Live Chat

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Eric, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I'm wanting to set up a complex chat system. I'm just doing some initial
    research at the moment. Perhaps this is a little off-topic, and I apologise
    in advance for that, but I don't know where else to start and a lot of yuo
    guys have been very helpful in the past.

    I have a web site which generates sales enquiries via an online form. These
    enquiries go into a database (MySQL). I have about 100 dealers who regularly
    log in to a back end system and view the enquiries which they are allowed
    to. They can then use the back end system to send quotes out to the original
    enquiror. The whole thing is written in Perl.

    My question is this... How can I set it up so that the enquirors can enter
    into a "LiveChat" stylee conversation with the dealers if they want? I
    _need_ to be able to record the conversations so that dealers and enquirors
    alike can browse through their past messages.

    I've been looking at third party software such as LivePerson - but to use
    their setup would require me to have an account for each of my dealers, and
    probably would not let me customise it in the way I require.

    Any ideas?

    Many thanks!!!

    Eric
    Eric, Feb 25, 2004

  2. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:09:34 -0000, Eric <> wrote:
    > I'm wanting to set up a complex chat system. I'm just doing some initial
    > research at the moment. Perhaps this is a little off-topic, and I apologise
    > in advance for that, but I don't know where else to start and a lot of yuo
    > guys have been very helpful in the past.

    I think Randal wrote a Web Techniques article on this...

    <clicketyclick>

    Aha!

    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/
    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col16.html
    John J. Trammell, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Eric

    kz Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote in message
    > I'm wanting to set up a complex chat system. I'm just doing some initial
    > research at the moment. Perhaps this is a little off-topic, and I

    apologise
    > in advance for that, but I don't know where else to start and a lot of yuo
    > guys have been very helpful in the past.
    >
    > I have a web site which generates sales enquiries via an online form.

    These
    > enquiries go into a database (MySQL). I have about 100 dealers who

    regularly
    > log in to a back end system and view the enquiries which they are allowed
    > to. They can then use the back end system to send quotes out to the

    original
    > enquiror. The whole thing is written in Perl.
    >
    > My question is this... How can I set it up so that the enquirors can enter
    > into a "LiveChat" stylee conversation with the dealers if they want? I
    > _need_ to be able to record the conversations so that dealers and

    enquirors
    > alike can browse through their past messages.
    >
    > I've been looking at third party software such as LivePerson - but to use
    > their setup would require me to have an account for each of my dealers,

    and
    > probably would not let me customise it in the way I require.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Many thanks!!!
    >
    > Eric

    I have written a network chat app using POE not so long ago.
    You might want to check http://poe.perl.org?POE_Cookbook

    Good luck,

    Zoltan Kandi, M. Sc.
    kz, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Eric

    Arne Gödeke Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote:

    > I'm wanting to set up a complex chat system. I'm just doing some initial
    > research at the moment. Perhaps this is a little off-topic, and I apologise
    > in advance for that, but I don't know where else to start and a lot of yuo
    > guys have been very helpful in the past.
    >
    > I have a web site which generates sales enquiries via an online form. These
    > enquiries go into a database (MySQL). I have about 100 dealers who regularly
    > log in to a back end system and view the enquiries which they are allowed
    > to. They can then use the back end system to send quotes out to the original
    > enquiror. The whole thing is written in Perl.
    >
    > My question is this... How can I set it up so that the enquirors can enter
    > into a "LiveChat" stylee conversation with the dealers if they want? I
    > _need_ to be able to record the conversations so that dealers and enquirors
    > alike can browse through their past messages.
    >
    > I've been looking at third party software such as LivePerson - but to use
    > their setup would require me to have an account for each of my dealers, and
    > probably would not let me customise it in the way I require.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Many thanks!!!
    >
    > Eric

    Have a look at