Little Question (Not Technical but .. Educational?)

Trukin

Hi,

Maybe some of you have heard of Business Professionals of America or
BPA? Well, Im going to compete in it next March or whenever the next
competition they are having is going to be hold. So, they have many
categories, and i can complete in various of them, one of them which
attracted my attention is "C++ Programming"!

The sad thing is that i don't know C++ as well as i would have liked,
i know some, but like a n00b's knowledge.

So, i always wanted to learn this language but really didn't get into
it as i would have liked to. I am a 3 year php programmer and i have i
learned java and the OOP concept. I believe that it would be easy for
me to learn this language since php/java/c have a similarity in their
syntax.

So, i have about 5 months to prepare myself for this great challenge.

Last year, only one person in state did this competition for C++
Programming, easy shot to Nationals.

So ... [u say] cut to the chase ...

My plans here are to ask you, c++ guru, C++ learner, or idk, to help
me buy choose some books that might help me understand what the
competition asks for.

"C++ Programming (40). The C++ programmer will work with structured
designs, algorithms,
and/or pseudocodes; code into C++ language; test, debug, and maintain
computer programs."
[from http://www.bpanet.org/events/doc/WSAPContestListDescrptn.pdf,
competitions' description]

I really want to do this, since i love programming, but never got 100%
into C++, even though i think it is a great language.

Please help me

Thank You!

Guest

[...]

Well, at least you got some programming experience, that will help some.
As the the similarities of syntax, that's about where the similarities
end, there are lots of Java programmers who write really bad C++ code
when they switch because they think they can apply the same structure
they used in Java in C++.

Since you have some programming experience you might be able to handle
The C++ Programming Language, by Bjarne Stroustrup, it covers most of
the language but it's not an easy bok. Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moe
is often recommended as a good book for beginners, also Thinking in C++,
by Bruce Eckel, which is available for free on the net.