List Java keywords from within Java?

Andrew Thompson

How can I list Java keywords from within Java?

You know.. if, else, void, class..

I had a look over System and Class docs but
could see nothing helpful. I want to highlight
the keywords in source, the lazy way.

Harald Hein

Andrew Thompson said:
How can I list Java keywords from within Java?

You know.. if, else, void, class..

You have to enumarate them yourself. AFAIK there is nothing in the
public API which has a list of the keywords. Of course, the compiler
must have a list, but that is compiler internal.

You can get an official list out of the JLS.

<quote>
3.9 Keywords
The following character sequences, formed from ASCII letters, are
reserved for use as keywords and cannot be used as identifiers (§3.8):

Keyword: one of
abstract default if private this
boolean do implements protected throw
break double import public throws
byte else instanceof return transient
case extends int short try
catch final interface static void
char finally long strictfp volatile
class float native super while
const for new switch
continue goto package synchronized

The keywords const and goto are reserved, even though they are not
currently used. This may allow a Java compiler to produce better error
messages if these C++ keywords incorrectly appear in programs.

While true and false might appear to be keywords, they are technically
Boolean literals (§3.10.3). Similarly, while null might appear to be a
keyword, it is technically the null literal (§3.10.7).
</quote>