Little Help with JavaScript

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by vaib, Oct 16, 2009.

  1. vaib

    vaib Guest

    Hi All,

    I am relatively new to JavaScript and I have to develop something that
    seems like a good amount o learning curve for me right now.

    To make it simple here's the most simplistic view of what I have to do
    - A page where two DIVs are placed side by side and there's a button
    below. On the click of the button the DIVs should exchange their
    positions ( ofcourse, with everything in them also being exchanged ).
    I have to make it resolution free.

    I do not need any code as such ( although any help is appreciated )
    but what approach to take would be a great help.

    Meanwhile I am also searching google ;)

    Thanking in anticipation.

    - Vaibhav
    vaib, Oct 16, 2009

  2. vaib

    Luuk Guest

    vaib schreef:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am relatively new to JavaScript and I have to develop something that
    > seems like a good amount o learning curve for me right now.
    >
    > To make it simple here's the most simplistic view of what I have to do
    > - A page where two DIVs are placed side by side and there's a button
    > below. On the click of the button the DIVs should exchange their
    > positions ( ofcourse, with everything in them also being exchanged ).
    > I have to make it resolution free.
    >
    > I do not need any code as such ( although any help is appreciated )
    > but what approach to take would be a great help.
    >
    > Meanwhile I am also searching google ;)
    >
    > Thanking in anticipation.
    >

    > - Vaibhav

    - start coding
    - get help from Google
    - for reference you might go to http://w3schools.com/js/default.asp
    - when you have coded something, and get weird errors, post what you
    have made, and ask questions...

    --
    Luuk
    Luuk, Oct 16, 2009

  3. vaib

    SAM Guest

    Le 10/16/09 7:58 PM, vaib a écrit :
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am relatively new to JavaScript and I have to develop something that
    > seems like a good amount o learning curve for me right now.
    >
    > To make it simple here's the most simplistic view of what I have to do
    > - A page where two DIVs are placed side by side and there's a button
    > below. On the click of the button the DIVs should exchange their
    > positions ( ofcourse, with everything in them also being exchanged ).
    > I have to make it resolution free.

    Where are the divs ? (in another div, in the body?)

    Suppose they are only 2 and in the body :

    CSS:
    ====
    div { width: 38%; margin: 5%; float: left; border: 1px solid }
    #brk { text-align: center }

    JS :
    ====
    function move() { // move the 1st div at the end
    var d = document.getElementsByTagName('DIV')[0];
    document.body.appendChild(d);
    }

    html:
    =====
    <h2>Div #1</h2>
    <h2>Div #2</h2>

    > I do not need any code as such ( although any help is appreciated )
    > but what approach to take would be a great help.

    The function appendChild moves the child to the end of concerned element
    (from temp (document.createElement) or from the DOM already displayed)

    If you want to move to a certain place use insertBefore
    (in the same way as given above)

    > Meanwhile I am also searching google ;)

    <https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Node.appendChild>
    and see also :
    insertBefore, replaceChild, removeChild and cloneNode

    --
    sm
    SAM, Oct 16, 2009
  4. In comp.lang.javascript message <5bf6ef14-70ae-4ec9-aeed-123e5a6fbdb0@z3
    g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:58:40, vaib
    <> posted:

    >To make it simple here's the most simplistic view of what I have to do
    >- A page where two DIVs are placed side by side and there's a button
    >below. On the click of the button the DIVs should exchange their
    >positions ( ofcourse, with everything in them also being exchanged ).
    >I have to make it resolution free.

    Consider

    <input type=button onClick="Swap()">

    <script>
    function Swap() { var AA, BB, T
    AA = document.getElementById("A")
    BB = document.getElementById("B")
    T = AA.style.cssFloat
    AA.style.cssFloat = BB.style.cssFloat
    BB.style.cssFloat = T }
    </script>

    --
    (c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk IE7 FF3 Op9 Sf3
    Dr J R Stockton, Oct 16, 2009
  5. vaib

    Jorge Guest

    On Oct 17, 12:33 am, Dr J R Stockton <>
    wrote:
    > (...)
    >         <script>
    >         function Swap() { var AA, BB, T
    >           AA = document.getElementById("A")
    >           BB = document.getElementById("B")
    >           T = AA.style.cssFloat
    >           AA.style.cssFloat = BB.style.cssFloat
    >           BB.style.cssFloat = T }
    >         </script>

    Not even a single semicolon ?

