list of Ruby capable text editors?

Martin Pirker

Hi...

short question: is there somewhere a comprehensive list of Ruby
syntax-highlightning capable text editors (on Linux)?

I don't care how "mainstream"[1] they are, it just has to be "good
enough", small, simple, text terminal oriented... and with Ruby
support :)

Martin

[1] as long as it simply does e.g "alt-w" for file write or "alt-d"
for delete line and "alt-m" for marking I'm fine - I'm somehow resistant
to step up (to e.g. vim) and do more complex keycombos/modes

Ben Giddings

Martin said:
short question: is there somewhere a comprehensive list of Ruby
syntax-highlightning capable text editors (on Linux)?

I don't care how "mainstream"[1] they are, it just has to be "good
enough", small, simple, text terminal oriented... and with Ruby
support :)

C'mon... try Emacs/XEmacs... You know you want to...

By default it doesn't have the bindings you want, but it is easy to set:

Start it up, hit alt-x, type "global-set-key", hit enter, it will prompt
you for the key sequence, simply type the key-combo you want. For file
write the command you want is "write-file", for delete line it is
kill-line. As for marking... I don't know exactly what you mean.

Now ruby syntax highlighting may not be installed by default, though I
think it was for me on RedHat 9 (I installed every Ruby package I could).

If you aren't completely tied to alt-w and alt-d, however, I'd recommend
you keep the default emacs key bindings.
Ctrl-K = kill-line
Ctrl-W = write-file
Alt-W = copy-region
Alt-D = kill-word

P.S. Who, besides me, thinks Emacs/XEmacs is a fine and dandy IDE for
doing Ruby development? I looked at FreeRIDE a while ago and from what
I could tell it didn't offer nearly what the Emacsen did. Are there
other IDE features it doesn't offer?

Ben

Tim Hunter

Hi...

short question: is there somewhere a comprehensive list of Ruby
syntax-highlightning capable text editors (on Linux)?

Kate has very good Ruby syntax highlighting and is a pretty good
all-around editor.

Daniel Carrera

From memmory: Vim, Emacs, Anjuta (www.anjuta.org), and Kate.

--
Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD. PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
.-"~~~"-. On the menu of a Swiss restaurant:

Dan Doel

You might look at jEdit as well (www.jedit.org).

The only thing I don't like is that do/end/etc. aren't recognized for
auto-indenting (I was poking
around trying to change this, but it's pretty much impossible without
rewriting core code).

It's pretty good over all, though.

- Dan

Albert Wagner

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 05:53:51 +0900
Martin Pirker said:
text terminal oriented... and with Ruby

Yes, I noted the text terminal qualification. But I still like Scite
and Nedit.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Saluton!

* Ben Giddings; 2003-08-15, 21:38 UTC:
I don't care how "mainstream"[1] they are, it just has to be "good
enough", small, simple, text terminal oriented...
^^^^^ ^^^^^^
C'mon... try Emacs/XEmacs... You know you want to...
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seemingly only the OS recommendation came through while the
recommendation of the editor was lost. Restoration from morphogenetic
field resulted in:

After booting /boot/vmemaz open an eshell and run nano.

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Andreas Schwarz

Ben said:
Martin said:
short question: is there somewhere a comprehensive list of Ruby
syntax-highlightning capable text editors (on Linux)?

I don't care how "mainstream"[1] they are, it just has to be "good
enough", small, simple, text terminal oriented... and with Ruby
support :)

C'mon... try Emacs/XEmacs... You know you want to...

I'm using XEmacs for Ruby editing, but it seems that I can't get the
syntax highlighting to work. I have installed ruby-mode, but only
comments and strings are colored. Shouldn't there be different colors
for variables, methods, classes etc?

Andreas

Brian Candler

info works even without a browser. Use zless (vi-like keystrokes).

Sure, it's marked-up text and can be read directly. (You can read manpage
nroff source as well if you like, but I choose not to :)
I don't use Emacs, but... doesn't it have "info" Emacs-like keytrokes? It
at least quits on C-x C-c and has Emacs-like cursor motion. That's why I
don't use "info" - it would be a chicken-egg-problem.

Yes, very true. On my machine, if you type "info" then hit backspace (which
being ctrl-h it interprets as "help" of course) you get a 429-line long
listing of keystrokes - just for an info browser! But there's lot of C-this
and M-that and ESC-ESC-other which does look like it's based on emacs.
But there's a solution: pinfo.

I hadn't seen that (just installed it now - it's pretty good). If I could
reformat info docs as HTML though, then I could browse them with lynx or any
other browser of my choice. Now that *would* be nice.

Cheers,

Brian.