little coding help [ very simple need quick replies ;) ]

Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
ok, my problem is this...

i have a while loop that isnt working like i want it to. My goal is for the program to stay inside the while loop until the three tests == True.

im testing to see if the entry is unique, if it is legal (1-9) and if the column choice is legal(0-8). Now what i need is for it to keep checking those Until all three are true then to exit the while loop.

even now when i reread my words something doesnt make sense... basically i have a string based on soduku game, "-1--37-9-". The code is very simple and justs asks for what number u want to add and where u want to add it. When i put in an illegal number or illegal place to add it, it tells me theres an error like "That number is already in the Row" YET it still adds the number in ><...
Code:
public void updateRow (String entryString, String columnString)
    {
      boolean test = false;
      int xEntryString = Integer.parseInt(entryString);
      int xColumnString = Integer.parseInt(columnString);
      while (test = false); // I cant get it to not still add the number in if all the tests == false.
     {
      if (isLegalEntry(xEntryString) == false)
        {
          System.out.println("Not a Legal Entry (1-9)");
        }
        else if (isUniqueEntry(entryString) == false)
        {
          System.out.println(entryString + " already appears in the row.");
        }
        else if (isLegalColumn(xColumnString) == false)
        {
          System.out.println("Not a legal column (0-8)");
        }
        test = true;
      }

      String newString = row.substring(0,xColumnString).concat(entryString).concat(row.substring(xColumnString,8));
      row = newString;