    --
    Jorge.
    Jorge, Oct 17, 2009
  6. vaib

    vaib Guest

    On Oct 17, 12:23 am, Luuk <> wrote:
    > vaib schreef:
    >

    > > Hi All,

    > > I am relatively new to JavaScript and I have to develop something that
    > > seems like a good amount o learning curve for me right now.

    > > To make it simple here's the most simplistic view of what I have to do
    > > - A page where two DIVs are placed side by side and there's a button
    > > below. On the click of the button the DIVs should exchange their
    > > positions ( ofcourse, with everything in them also being exchanged ).
    > > I have to make it resolution free.

    > > I do not need any code as such ( although any help is appreciated )
    > > but what approach to take would be a great help.

    > > Meanwhile I am also searching google ;)

    > > Thanking in anticipation.

    > > - Vaibhav

    > - start coding
    > - get help from Google
    > - for reference you might go tohttp://w3schools.com/js/default.asp
    > - when you have coded something, and get weird errors, post what you
    > have made, and ask questions...
    >
    > --
    > Luuk

    Thanx for your reply but I just wanted to know where to start
    looking..!
    vaib, Oct 17, 2009
  7. vaib

    Luuk Guest

    vaib schreef:
    > On Oct 17, 12:23 am, Luuk <> wrote:
    >> vaib schreef:
    >>

    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I am relatively new to JavaScript and I have to develop something that
    >>> seems like a good amount o learning curve for me right now.
    >>> To make it simple here's the most simplistic view of what I have to do
    >>> - A page where two DIVs are placed side by side and there's a button
    >>> below. On the click of the button the DIVs should exchange their
    >>> positions ( ofcourse, with everything in them also being exchanged ).
    >>> I have to make it resolution free.
    >>> I do not need any code as such ( although any help is appreciated )
    >>> but what approach to take would be a great help.
    >>> Meanwhile I am also searching google ;)
    >>> Thanking in anticipation.
    >>> - Vaibhav

    >> - start coding
    >> - get help from Google
    >> - for reference you might go tohttp://w3schools.com/js/default.asp
    >> - when you have coded something, and get weird errors, post what you
    >> have made, and ask questions...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Luuk

    > Thanx for your reply but I just wanted to know where to start
    > looking..!

    http://w3schools.com/js/default.asp is a nice starting point...

    it has a "Start learning JavaScript now!" section tooo ;-)

    --
    Luuk
    Luuk, Oct 17, 2009
  8. vaib

    vaib Guest

    On Oct 17, 3:07 pm, Luuk <> wrote:
    > vaib schreef:

    > >> - start coding
    > >> - get help from Google
    > >> - for reference you might go tohttp://w3schools.com/js/default.asp
    > >> - when you have coded something, and get weird errors, post what you
    > >> have made, and ask questions...

    > >> --
    > >> Luuk

    > > Thanx for your reply but I just wanted to know where to start
    > > looking..!

    > http://w3schools.com/js/default.aspis a nice starting point...
    >
    > it has a "Start learning JavaScript now!" section tooo ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Luuk

    I've gone through it.
    vaib, Oct 17, 2009
  9. vaib

    rf Guest

    vaib wrote:
    > On Oct 17, 3:07 pm, Luuk <> wrote:
    >> vaib schreef:

    >>> Thanx for your reply but I just wanted to know where to start
    >>> looking..!

    >> http://w3schools.com/js/default.aspis a nice starting point...
    >>
    >> it has a "Start learning JavaScript now!" section tooo ;-)

    > I've gone through it.

    Just be aware that just like the rest of the w3schools site it is sometimes
    wildly inaccurate. For example: from that afforementioned page:
    "Javascript can be used to detect the visitor's browser".
    No, it cannot be used to do this. Not at all reliably.
    rf, Oct 17, 2009
  10. vaib

    vaib Guest

    On Oct 17, 3:53 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > vaib wrote:

    > >>http://w3schools.com/js/default.aspisa nice starting point...

    > >> it has a "Start learning JavaScript now!" section tooo ;-)

    > > I've gone through it.

    > Just be aware that just like the rest of the w3schools site it is sometimes
    > wildly inaccurate. For example: from that afforementioned page:
    > "Javascript can be used to detect the visitor's browser".
    > No, it cannot be used to do this. Not at all reliably.

    Yes I know. It's only for the one looking to learn the ABC of
    something. But thanx for responding.
    vaib, Oct 17, 2009
  11. vaib

    vaib Guest

    On Oct 17, 2:48 am, SAM <>
    wrote:
    > Le 10/16/09 7:58 PM, vaib a écrit :
    >
    > > Hi All,

    > > I am relatively new to JavaScript and I have to develop something that
    > > seems like a good amount o learning curve for me right now.

