt to access the
    directory should not be repeated.

    I put an index.htm page in that folder, and it appears fine. What I'd like
    to do is have it display the contents of the directory dynamically and have
    links to each newsletter. I know how to do it manually, but would rather it
    be automatic so the secretary can upload the file and I won't have to
    manually update the page.

    Any help is appreciated.
    ~G~
    GMach3, May 18, 2006

  2. GMach3

    dorayme Guest

    In article <gyQag.28689$>,
    "GMach3" <> wrote:

    > Pardon me if this has been asked before or if this is too basic. I'm am the
    > webmaster for my church's website which is done in FP (please refrain from
    > tossing rotten eggs at me.)
    >
    > The powers that be would like to post the church newsletter on the site,
    > which in itself is not hard. I've created a directory for the newsletter
    > (ex. www.mysite.com/newsletter). With my previous host, I could simply go
    > to the subdirectory and see the contents, however my current host pops up a
    > huge 403:Forbidden message which says that the attempt to access the
    > directory should not be repeated.
    >
    > I put an index.htm page in that folder, and it appears fine. What I'd like
    > to do is have it display the contents of the directory dynamically and have
    > links to each newsletter. I know how to do it manually, but would rather it
    > be automatic so the secretary can upload the file and I won't have to
    > manually update the page.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    > ~G~

    The church (even God Himself maybe) has expressly forbidden this.
    You or the church can change this via a .htaccess doc on the
    server. read about it at:

    http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 18, 2006

  3. GMach3

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <gyQag.28689$>,
    > "GMach3" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The powers that be would like to post the church newsletter on the
    >> site, which in itself is not hard. I've created a directory for the
    >> newsletter (ex. www.mysite.com/newsletter). With my previous host,
    >> I could simply go to the subdirectory and see the contents, however
    >> my current host pops up a huge 403:Forbidden message which says that
    >> the attempt to access the directory should not be repeated.

    > The church (even God Himself maybe) has expressly forbidden this.
    > You or the church can change this via a .htaccess doc on the
    > server. read about it at:
    >
    > http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess

    But only if your church is using Apache as the server
    Nik Coughlin, May 18, 2006
  4. GMach3

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "GMach3" <>
    vouchsafed:

    > Pardon me if this has been asked before or if this is too basic. I'm
    > am the webmaster for my church's website which is done in FP (please
    > refrain from tossing rotten eggs at me.)
    >
    > The powers that be would like to post the church newsletter on the
    > site, which in itself is not hard. I've created a directory for the
    > newsletter (ex. www.mysite.com/newsletter). With my previous host, I
    > could simply go to the subdirectory and see the contents, however my
    > current host pops up a huge 403:Forbidden message which says that the
    > attempt to access the directory should not be repeated.
    >
    > I put an index.htm page in that folder, and it appears fine. What I'd
    > like to do is have it display the contents of the directory
    > dynamically and have links to each newsletter. I know how to do it
    > manually, but would rather it be automatic so the secretary can upload
    > the file and I won't have to manually update the page.

    Some hosts configure their servers not to allow anonymous directory access.
    Personally, I think it's a good idea.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.