Listboxes don't always show

Terry D

I'm having an issue with an ASP.NET page (VS.NET 2003, VB.NET, Oracle
back end). The page uses the standard VS.NET grid to display the
records from a particular table. The user can edit certain fields in
the grid. There are 10 columns in the grid, 5 static fields (labels),
4 listboxes, and 1 edit box. 2 of the listboxes hold about 12 items
each and the other 2 listboxes only contain 2 items.

The problem is that on some lower end machines, the listboxes don't
always display. If the grid has about 20 rows, everything is fine.
If the grid has about 40 rows, the listboxes aren't there. The static
fields and the edit box always show but the listboxes don't.

On two machines with XP, IE 6, 512mb ram, I have had as many as 160
rows in the grid without any problems. On two machines with 98, IE 6,
128mb ram, the listboxes don't show up at somewhere between 20 and 40
rows.

It appears to me that it is a resource issue but machine running 98
with 128mb of ram should be able to handle one web page. In looking
around the newsgroups I haven't found anyone describing a problem
exactly like what I'm seeing but I have noticed there are some issues
with ViewState and Listboxes. Could this be a ViewState issue? I'm
going to try turning off the viewstate and handling everything
manually for this page when I get a chance but I thought I would post
this message to see if anyone has had similar experiences.

Thanks
Terry