listing footnotes

Discussion in 'XML' started by David Schwartz, May 30, 2007.

  1. I've got a set of footnotes at the root which are being referenced
    elsewhere in the tree via footnot-accoc elements. Footnote-assoc may
    occur mutliple places/levels within the tree. I want to number the
    footnote reference based on the footnote-assocs within each bucket.
    FYI, I use <apply-templates/> extensively in my XSL stylesheets and,
    if possible, I'd like to avoid passing a node set everytime.

    <root>
    <footnotes>
    <footnote id="foot-001">
    foo
    </footnote>
    </footnotes>
    <bucket>
    <description>
    <para>Blah, blah<footnote-assoc>foot-001</footnote-assoc></para>
    <bullet-group>
    <bullet>
    <bullet-para>hah<footnote-assoc>foot-001</footnote-assoc>,
    hah, hah, hah</bullet-para>
    </bullet>
    </bullet-group>
    </description>
    </bucket>
    </root>

    TIA,
    David
    David Schwartz, May 30, 2007

  2. It'd be a lot easier if you were willing to number the footnotes, and
    accept that they may be referenced out of numeric order in the document;
    that would let you just use the number of footnotes preceeding this one.

    If you really want to assign the numbers in the order in which they
    appear in the description... I suspect you're going to get into
    Meunchian-like processing to gather all the first-references in order
    and bind them to the values.

    Before trying to invent this, I'd suggest checking the XSLT FAQ to see
    if some has already solved it. It feels like something which is both
    common enough, and messy enough, to have been posted there.
    Joseph Kesselman, May 30, 2007