    to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    changes to a website about lunch etc.

    Regards

    Denebola, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Denebola

    Els Guest

    Denebola wrote:

    > Could i have a live clock on a webpage and a small area on the page
    > changes it's picture and link with each second or 60 seconds etc. So
    > for example, the time is 08:00 and a jpg with link when clicked will go
    >
    > to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    > changes to a website about lunch etc.

    Yes, you could do that - just need server side scripting.
    But don't forget that 8am where you are, could be 5pm where the
    visitor is.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Denebola

    Denebola Guest

    Thanks for your reply but i know absolutely nothing about server side
    scripting.... i don't know where to start...... is there a tutorial you
    can recommend or at least point me in the right direction
    Regards

    Denebola, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Denebola

    Els Guest

    Denebola wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply but i know absolutely nothing about server side
    > scripting.... i don't know where to start...... is there a tutorial you
    > can recommend or at least point me in the right direction

    I'd first check which scripting languages are supported on your
    server, and then ask again in a newsgroup about that language.
    For instance, if your server supports PHP, go to alt.php or a similar
    newsgroup for instructions.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Denebola

    Denebola Guest

    thank you....

    Denebola, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Denebola

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Denebola" <> wrote:

    > Could i have a live clock on a webpage and a small area on the page
    > changes it's picture and link with each second or 60 seconds etc. So
    > for example, the time is 08:00 and a jpg with link when clicked will go
    >
    > to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    > changes to a website about lunch etc.
    >

    > Regards

    Yes I think you can with javascript and other methods but all
    are possibly a bit hard for you... There are a million things to
    want. Forget them all. Lets get back to the globe, your first and
    nicest idea: let me add more perhaps "not quite on the mark"
    advice:

    OK, suppose you have taken the movie of a spinning globe (a very
    very easy thing to do with modern digital (mainly 'still')
    cameras. You are daunted by the idea of getting at all the frames
    and don't know software for it well. Don't worry. Just play the
    movie on your screen and keep stopping it and screen shot what
    you like, (take about twenty, evenly spaced). Turn these into
    gifs (You can do this, don't worry, ask). Now run the gifs into
    an animated gif builder facility. Let it be jerky and small
    rather than smooth and big. It will be cuter that way. Don't try
    to be too professional, people will see thru it...

    I am warming to your project... but please don't keep changing
    it. Be steadfast.

    If you have no particular project in mind, make a site about the
    conditions of things at various latitudes. This way an image map
    (very simple code, easy to give you) will work well on the
    spinning earth.

    Time (longitude) is very boring. Space, (latitude) is more
    interesting.

    Why hell, I have a very good digital and will look for a globe
    myself.... If I had this digital when I was coming to earth I
    would have taken the real thing. There are no Sony central shops
    on Mars.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 20, 2006
  7. Denebola

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 19 Jan 2006 09:42:42 -0800, "Denebola" <> wrote:

    >Could i have a live clock on a webpage

    It's very difficult and it's not very useful. Almost every user will
    already have a clock anyway.

    It's _very_ difficult to do this well.

    Andy Dingley, Jan 20, 2006
  8. Denebola

    Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > "Denebola" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Could i have a live clock on a webpage and a small area on the page
    > > changes it's picture and link with each second or 60 seconds etc. So
    > > for example, the time is 08:00 and a jpg with link when clicked will go
    > >
    > > to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    > > changes to a website about lunch etc.
    > >

    > > Regards

    > Yes I think you can with javascript and other methods but all
    > are possibly a bit hard for you... There are a million things to
    > want. Forget them all. Lets get back to the globe, your first and
    > nicest idea: let me add more perhaps "not quite on the mark"
    > advice:

    No point. It won't do what he wanted to do in that question, and
    certainly won't help in this one. That advice has now become "way off
    the mark".

    --
    Hywel

    , Jan 20, 2006
  9. Denebola

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > "Denebola" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Could i have a live clock on a webpage and a small area on the page
    > > > changes it's picture and link with each second or 60 seconds etc. So
    > > > for example, the time is 08:00 and a jpg with link when clicked will go
    > > >
    > > > to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    > > > changes to a website about lunch etc.
    > > >

    > > > Regards

    > > Yes I think you can with javascript and other methods but all
    > > are possibly a bit hard for you... There are a million things to
    > > want. Forget them all. Lets get back to the globe, your first and
    > > nicest idea: let me add more perhaps "not quite on the mark"
    > > advice:

    > No point. It won't do what he wanted to do in that question, and
    > certainly won't help in this one. That advice has now become "way off
    > the mark".

    OP just wants something that is interesting, live, moving,
    snazzy, swinging, rotating. Something! It is no use exploring
    every possible idea. The globe was put and it needs exploring.
    You must not be so squeamish about flogging dead horses, Hywel.
    For things to be way off mark, there needs to be some place where
    it was right on mark. Where was that?

    Aren't you a teensy weensy bit interested in further ideas of
    mine about spinning globes? God damn it, man, I was just getting
    going too...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Denebola

    Denebola Guest

    Now call me stupid.... but if i use a script for an analogue
    clock.....with hour(h), minute(m), and second(s) hands, surely the
    position of the hands is determined by coordinates and if so, then
    basic programming will allow me to say, if coordinate (h) and
    coordinate (m) and coordinate (s) are true, then let the link in the
    webpage equal http://(x). If i can't do this in the 21st century, i'll
    be suprised. i could have done in the 80's.......