    > > To make it simple here's the most simplistic view of what I have to do
    > > - A page where two DIVs are placed side by side and there's a button
    > > below. On the click of the button the DIVs should exchange their
    > > positions ( ofcourse, with everything in them also being exchanged ).
    > > I have to make it resolution free.

    > Where are the divs ? (in another div, in the body?)
    >
    > Suppose they are only 2 and in the body :
    >
    > CSS:
    > ====
    > div { width: 38%; margin: 5%; float: left; border: 1px solid }
    > #brk { text-align: center }
    >
    > JS :
    > ====
    > function move() { // move the 1st div at the end
    > var d = document.getElementsByTagName('DIV')[0];
    > document.body.appendChild(d);
    >
    > }
    >
    > html:
    > =====
    >    <h2>Div #1</h2>
    >    <h2>Div #2</h2>
    >
    > > I do not need any code as such ( although any help is appreciated )
    > > but what approach to take would be a great help.

    > The function appendChild moves the child to the end of concerned element
    > (from temp (document.createElement) or from the DOM already displayed)
    >
    > If you want to move to a certain place use insertBefore
    > (in the same way as given above)
    >
    > > Meanwhile I am also searching google ;)

    > <https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Node.appendChild>
    > and see also :
    > insertBefore, replaceChild, removeChild and cloneNode
    >
    > --
    > sm

    <head>
    <title>Some Experiments with JS</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function Swap()
    {
    var AA = document.getElementById("A") ;
    var BB = document.getElementById("B") ;
    //var dup = AA.cloneNode(true);
    var replaced = document.body.replaceChild(BB,AA);
    //var replace2 = document.body.replaceChild(dup,BB);

    }
    </script>

    </head>

    <input type=button onClick="Swap()">

    When I try the above code. It successfully replaces div "A" by div
    "B" (as you can see through the replaceChild method) but the position
    of div "A" is lost. So I am not able to put "A" in "B"'s place. Is
    there some way to retain the positions ?

    Thanx.
    vaib, Oct 17, 2009
  12. Luuk wrote:

    > vaib schreef:
    > http://w3schools.com/js/default.asp is a nice starting point...

    It isn't.

    > it has a "Start learning JavaScript now!" section tooo ;-)

    The problem is that they they don't know what they are talking about.

    Please trim your quotes. <http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>

    PointedEars
    will want to steal it.)
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Oct 17, 2009
  13. vaib

    Luuk Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn schreef:
    > Luuk wrote:
    >
    >> vaib schreef:
    >> http://w3schools.com/js/default.asp is a nice starting point...

    > It isn't.

    why post this?,
    I did because the OP wanted a starting point,
    and i think it is..

    If you know a better starting point, than please SHARE

    --
    Luuk
    Luuk, Oct 17, 2009
  14. vaib

    SAM Guest

    Le 10/17/09 1:25 PM, vaib a écrit :

    > When I try the above code. It successfully replaces div "A" by div
    > "B" (as you can see through the replaceChild method) but the position
    > of div "A" is lost.

    I think that it is the div B who is lost (since it is now A).

    <head>
    <title>Some Experiments with JS</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function Swap(idDivA, idDivB)
    {
    var A, A1, B, B1;
    A = document.getElementById(idDivA) ;
    A1 = A.cloneNode(true);
    B = document.getElementById(idDivB) ;
    B1 = B.cloneNode(true);
    A.parentNode.replaceChild(B1,A);
    B.parentNode.replaceChild(A1,B);
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <button onClick="Swap('A','B')">xchge A B</button>
    <button onClick="Swap('C','B')">xchge C B</button>
    <button onClick="Swap('A','C')">xchge A C</button>

    --
    sm
    SAM, Oct 17, 2009
  15. On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 at 16:53:38, in comp.lang.javascript, Jorge wrote:
    >On Oct 17, 12:33 am, Dr J R Stockton <>
    >wrote:
    >> (...)
    >>         <script>
    >>         function Swap() { var AA, BB, T
    >>           AA = document.getElementById("A")
    >>           BB = document.getElementById("B")
    >>           T = AA.style.cssFloat
    >>           AA.style.cssFloat = BB.style.cssFloat
    >>           BB.style.cssFloat = T }
    >>         </script>

    >Not even a single semicolon ?

    He doesn't understand them, see
    <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-other.htm>,
    "Semicolons and Newlines".

    John
    --
    John Harris
    John G Harris, Oct 17, 2009
  16. vaib

    Mike Duffy Guest

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn schreef:

    >> Luuk wrote:

    >>> http://w3schools.com/js/default.asp is a nice starting point...

