Little offtopic "ASP.NET vs. notouch apps"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by nospam, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Not going to happen. period...why? Because there are going to still be web
    sites out there that are PHP, JSP, ColdFusion, etc.....

    Second, these NO Touch apps are going to be HARD to USE anyway as arrogant
    programmers don't bother to ask if what they are doing makes sense.

    Third, if you want a RICH CLIENT, the CEO, COO, CTO, CIO and everyone up and
    down the line is going to use Macromedia FLASH anyway...they got a
    established technology, better graphics and sound people, etc.

    Fouth, you have to have a "TRAINING" manual to use that new Win32
    app....aghhhh.....not so with web sites.......

    The only people who advocate Win No-Touch deployment are the those that are
    still dragging and dropping controls and have ZERO web page experience.

    Then there is this thing about a URL of which Win apps don't have....Nor can
    you diagnose problems like you can with a URL, nor can you send out
    e-mails....nor can someone over the Internet see your app without installing
    some mess on their computer...

    In some companies, they don't even let java app or even some javascript on
    their intranet browser...so you can darn well KISS no-touch web app GOODBYE
    are those are so easy to hack, or cause someone computer to crash,
    information stolen....you name it......virus magnet......

    I could see the first company to use no-touch app and the programmers didn't
    completely test it and then 50% of the computers go down........

    There is ZIPPO advantage.......

    So, you can say "no-touch" is NOT going to be TOUCHED by companies.....

    "Flare" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I just read and experimented with normal .net GUI apps and deployed them
    > with notouch deployment strategie as smartclients.
    >
    > Is it just me, or i this an very neglected topic?
    >
    > For me it seems like the death of complicatet webpages full of hacks, and
    > the always present problem with browser incompatibility.
    >
    > For those who dosent know what notouch deployment is about, its actually a
    > quite simple concept. Your simply put your compiled .net win32 gui exe

    file
    > in a virtual dir on IIS. Now if someone redirects their browser to that

    URL
    > they fetch the program and it will automaticly popup, BUT in a safe
    > envoriment. This safe envoriment can off course be custimized to eg.
    > intranets. The exe file for at little gui interface is about 20 kb... Your
    > could of course just place a shortcut on the user desktop, so it would

    look
    > like a normal app.
    >
    > This seems like a great replacement for webpages, and for now, especially
    > intranets.
    >
    > The only draw back is that clients need the framework installed, but all

    XP

    Flare, Oct 17, 2003

  3. nospam

    Flare Guest

    > So, you can say "no-touch" is NOT going to be TOUCHED by companies.....

    Im looking forward to see other inputs on this (thx for yours). Your
    oppinons are good, thoug a little shallow, you say they are pure bad
    things....

    Regards
    Anders
    Flare, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Anders,

    Notouch deployment is a very good thing for deploying "smart client" apps.
    It's also absolutely ideal if you need to minimise administrative effort for
    deploying and updating applications that can either operate within the
    confines of an internal network, or across the internet.

    Providing the application is signed, you can also create custom application
    security groups on the target machines (via a "proper" MSI file) to allow
    the
    application to do useful stuff like accessing the filesystem if needed.

    To address your point about smart clients replacing web pages, yes - smart
    clients are now beginning to be used to replace administration type
    webpages, often employing HTTP based webservices to allow them to be run
    anywhere on the net.

    However, these applications will never replace a web application when
    cross-platform compatibility is needed or if the client computer's OS /
    environment is not known. There are many advantages to using a web based
    application for information presentation or site maintenance, but as we all
    know the environment is rather limited.
    Yes, Flash is an option for presenting content but doesn't by any means
    provide all the answers.

    If the GUI needs to be complex, and / or include rich windows forms
    controls, then a smart client is probably the best option. If however it
    will need to run across lots of different platforms, or be accessed by lots
    of different devices, then a web application may be a better move. Smart
    Client / notouch applications will not replace webapplications or
    traditional "thick" clients for general information presentation, though
    they are starting to be used to replace admin type web applications etc.

