little client + server app : has this been done?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Python Baby, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Python Baby

    Python Baby Guest

    I'm about to try a little test project in Python, but want to make sure
    I'm on the right foot.

    Any advice appreciated before I start this. MOST important : I want
    to make sure I'm not just re-inventing the wheel, if there's a library
    out there that does this exact thing already.

    SERVER:
    Has some protected files, not in a webroot, that I want to let the client
    download only if they pass me a verified key in the server's "OK" database.

    CLIENT:
    Knows which files it wants (by file id# not full path). Knows its key to
    get them. Passes some kind of message to the remote server saying, "Here
    is my key. Here is the file I want." Server replies by passing the file,
    and a little metadata about the file.

    Sound familiar?
    Should I do it from scratch or is this just some well-known library I
    don't know about? (I searched around, of course, but couldn't find one.)

    Thanks!
    Python Baby, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Python Baby

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Python Baby <> writes:
    > Should I do it from scratch or is this just some well-known library I
    > don't know about? (I searched around, of course, but couldn't find one.)
    >
    > Thanks!

    Use a web server.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Paul Rubin <http://> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Python Baby <> writes:
    > > Should I do it from scratch or is this just some well-known library I
    > > don't know about? (I searched around, of course, but couldn't find one.)
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > Use a web server.

    Good, terse advice. ;-)

    Mr. Baby, note that Python has both HTTP server (BaseHTTPServer,
    SimpleHTTPServer) and HTTP client (httplib, urllib) functionality
    built into the standard library. It will definitely pay off in the
    long run if you stick to open standards like HTTP instead of rolling
    your own protocols.

    -- Graham
    Graham Fawcett, Jan 28, 2004