list of countries File v. Array v. HTML list

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by slinky, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I want to get an opinion on some .aspx logic. Say for isntance you
    have a user data submission form that amongst other things is
    gathering STATE and COUNTRY information of which appear in a
    dropdownlist.

    If one is already using both an .aspx page and is using a SQLserver
    database, why not just place these two lists into a table instead of
    an array (common in simple HTML pages using CGI) for the STATES and an
    awefully-long-often-changing COUNTRY list that is still prevalent in
    HTML pages.

    Speaking of which, isn't it true that a list of countries in HTML has
    to be laboriously edited when sitching to XHTML?

    What are the advantages and disadvantages anybody wants to chime in
    on. I set up one today using SQL tables and it works fine, especailly
    since tomorrow my PM wants another field set up for national capitals!
    Forunately all I have to do is add a field and parse/query a flat file
    I found on the web in the format of ... Finland,Helsinki

    Anyone?

    slinky, Jun 18, 2007

  2. I guess the only consideration is that its pretty much a fixed list of
    data, countires (and cities) don't appear that often - so whatever appraoch
    you decide to sue for storing the data dont keep loading the data from the
    DB or File. Either cache it or stick it into the app object and load it
    once into an array you can use over and over.

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog