    other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
    sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.

    G.

    G, Jun 30, 2005

  2. G wrote:
    > Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
    > my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
    > versions). I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
    > but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
    > other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
    > sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.
    >
    > G.

    URL?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 30, 2005

  3. G

    mark | r Guest

    javascript

    top.location="filename.htm"

    eacy!

    mark

    mark | r, Jun 30, 2005
  4. mark | r wrote:

    > javascript
    >
    > top.location="filename.htm"

    <snip>

    Yes if JavaScript is enabled. But a URL may reveal if OP has a syntax
    error or something that could be the real root of his problem. Als could
    answer his 2nd question.

    NOTE: I would suggest you stop *top posting*, it really peeves some of
    the locals...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 30, 2005
  5. G

    Dan Guest

    G wrote:
    > Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
    > my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
    > versions).

    But what happens when it's instead visited in a decent browser, like
    Mozilla?

    > I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
    > but it doesn't seem to work.

    I presume your DOCTYPE is XHTML rather than HTML, given the slash
    before the closing bracket.

    You seem to be mising a "content" attribute in the above meta tag.
    This is where you would define what page is being refreshed to and how
    long to wait before refreshing. Also, if you're refreshing to the same
    page where you currently are, that would cause the refresh tag to be
    reloaded too, so you'd have an infinite loop of refreshing.

    > Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
    > other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
    > sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.

    If the original page is index.html, then that's what you'd be refreshed
    to by default. But since you don't give any URL, we have no way of
    knowing for sure.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Jun 30, 2005
  6. G wrote:
    > Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    > I'm trying to get my html pages to refresh automatically
    > when re-visited in IE (various versions).

    Why only IE?

    What you seem to mean is that you want visitors to the site to be served
    fresh copies form the server on subsequent visits. This is best done by
    serving appropriate HTTP headers with the pages, to encourage specific
    caching behaviour and/or realistically stating when you expect the
    current version to expire.

    > I used this command

    HTML doesn't do commands.

    > in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>

    If complete (and in a valid HTML form) a meta-refresh element would not
    do what you describe (even when allowed to do anything). A (dynamically
    generated) meta-expires element would be closer, but still considerably
    less reliable than the equivalent HTTP header (and would be superfluous
    if that header existed).

    > but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing
    > something wrong, or is there any other way to do this?

    > Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
    > sent back to Index.html . What's that about?

    Without code to examine explanations of behaviour are pure speculation.
    My wild guess is that you are refreshing a frameset where the SRC of a
    frame is Index.html, and pressing F5 refreshes the frameset, re-loading
    its original content. The truth may be any one of another 50 plausible
    explanations.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Jun 30, 2005
  7. G

    Mitja Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:00:06 +0200, Richard Cornford
    <> wrote:

    >> Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
    >> sent back to Index.html . What's that about?

    > Without code to examine explanations of behaviour are pure speculation.
    > My wild guess is that you are refreshing a frameset where the SRC of a
    > frame is Index.html, and pressing F5 refreshes the frameset, re-loading
    > its original content. The truth may be any one of another 50 plausible
    > explanations.

    That was my first thought too. You may be using a frameset without even
    knowing - are you using an URL masking online-service?

    Mitja, Jun 30, 2005
  8. G wrote:

    > Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
    > my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various

    I don't use IE. Why do you want me not to see the same new pages?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 30, 2005
  9. G

    G Guest

    Thanks for all the replies. Of course I don't want to write only for IE -
    I'm only a newbie with almost no knowledge and I don't even know how to
    write for maximum useability. I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
    will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
    trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
    if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.

    G, Jul 2, 2005
  10. G wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies. Of course I don't want to write only for IE -
    > I'm only a newbie with almost no knowledge and I don't even know how to
    > write for maximum useability. I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
    > will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
    > trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
    > if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.
    >
    > "G" <> wrote in message

    <snip previous reply because top posting>
    One suggestion, lose the frames. You are only using one in your frameset
    anyway, the other has no source. Frames add a host of complications that
    you only have to search the news group with the keyword 'frames' to see.

    Next, place your reply after the previous replies like I am doing here,
    this is bottom posting and preferred by this group.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 2, 2005
  11. G

    G Guest

    Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
    this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
    see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
    Sorry about the "top posting".

    G, Jul 2, 2005
  12. G wrote:

    > Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
    > this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't

    You have a down-arrow key, right? You have a PageDown key, right? You
    have a vertical scroll bar and a mouse, right?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 2, 2005
  13. G wrote:
    > Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6?

    Press the PageDown key before typing?

    You also might want to install OE-QuoteFix and solve those kinds of
    problems.

    Modern newsreaders usually give the option as to where the insertion
    point is placed. Try Thunderbird.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 2, 2005
  14. G wrote:
    <snip>
    And I just realized that you can't
    > see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.

    <snip>
    Ah no, I CAN see you HTML, I just looked at the source of the one frame
    you have.

    To remove the frames, delete the default page on server for
    'www.breezeinn.ca' the one with the:

    <framset ... >
    <frame ... >
    <frame ... >
    </frameset>

    and replace with code from:

    http://www3.telus.net/public/gebrown/Home.html

    the frame source and voila, bye bye frames...

    then move other documents, About.html, Spinnaker%20Suite.html, and other
    to www.breezeinn.ca and you done the first step...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 2, 2005
  15. On 02/07/2005 04:29, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    [snip]

    > To remove the frames, delete the default page on server for
    > 'www.breezeinn.ca' [...]

    Though I agree that frames should generally be avoided, and there are
    certainly no structural or organisational necessities that mean these
    frames should be kept, I do believe you're overlooking one rather vital
    point.

    The frames at <URL:http://www.breezeinn.ca/> are part of those awful
    redirection/URL masking schemes whereby a server generates a frameset
    for one domain, but inserts the contents of another into the resulting
    frames. As browsers only shown the URL for the frameset itself, it looks
    as though you are always browsing within the initial domain.

    [snip]

    So,

    > then move other documents, About.html, Spinnaker%20Suite.html, and other
    > to www.breezeinn.ca and you done the first step...

    ....that won't be possible without a proper hosting solution.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Jul 2, 2005
  16. In article <EFmxe.103198$9A2.76074@edtnps89>, "G" <>
    wrote:

    > Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
    > this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
    > see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
    > Sorry about the "top posting".

    I know nothing about Outlook Express, but can't you move to the bottom
    of the page before typing? Can't you delete portions of the page that
    you're not directly responding to by highlighting and deleting or
    backspacing? Can't you remove peoples signatures by the same method. I
    suggest that you experiment. Pretend you're going to post, fool with
    deletion and moving the cursor or highlighting and deleting. Click where
    you want to insert text, type something clever or inane and discard the
    results instead of posting until you are comfortable with what you see
    "most" others doing in the group.
    I can't believe that OE wouldn't let you respond to a snippet of text in
    one sentence if you wished. Otherwise, it's woefully inadequate.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 2, 2005
  17. G

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "G" <>
    >
    > Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
    > this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
    > see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
    > Sorry about the "top posting".

    Perhaps your OE is very different to mine, but I would bet money on it being
    able to bottom post. In mine (OE for a Mac) there is an option for where to
    put the insertion point in replying (called preferences, this is sure to be
    in options in the PC version). You can select the text of what you want to
    reply to and only it will appear in the post.

    Actually, I find it easy to simply go to reply to all and just cut the rest
    and put the insertion point at the bottom. I leave it at top posting setting
    because ordinarily, I like that my more beautiful words and phrases and
    remarks appear at the top. But on newsgroups, no one likes this, and I am
    gooder than good. You could do worse than to watch all my posts and see how
    I behave, how I set things out beautifully, culling to the minimum and not
    going on and on and on and on and on and on ...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 2, 2005
  18. G

    G Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> From: "G" <>
    >>
    >> Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to
    >> do
    >> this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
    >> see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time
    >> being.
    >> Sorry about the "top posting".

    > Perhaps your OE is very different to mine, but I would bet money on it
    > being
    > able to bottom post. In mine (OE for a Mac) there is an option for where
    > put the insertion point in replying (called preferences, this is sure to
    > be
    > in options in the PC version). You can select the text of what you want to
    > reply to and only it will appear in the post.
    >
    > Actually, I find it easy to simply go to reply to all and just cut the
    > rest
    > and put the insertion point at the bottom. I leave it at top posting
    > setting
    > because ordinarily, I like that my more beautiful words and phrases and
    > remarks appear at the top. But on newsgroups, no one likes this, and I am
    > gooder than good. You could do worse than to watch all my posts and see
    > how
    > I behave, how I set things out beautifully, culling to the minimum and not
    > going on and on and on and on and on and on ...
    >
    > dorayme

    When I try to reply in OE, the only choices I see are: 'New Post' - pretty
    sure this isn't what I want, 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
    this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments, 'Reply to all' - this
    isn't right is it? Or 'Reply or Reply to sender' - which takes me into an
    e-mail message. The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
    'Reply Group' and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
    to the entire newsgroup?" What else can I do - this is the only way to post
    a reply! That's what I had to do to get this message to post. Although I can
    put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom
    posting...

    G, Jul 2, 2005
  19. In article <RWqxe.111445$tt5.29796@edtnps90>, "G" <>
    wrote:

    > 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
    > this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments

    That's gotta be the one.

    > The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
    > 'Reply Group'

    Edit your text and do your replies there.

    > and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
    > to the entire newsgroup?"

    The program is just trying to warn you that you'll be replying to
    thousands of people all over the world if it's anything like the one I'm
    using.

    > Although I can
    > put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom
    > posting...

    If you post to "everything" that's been said, you leave all that's been
    said above what you comment on. Otherwise you do what I just did. Excise
    the parts you don't want to comment on and reply to specific portions
    that you do have comments on below what you're commenting on.
    My apologies if OE won't do this.
    But start with 'Reply Group' and ignore the 'entire newsgroup' question,
    scary though it may sound.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 2, 2005
  20. Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <RWqxe.111445$tt5.29796@edtnps90>, "G"
    > <> wrote:

    >> 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since this is what I did to get
    >> the "top posting" comments

    > That's gotta be the one.

    >> The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose 'Reply
    >> Group'

    > Edit your text and do your replies there.

    >> and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply to the
    >> entire newsgroup?"

    > The program is just trying to warn you that you'll be replying to
    > thousands of people all over the world if it's anything like the one
    > I'm using.

    >> Although I can put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's
    >> what's meant by bottom posting...

    OP: You're now posting. On the bottom. Hey! Bottom posting!

    > If you post to "everything" that's been said, you leave all that's
    > been said above what you comment on. Otherwise you do what I just did.
    > Excise the parts you don't want to comment on and reply to specific
    > portions that you do have comments on below what you're commenting on.
    > My apologies if OE won't do this.

    Of course it will do that, as long as he has direction keys, scroll bars
    and a mouse, and a delete key. My money's on "he has those things." :)

    > But start with 'Reply Group' and ignore the 'entire newsgroup'
    > question, scary though it may sound.

    And yet even with the warning, I see people nearly every day posting
    what they think is an email to Aunt Sally to a newsgroup. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 2, 2005