List Indentation

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jay, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I used CSS to take off the indentation of the unordered list tag for a side
    menu which works in IE and Opera and that's about it.
    http://www.pacer.org/ztatra/

    Is there a way to move this list to the left in Netscape and Mozilla also?

    --
    "Some see the glass as half-empty;
    some see the glass as half-full.
    I see the glass as too big." - George Carlin

    - J

    Jay, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Jay

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:ySghc.2064$>
    "Jay" <> said:

    > I used CSS to take off the indentation of the unordered list tag for a side
    > menu which works in IE and Opera and that's about it.
    > http://www.pacer.org/ztatra/

    add 'padding:0;' to '#linkList ul'

    you've also invoked a bug in IE with em font sizes making the text
    unreadable.
    http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/screencap0384.png [7k]

    change the font sizes to % or add 'font-size:100%;' to the body css
    properties.

    you also have the main text 10% smaller than my preferred size (.9em).
    if i wanted it 10% smaller and was conformable reading text 10% smaller
    i would make it 10% smaller.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Jay

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:46:06 GMT, "Jay" <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > Is there a way to move this list to the left in Netscape and Mozilla also?

    Set the padding-left to zero as well as the margin.

    Often it is best to set both the margin and padding to 0 for all
    elements, then add them in where necessary, as different browsers have
    different defaults.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Jay

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <1ot66tg0nd8zp$.wueo2fd3vjyc$>,
    says...
    > Often it is best to set both the margin and padding to 0 for all
    > elements, then add them in where necessary, as different browsers have
    > different defaults.

    Good tip

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post: <news:ySghc.2064$>
    > "Jay" <> said:
    >
    > > I used CSS to take off the indentation of the unordered list tag for a

    side
    > > menu which works in IE and Opera and that's about it.
    > > http://www.pacer.org/ztatra/

    > add 'padding:0;' to '#linkList ul'

    That did it (a little oversight on my part) :)

    > you've also invoked a bug in IE with em font sizes making the text
    > unreadable.
    > http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/screencap0384.png [7k]

    I couldn't get the screen shot to come up...

    > change the font sizes to % or add 'font-size:100%;' to the body css
    > properties.

    Will do.

    > you also have the main text 10% smaller than my preferred size (.9em).
    > if i wanted it 10% smaller and was conformable reading text 10% smaller
    > i would make it 10% smaller.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Jay, Apr 21, 2004
  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:46:06 GMT, "Jay" <> declared in
    > alt.html:
    >
    > > Is there a way to move this list to the left in Netscape and Mozilla

    also?

    > Set the padding-left to zero as well as the margin.
    >
    > Often it is best to set both the margin and padding to 0 for all
    > elements, then add them in where necessary, as different browsers have
    > different defaults.

    Mark,

    Thanks for the tip! It worked just as I had hoped!

    Jay, Apr 21, 2004