Little question on Global.asax

Amirallia

I developped a WEB application for a customer. All is ok.

Now I have made changes in the Global.asax.vb file

My question is what files must I send to the customer for having this
changes ? Only the *.dll ?

Josh

I think you should be able to get away with the DLL on its own. But you
should be able to knock up a quick little test app on your development box
to prove it!

Ersin Gençtürk

although you have changed only the code , sending dll only will be okey.

Grant Merwitz

actually it depends on your compilation method.

By default, visual studio.net compiles all .cs/.vb files into a .dll in
which case you can just upload the .dll.
But if you've specified a differen't compilation method, or created the app
in another editor - not having compiled the Global.asax.vb into the .dll -
then that file will be needed,

Testing on a development box is without question the way to assure it works

Ersin Gençtürk

grant are you sure that any other way exists using the codebehind file
without compiling ? I don't think so.If it was a code snippet in the html
code you were right.

Grant Merwitz said:
actually it depends on your compilation method.

By default, visual studio.net compiles all .cs/.vb files into a .dll in
which case you can just upload the .dll.
But if you've specified a differen't compilation method, or created the app
in another editor - not having compiled the Global.asax.vb into the .dll -
then that file will be needed,

Testing on a development box is without question the way to assure it works

Grant Merwitz

when I started with .net, I was using notepad to create applications - no,
I'm not joking :).
All .cs/.vb files had to be compiled through the command prompt using
csc.exe/vbc.exe

If you didn't specify a .cs/.vb file, it would need to be uploaded to the
web server as is.

A way of specifying whether the codebehind is compiled or not is in the Page
directive.
By default, visual studio uses:
CodeBehind="Page.cs" / CodeBehind="Page.vb"

But you can change this to
Src="Page.cs" / Src="Page.vb"
Then this code behind can be read on the web server without compiling it
into the .dll

This method is advantageous for a web application that is still in
development, or is constantly changing.
As you do not need to rely on the .dll to be compiled for every little
change (excluding .aspx changes).
However, by precompiling all code files, the app will runs faster, and there
are more debug options available

Having used both options, I much prefer the complete compilation method.

FYI
In .NET 2.0 you have the option now to completely compile an application
including .ASPX files.
This is quite exciting ITO speed, source security and version control.