List menu too long. Any way to shorten it?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Crispy, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Crispy

    Crispy Guest

    I have a drop-down list menu inside a form. Because it contains long names
    it displays so long that it throughs the rest of the page out of kilter.

    Is there a way to limit its length (without actually eliminating the long
    names it represents)? I tried putting this maxlength="50" attribute inside
    its tag but it didn't affect it.

    thanks. crispy
    Crispy, Jul 10, 2003

  2. David Dorward, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Crispy

    Dan Brussee Guest

    In article <3f0dedcd$0$23124$>,
    says...
    > Dan Brussee wrote:
    > >
    > > You can set the width of the dropdown list using style="width: 120px;"
    > > or some such value.

    > And then the user can't read what is in the list anyway. The box is that
    > wide for a reason. :)

    As always, there are always options (no pun intended). If you need to
    see the full value in the list box, you may want to use a scrolling DIV
    with a table in it. It's worked for me many times, but it's much more
    involved than a simple list box that may need to have a few pixels
    shaved off so it always fits even if there are a few too many characters
    to fit the area alloted for.

    That being said, I agree. If you need to see all the characters in the
    list box and it doesnt fit in the area alloted, maybe you should think
    of some other way of displaying the data.

    Also, you might consider using a different font for select option items.
    even .9em might give you enough room to display your data.

    Dan

    --

    Remove NOT from email address to reply. AntiSpam in action.
    Dan Brussee, Jul 11, 2003
  4. what about the page size gets to big for a 56k modem loading ???

    sinclar sodersas, Jul 12, 2003