    similar ease of use.

    (Note: He will not in anyway be changing the design of his page -- just the
    visible info therein. . .)

    M, Jul 21, 2007

  2. M

    MoiMoi Guest

    In article <SPfoi.133807$1i1.59017@pd7urf3no>,
    says...
    > A friend wants the ability to correct the odd bit of info on his webpage. He
    > has no desire to learn html and he is a complete and total noob wrt web
    > design.
    >
    > I'm looking for a simple editor that will let him edit his pages in wysiwyg
    > mode and update live within his browser. HTML Quick Edit
    > (http://www.winutility.com/qeb/) just about fits the bill except that I
    > can't get the FTP function to work at all. Does anyone know of a tool with
    > similar ease of use.
    >
    > (Note: He will not in anyway be changing the design of his page -- just the
    > visible info therein. . .)

    AFAIK, up through NetScape 7 has the HTML Composer component.
    You can still download that from netscape.com.
    It writes some rather funky HTML (lots of redundant tags, best I
    remember), but worked okay.

    MM

    MoiMoi, Jul 21, 2007

  3. M

    Ed Mullen Guest

    MoiMoi wrote:
    > In article <SPfoi.133807$1i1.59017@pd7urf3no>,
    > says...
    >> A friend wants the ability to correct the odd bit of info on his webpage. He
    >> has no desire to learn html and he is a complete and total noob wrt web
    >> design.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a simple editor that will let him edit his pages in wysiwyg
    >> mode and update live within his browser. HTML Quick Edit
    >> (http://www.winutility.com/qeb/) just about fits the bill except that I
    >> can't get the FTP function to work at all. Does anyone know of a tool with
    >> similar ease of use.
    >>
    >> (Note: He will not in anyway be changing the design of his page -- just the
    >> visible info therein. . .)

    > AFAIK, up through NetScape 7 has the HTML Composer component.
    > You can still download that from netscape.com.
    > It writes some rather funky HTML (lots of redundant tags, best I
    > remember), but worked okay.
    >
    > MM

    Much better would be Nvu. It's Composer split off from the
    Netscape/Mozilla Suite. Nvu is far from perfect but it's a lot better
    than the Composer component of either NS or Mozilla Suite.

    http://www.nvu.com/index.php

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 21, 2007
  4. M

    Guest

    , Jul 21, 2007
  5. M

    M Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > MoiMoi wrote:
    >> In article <SPfoi.133807$1i1.59017@pd7urf3no>,
    >> says...

    > Much better would be Nvu. It's Composer split off from the
    > Netscape/Mozilla Suite. Nvu is far from perfect but it's a lot better

    Too complicated. This guy is REALLY a noob. Anything more complicated than a
    simple RTF-style toolbar is likely to confuse him.

    Also, in my experience with NVu and Kompozer, they tend to spontaneously
    re-format the code on pages.

    M, Jul 21, 2007
  6. M

    M Guest

    M, Jul 21, 2007
  7. M

    Mathias K. Guest

    Am Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:20:02 GMT schrieb M:

    > A friend wants the ability to correct the odd bit of info on his webpage. He
    > has no desire to learn html and he is a complete and total noob wrt web
    > design.
    >
    > I'm looking for a simple editor that will let him edit his pages in wysiwyg
    > mode and update live within his browser. HTML Quick Edit
    > (http://www.winutility.com/qeb/) just about fits the bill except that I
    > can't get the FTP function to work at all. Does anyone know of a tool with
    > similar ease of use.
    >
    > (Note: He will not in anyway be changing the design of his page -- just the
    > visible info therein. . .)

    I might have something for you!
    http://www.snippetmaster.com/

    It's a very handy tool that allows you to edit HTML files
    directly online, or only certain parts of them.
    The usage is comparable to Word, so your friend should
    be able to cope with it.

    There is a free (lite) and a pro edition, but the lite edition
    is sufficient in most cases, i think.

    ~ Mathias

    Mathias K., Jul 21, 2007
  8. "M" <> writes:

    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >> MoiMoi wrote:
    >>> In article <SPfoi.133807$1i1.59017@pd7urf3no>,
    >>> says...

    >> Much better would be Nvu. It's Composer split off from the
    >> Netscape/Mozilla Suite. Nvu is far from perfect but it's a lot better

    > Too complicated. This guy is REALLY a noob. Anything more complicated than a
    > simple RTF-style toolbar is likely to confuse him.

    You could set him up with a simple content-management interface using FCKEditor
    or some other in-browser editor. That would also avoid the whole upload issue
    entirely - in my experience, uploading files tends to confuse non-technical
    people as much or more than writing HTML code.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 21, 2007
  9. M

    Guest

    , Jul 21, 2007
  10. M

    M Guest

    "Mathias K." <> wrote in message
    > Am Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:20:02 GMT schrieb M:

    > I might have something for you!
    > http://www.snippetmaster.com/

    Not sure if this is the right tool, but it intrigues me. It appears that you
    wrap your editable content with specific comment tags. Does this mean I
    would have to "wrap" each editable text area of my pages? That's a lot of
    comment tags to litter throughout the site and would increase my
    behind-the-scenes "housekeeping" horrendously.

    Is my understanding correct? For example, the webpage in question includes a
    lot of tabular data. Would each cell's content have to be wrapped separately
    in a Snippetmaster tag in order to make it editable?

    M, Jul 21, 2007
  11. wrote:
    > On Jul 21, 2:14 pm, "M" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yikes. I'll start checking 'em out. . .

    > If you don't find anything in those 10 pages, scroll down to the
    > bottom of the page & put in another word in place of wysiwyg in the
    > Search ctring & click Search alongside the new entry.
    >
    > I just did & this looks suitable.
    >
    > Total Web Kit
    > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/WEB-Design/HTML-Editors/Total-Web-Kit.shtml
    > http://www.totalwebkit.com/?r=f2

    Or visite
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/edit/
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jul 21, 2007
  12. M

    M Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message
    > "Mathias K." <> wrote in message
    >> Am Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:20:02 GMT schrieb M:

    Got my answer, thx. It appears the Pro version would allow wysiwyg vs. text
    mode editing but not the freeware version. The wysiwyg mode is the one that
    would work for my friend. I don't want him to see or tinker with the 'behind
    the scenes' stuff. Good concept though. . .

    M, Jul 22, 2007
  13. M

    Mathias K. Guest

    Am Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:29:55 GMT schrieb M:

    > "M" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mathias K." <> wrote in message
    >>> Am Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:20:02 GMT schrieb M:

    > Got my answer, thx. It appears the Pro version would allow wysiwyg vs. text
    > mode editing but not the freeware version. The wysiwyg mode is the one that
    > would work for my friend. I don't want him to see or tinker with the 'behind
    > the scenes' stuff. Good concept though. . .

    Just to make that clear:
    You can in fact also use WYSIWYG with the free version!
    It's just that in "general options" you can choose how
    to edit complete files, in text or wysiwyg mode. The first
    option is standard.

    Mathias K., Jul 22, 2007
  14. M

    M Guest

    "Mathias K." <> wrote in message
    > Am Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:29:55 GMT schrieb M:

    > Just to make that clear:
    > You can in fact also use WYSIWYG with the free version!

    Aaah, I'll check it out. . .

    M, Jul 22, 2007