    Denebola, Jan 21, 2006
  11. Denebola wrote:

    > Now call me stupid.... but if i use a script for an analogue
    > clock.....with hour(h), minute(m), and second(s) hands, surely the
    > position of the hands is determined by coordinates and if so, then
    > basic programming will allow me to say, if coordinate (h) and
    > coordinate (m) and coordinate (s) are true, then let the link in the
    > webpage equal http://(x). If i can't do this in the 21st century, i'll
    > be suprised. i could have done in the 80's.......

    If you are talking about JavaScript and capturing mouse click positions
    in your calculations, well this can be a browser dependent nightmare.
    Sounds what you are looking for would be far better suited for Flash or
    Java where all events are contained within the object and animation is
    better supported

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 21, 2006
  12. Denebola

    Denebola Guest

    No....i'm really talking about changing a link depending on the time of
    day......

    Denebola, Jan 21, 2006
  13. Denebola

    Denebola, Jan 21, 2006
  14. Denebola

    Denebola, Jan 21, 2006
  15. Denebola wrote:

    > No....i'm really talking about changing a link depending on the time of
    > day......

    Denebola please learn to quote what you are referring to.

    Whose time of day? The client's timezone, the server's timezone, or the
    timezone of some place specified on your site?

    Links can be changed with JavaScript, if the client does not have it
    disabled, but animation and mouse coordinates are better handled with
    Flash or Java Applet.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 22, 2006
  16. Denebola

    Denebola Guest

    Denebola wrote...."Now call me stupid.... but if i use a script for an
    analogue
    clock.....with hour(h), minute(m), and second(s) hands, surely the
    position of the hands is determined by coordinates and if so, then
    basic programming will allow me to say, if coordinate (h) and
    coordinate (m) and coordinate (s) are true, then let the link in the
    webpage equal http://(x). If i can't do this in the 21st century, i'll
    be suprised. i could have done in the 80's......."

    I'm sure I have been to websites that when i log in, a personal message
    is displayed saying 'Good morning Denebola' or Good evening Denebola'
    depending on my local time. Essentially it is this function that I'm
    looking for.

    Regards.

    Denebola, Jan 22, 2006
  17. Denebola wrote:
    > Denebola wrote...."Now call me stupid.... but if i use a script for an
    > analogue
    > clock.....with hour(h), minute(m), and second(s) hands, surely the
    > position of the hands is determined by coordinates and if so, then
    > basic programming will allow me to say, if coordinate (h) and
    > coordinate (m) and coordinate (s) are true, then let the link in the
    > webpage equal http://(x). If i can't do this in the 21st century, i'll
    > be suprised. i could have done in the 80's......."

    First of all, if I understand you correctly, if you are looking to draw
    elements to represent hands of an analog clock, that is 'vector' can
    cannot be really done with HTML and JavaScript. To animate the hands you
    would need image of each hand in every possible position you want to
    display... Next if you want to trap x,y coordinates of mouse clicks in
    your link selection well JavaScript is a problem see:

    http://www.quirksmode.org/js/events_properties.html
    Javascript - Event properties

    and

    http://www.evolt.org/article/Mission_Impossible_mouse_position/17/23335/
    Mission Impossible - mouse position | evolt.org

    Not really the 80's but more like the early 90's by my recollection when
    Netscape was the browser with events, their method was proprietary, as
    with MS's approach to follow and now there are more browsers in the mix...

    > I'm sure I have been to websites that when i log in, a personal message
    > is displayed saying 'Good morning Denebola' or Good evening Denebola'
    > depending on my local time. Essentially it is this function that I'm
    > looking for.

    Yes this is easy to do with JavaScript with localtime function, but the
    rest with animation, my point is HTML and JavaScript are not the best
    tools. IOW yes you can dig a hole with a teaspoon, but a shovel is a
    better suited tool...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 22, 2006
  18. Denebola

    Jose Guest

    > No....i'm really talking about changing a link depending on the time of
    > day......

    Then you're going about it the hard way. It sounded like you want to
    draw a picture (clock) that's different depending on the time of day,
    and then changing the link based on a mouse click's relationship to the
    picture.

    A server script can figure out the server's time of day, but probably
    doesn't know the client's time of day. A client side script can
    probably determine the client's time of day, and be given the server's
    time of day, and pick from a list of links. And you can have a single
    link (current_link.html) which points to a page which the server updates
    depending on the server's time of day (this of course requires the
    cooperation of the hosting company).

    However, all of this sounds like fluff that a new user might think
    "cool" the first time, but adds little or nothing to the web site.
    Instead of saying "I want to do this_cool_thus_and_such", pretend you're
    the user who is saying "I want to accomplish this" and then design your
    website accordingly.

    Back to your original post:

    > Could i have a live clock on a webpage and a small area on the page
    > changes it's picture and link with each second or 60 seconds etc. So
    > for example, the time is 08:00 and a jpg with link when clicked will go
    >
    > to a website about breakfast; then at 12:00 the picture and link
    > changes to a website about lunch etc.

    Using this example, first, I would never think to click on a clock to go
    to a food website. Second, it might be lunch time and I want to see
    what was, or will be for breakfast. Your scheme prevents that.

    I would have three links: breakfast, lunch, dinner. I would trust the
    user to know what meal they are interested in, and click the appropriate
    link. I suppose this is low on the cool factor, but high on the useful
    factor. It solves the user's problem (I want to know my dinner options
    this morning while I'm on the net, and before I go on the outing).

    Jose

    Jose, Jan 22, 2006
  19. Denebola

    Koolack

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    HTML Live Clock

    i'm setting up a clock on my webpage i need it to show up to 7 different times zones but i need the mins different. I can not for the life of me figure it out i have a clock aready i just need to modify it so that the mins are different for each time zone.

    Koolack, Sep 11, 2008