Live Connect problems with IE6

Discussion in 'Java' started by Marco Stoll, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Marco Stoll

    Marco Stoll Guest

    Hi.

    I encountered some strange problems using the Live Connect API
    within IE6.

    If someone has experienced similar problems or could provide
    solution hints, I would be very grateful.

    TIA,

    Marco Stoll

    THE PROBLEM:
    The main problem is that the browser sometimes just stops when
    the javascript to java communication routine is triggered.
    In this case the browser must be closed and restarted again.
    This behaviour shows up irregularly and cannot always be reproduced.

    Everything works fine if a java plug-in is installed. But using the java
    plug-in slows down my applets performance dramatically.
    With IE5 or IE5.5 no plug-in is needed and everything works fine
    as well.

    THE SCENARIO:
    My page contains a Frameset. One frames displays an java applet
    that generates a tree view of the website loaded in the other frame.

    Whenever someone navigates within this website a small javascript
    is executes that calles a public method of my applet.
    This method allows the applet's tree to follow the website
    navigation with it's highlighting of the current page.

    THE CODE:
    Here is the applet tag:

    <APPLET NAME="WebsiteExplorer" WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%"
    CODE="WebsiteExplorer" ARCHIVE="websiteexplorer.jar" MAYSCRIPT>
    <PARAM NAME="MAYSCRIPT" VALUE="true">
    </APPLET>

    Here is the the necessary part of the javascript function:

    function _navigate() {
    parent.frames[0].WebsiteExplorer.navigate(1, 1);
    }
    _navigate(); // call the applets navigation tracking method

    And here is the applets navigation tracking method:

    public void navigate(int pageID, int langID) {
    myTree.navigate(pageID, langID);
    }
    Marco Stoll, Jun 30, 2003