"Litte Ruby" book

Csaba Henk

The book (or book-germ) entitled "A Little Ruby, A Lot of Objects" was
possible to get from

http://www.visibleworkings.com/little-ruby/

but now it has just vanished.

Could someone who has it, pass it over?

(I tried the google cache way... I think it's unnecessary to go into details
about the drawbacks of that, I just tell you... it has many.)

Thanks,
--
Csaba

"There's more to life, than books, you know but not much more..."
[The Smiths]
***
If you want to send me a mail, see it in the mailto link at
http://www.renyi.hu/~ekho/egyelore.html

Carl Youngblood

Does anyone know what happened to this book? It looks like the author
quit writing it back in 2001. Brian Marick, are you there?

Brian Marick

Does anyone know what happened to this book? It looks like the author
quit writing it back in 2001. Brian Marick, are you there?

I'm here. I hope to restart at some point, but other projects keep
getting in the way.

It's missing because my ISP had a meltdown and turns out not to be so
great about backups. I'm not so great about keeping my master sources
an exact mirror of the website, so I'm going to rebuild my three sites
on my new ISP (which is Ruby-friendly: www.kattare.com).

Kingsley Hendrickse

Dick Davies

I'm here. I hope to restart at some point, but other projects keep
getting in the way.

Great news, this was a really clear explanation of parts of Ruby
that are a little cryptic for new arrivals.

Photis

I'm here. I hope to restart at some point, but other projects keep
getting in the way.

I don't know if this is the right place, but reading this tread got me
to the "little ruby" book, so maybe you'll be patient with me. I got
stuck on page 9 of chapter 1, where it says:

How can a String represent an Integer? A String with n characters
represents the Integer n.

My confusion could come from the fact that English is not my mother
tongue, but if I replace n with 5 and read the sentence aloud, it says
"a string with 5 characters represents the integer 5". So the string
"hello", which has 5 characters, represents the integer 5?

That doesn't make much sense to me. What am I missing?

photis

Carl Youngblood

(commenting without having read the material quoted) Maybe he is
referring to computability theory and the way Turing machines use
strings of different lengths to represent numbers. The contents of
the string aren't important in this case, since usually there are only
a few different possible symbols, but the length of them is.

Brian Marick

I'm here. I hope to restart at some point, but other projects keep
getting in the way.

The book is back, at http://www.visibleworkings.com.

Unfortunately, I resolved to decide at Agile Development Conference
whether to continue _A Little Ruby_ or start on _Driving Agile Projects
with Business-Facing Examples_. The latter won out. (But I did code a
little bit of Ruby while there...)

James Britt

Brian said:
The book is back, at http://www.visibleworkings.com.

Unfortunately, I resolved to decide at Agile Development Conference
whether to continue _A Little Ruby_ or start on _Driving Agile Projects
with Business-Facing Examples_. The latter won out. (But I did code a
little bit of Ruby while there...)

Glad to see the book is available again; sad that you do don't have
current plans to continue it.

The Little Ruby page at http://www.visibleworkings.com/little-ruby/
mentions a mailing list but, given your statement here, I suspect this
is no longer relevant. Am I correct?

Thanks,

James

Brian Marick

It still exists. I have three questions about the book from earlier in
this thread that I want to answer there, but I'll cc here.