List menu too long. Any way to shorten it?

Crispy

I have a drop-down list menu inside a form. Because it contains long names
it displays so long that it throughs the rest of the page out of kilter.

Is there a way to limit its length (without actually eliminating the long
names it represents)? I tried putting this maxlength="50" attribute inside
its tag but it didn't affect it.

thanks. crispy

David Dorward

Crispy said:
I have a drop-down list menu inside a form. Because it contains long names
it displays so long that it throughs the rest of the page out of kilter.

Limitation of the technology. Consider switching to radio buttons instead.

Dan Brussee

And then the user can't read what is in the list anyway. The box is that
wide for a reason. :)

As always, there are always options (no pun intended). If you need to
see the full value in the list box, you may want to use a scrolling DIV
with a table in it. It's worked for me many times, but it's much more
involved than a simple list box that may need to have a few pixels
shaved off so it always fits even if there are a few too many characters
to fit the area alloted for.

That being said, I agree. If you need to see all the characters in the
list box and it doesnt fit in the area alloted, maybe you should think
of some other way of displaying the data.

Also, you might consider using a different font for select option items.
even .9em might give you enough room to display your data.

Dan