Literate programs in Python

Paul Miller

Does anyone know of any (preferably largish) examples of literate
programs written using Python? Alternatively, does anyone know of any
literate programming tools which support Python well? (I am aware of
Leo and I've been to literateprogramming.com, but any additional
pointers would be much appreciated!)

Thanks,

Paul

Mike Driscoll

Does anyone know of any (preferably largish) examples of literate
programs written using Python?  Alternatively, does anyone know of any
literate programming tools which support Python well?  (I am aware of
Leo and I've been to literateprogramming.com, but any additional
pointers would be much appreciated!)

Thanks,

Paul

Check out Zope, bittorrent, or Editra. You should just go to
SourceForge and do a search for projects done in Python.

Mike

Carl Banks

Check out Zope, bittorrent, or Editra. You should just go to
SourceForge and do a search for projects done in Python.

Those aren't examples of literate programming AFAIK. (Check Wikipedia
for "literate programming" if you're still confused.)

It occurs to me that one could get pretty close to literate
programming with Pure Python (if they stick to regular function calls
and not expect code weaving, which would need a preprocessor). A
fairly simple script could parse docstrings and Python source files
to produce a document from the source. In fact, there are tools that
can do that sort of thing already, but I doubt they output documents
according to literate programming expectations. Don't know of any
tools specifically for literate programming.

Carl Banks

Mike Driscoll

Those aren't examples of literate programming AFAIK.  (Check Wikipedia
for "literate programming" if you're still confused.)

It occurs to me that one could get pretty close to literate
programming with Pure Python (if they stick to regular function calls
and not expect code weaving, which would need a preprocessor).  A
fairly simple script could  parse docstrings and Python source files
to produce a document from the source.  In fact, there are tools that
can do that sort of thing already, but I doubt they output documents
according to literate programming expectations.  Don't know of any
tools specifically for literate programming.

Carl Banks

Sorry...I took the OP's meaning literally...

Mike

Michele Simionato

Does anyone know of any (preferably largish) examples of literate
programs written using Python? Alternatively, does anyone know of any
literate programming tools which support Python well? (I am aware of
Leo and I've been to literateprogramming.com, but any additional
pointers would be much appreciated!)

Thanks,

Paul

You may be interested in this:
http://stacktrace.it/articoli/2008/01/geek-publishing/

(you may want to use the Google Translator, unless you know Italian).