    >> It isn't.

    FWIW, I concur with Luuk. Granted, it may be a poor resource for those
    asdvanced anough to already understand the difference between methods,
    functions, properties, etc.

    But is it a good "Javascript for Dummies" site. (It worked for me.)
    Mike Duffy, Oct 17, 2009
  17. In comp.lang.javascript message <2fAM1$830F0FF37FB96852AD0
    8924D9443D28E23ED5CD>, Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:13:02, John G Harris
    <> posted:

    >He doesn't understand them, see
    > <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-other.htm>,
    > "Semicolons and Newlines".

    You have never given a justification for that statement with enough
    detail to make it understandable and therefore potentially refutable.
    Mere blather is inadequate.

    Why do you not instead write something of possible benefit to the OP -
    such as this : ?
    function Swap() { var AA, BB, T, F
    AA = document.getElementById("A").style
    BB = document.getElementById("B").style
    if (AA.styleFloat) F = "styleFloat"
    if (BB. cssFloat) F = "cssFloat"
    T = AA[F] ; AA[F] = BB[F] ; BB[F] = T }

    Dr J R Stockton, Oct 17, 2009
  18. On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 at 23:43:34, in comp.lang.javascript, Dr J R
    Stockton wrote:
    >In comp.lang.javascript message <2fAM1$830F0FF37FB96852AD0
    >8924D9443D28E23ED5CD>, Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:13:02, John G Harris
    ><> posted:
    >>
    >>He doesn't understand them, see
    >> <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-other.htm>,
    >> "Semicolons and Newlines".

    >You have never given a justification for that statement with enough
    >detail to make it understandable and therefore potentially refutable.
    >Mere blather is inadequate.

    <snip>

    As you've not been able to find the problem on your own I suppose I'd
    better give you a hint. Consider this piece of code :

    var a = 2;
    var b, c;
    if (a == 2) switch (a) { case 2: b = 5; break; } ; else b = 6;
    alert(b);

    Convince yourself that it contains a syntax error. Decide exactly what
    the problem is. Now review the following sentence in your web page :

    "Then every statement will be terminated by a semicolon."

    John
    --
    John Harris
    John G Harris, Oct 18, 2009
  19. vaib

    VK Guest

    John G Harris wrote:
    > As you've not been able to find the problem on your own I suppose I'd
    > better give you a hint. Consider this piece of code :
    >
    >     var a = 2;
    >     var b, c;
    >     if (a == 2) switch (a) { case 2: b = 5; break; } ; else b = 6;
    >     alert(b);
    >
    > Convince yourself that it contains a syntax error. Decide exactly what
    > the problem is. Now review the following sentence in your web page :
    >
    > "Then every statement will be terminated by a semicolon."

    Well, this sample doesn't prove the harm of semicolons omission
    because if-else *statement" will be indeed terminated by a semicolon
    in the tokenizer while semicolon insertion between if-else statement
    *expressions* is an error the tokenizer would not do.

    This group had its "aggressive purism" period including the immediate
    decapitation for any semicolon missing :) At that period some samples
    were found where missing explicit semicolon would lead to a unexpected
    result. The cases were not numerous at all and rather... special...
    yet there are of them if one search the archives.
    VK, Oct 18, 2009
  20. vaib

    vaib Guest

    On Oct 17, 6:51 pm, SAM <>
    wrote:
    > Le 10/17/09 1:25 PM, vaib a écrit :
    >

    > > When I try the above code. It successfully replaces div "A" by div
    > > "B" (as you can see through the replaceChild method) but the position
    > > of div "A" is lost.

    > I think that it is the div B who is lost (since it is now A).

    > <head>
    > <title>Some Experiments with JS</title>
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > function Swap(idDivA, idDivB)
    > {
    >         var A, A1, B, B1;
    >         A = document.getElementById(idDivA) ;
    >         A1 = A.cloneNode(true);
    >         B = document.getElementById(idDivB) ;
    >         B1 = B.cloneNode(true);
    >         A.parentNode.replaceChild(B1,A);
    >         B.parentNode.replaceChild(A1,B);}
    >
    > </script>
    > </head>
    >                 <button onClick="Swap('A','B')">xchge AB</button>
    >                 <button onClick="Swap('C','B')">xchge CB</button>
    >                 <button onClick="Swap('A','C')">xchge AC</button>
    >
    > --
    > sm

    ya thats when you use the second replaceChild.
    vaib, Oct 18, 2009