List of Common Escape Entities??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. Andrew wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
    > escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc. I
    > am really after a reference list to hang on my wall of those that I
    > would commonly use for an XHTML strict page.
    >
    > Can anyone direct me to such a list?

    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

    The entities are the same for XHTML as for HTML.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Dec 27, 2006

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:

    > Andrew wrote:

    > > I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
    > > escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc.

    > > Can anyone direct me to such a list?

    There's only one place for the authoritative list, the W3C. Anything
    else is merely a re-statement of this.

    HTML
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html

    XHTML
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-A2

    I'd also post the regular reminder that you shouldn't use XHTML on the
    web and that you mustn't use XHTML on the web unless you really
    understand it.

    > http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

    Don't trust w3schools to be correct on anything particularly detailed.

    > The entities are the same for XHTML as for HTML.

    They're not, most obviously because of ' as it just didn't exist
    in HTML. Yes, this means that you should use ' instead of '
    when authoring Appendix C XHTML for the web.

    Andrew, Dec 28, 2006
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Andrew Guest

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:32:05 -0800, Andrew
    <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    > I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
    >escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc. I
    >am really after a reference list to hang on my wall of those that I
    >would commonly use for an XHTML strict page.
    >
    > Can anyone direct me to such a list?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andrew

    Hmmmm.......

    On further reading it looks like that would actually be a rather
    short list to maximise wider support?

    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 28, 2006
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Jeff Bowman Guest

    "Andrew" <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
    > escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc. I
    > am really after a reference list to hang on my wall of those that I
    > would commonly use for an XHTML strict page.
    >
    > Can anyone direct me to such a list?

    Hi Andrew, try here:

    http://blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/text.htm

    --
    We're losing America. To see how you can help
    get her back, visit www.FreedomToFascism.com.

    Jeff Bowman, Dec 28, 2006