    Hope this helps clarify the situation with notouch deployment.

    --
    Regards

    Tim Stephenson MCSD.NET
    Charted MCAD & MCSD.NET Early Achiever

    Tim Stephenson, Oct 17, 2003
  5. nospam

    Rajesh.V Guest

    Now flare, i would say no-touch is the thing to use, and i feel they are
    goin to end web dominance. Its high time that such a poorly designed
    technology, which has been refitted, and outfitted, patched up somuch has
    been replaced by something sound. Ofcourse it wud take time but this sort of
    reaction is common when anything newcomes.

    Rajesh.V, Oct 17, 2003
  6. nospam

    nospam Guest

    "Tim Stephenson" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, Flash is an option for presenting content but doesn't by any means
    > provide all the answers.

    Yes, it might not provide all the answers, but it's probably the best answer
    overall.

    It's got graphics, sounds, speed in download, undateability, animation...
    If you tried to do that with a Windows no-touch app, it would take you
    forever and it would never compare to the FLASH designers out there in terms
    of quality..I have even seen some FLASH in 3-D.

    You can easily make changes as well on the fly without having this huge
    no-touch download.

    Plus, you can play lots and lots of games on FLASH....I would like to see a
    non-game programmer do that with a Windows no-touch app......there are tons
    of FLASH games on Yahoo right now....

    But most business apps are...."give me the answer in simple terms" so rich
    clients are not that important. I have seen all these market analysis
    packages and they do nothing for the bottom line of the company as customer
    want "simple" in the first place. I have seen a lot of these 3d or 4d
    Charts and they are so confusing they miss the point, a simple 2-d chart
    done right can speak volumes more than a 4-d chart. A lot of the fancy
    charts only show executive what they already know in the first place, so you
    end up having them use it once and then they never use it anymore afterwards
    cause it doesn't tell anything new that they don't already know on the
    field.....

    Any GUI that is rich or complex is probably headed in the wrong direction
    unless it catering to a developer or graphic designer in the first place
    that's trying to make something....

    People want simple clients NOT rich clients. Look at Yahoo, remember they
    have a really simple portal and then Netscape, Excite, Go, Alta Vista,
    etc....They all made their portals really fancy with tons and tons of
    information....and then guess what? They, finally after 2years, realized
    that Yahoo was right.....Look at Google..that's simple as well. PayPal,
    blogger, DMOZ, HotOrNot....all simple......

    nospam, Oct 18, 2003
  7. I think we're coming at this from different ends of the stick....

    Notouch applications will NEVER replace general HTML based web sites / web
    applications for any situation where information needs to be presented to
    the general public, or accessible from an uncontrolled client environment.

    However, in known environments (such as a corporate's internal network or
    maybe extranet), a no-touch application IS a viable alternative to web
    applications for presenting information or providing access to some sort of
    administration system.
    No-touch allows the use of a rich GUI environment, which simply cannot be
    provided by flash or simple HTML.

    I'm well aware of Flash's abilities as I'm a professional internet systems
    developer. I'm also well aware of its limitations.

    Tim Stephenson, Oct 20, 2003
  8. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Macromedia just announced that FLASH is being used in s NNT's DoCoMo cell
    phones

    http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2003/ntt_docomo.html

    FLASH blows away this so called Rich GUI that Windows can give to the user.

    If you want to look at the track record of FLASH vs. this Windows Rich GUI,
    there is no comparison.

    FLASH wins hands down.

    The FLASH designers out there will crush any Windows no-touch RICH GUI
    business app.

    The creativity of FLASH designers in itself if far far better than any
    Windows GUI Rich app that I have ever every seen.

    You know it, and I know it.

    Plus, you can always put FLASH on the web.......

    nospam, Oct 23, 2003
  9. It really is a shame that you just don't get the whole idea of the "bigger
    picture".

    Good luck with your flash.

    Tim Stephenson, Oct 23, 2003