Live Meter Data on the Web - Advice Please

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by BCM, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. BCM

    BCM Guest

    I've been asked to display some meter data on the web and I need preliminary
    advice.

    We have several hundred meters on site, with a system that writes out xml
    files at 10 second intervals containing their data. (These files are
    overwritten every 10 seconds, not appended to.)

    First, I need to display two numeric pieces of this data just as numbers in
    a web page. Naturally that's easy enough: where I'm stumped is REFRESHING
    that data when it's updated every 10 seconds. Of course I don't want to
    refresh the whole page, but only update a particular number when its
    associated xml file is updated.

    I've seen this done client side with javascript, but it was pretty cludgey.
    Can ASP.NET help me here with a kind of persistant connection to these xml
    files? (I thought the DataSet did such business out of the box, but it
    doesn't as far as I can tell.)

    Second, I need to use this data later for graphic trend displays. In other
    words, I need to show in graph or chart form how each of these meters is
    performing over time. Since the xml files are overwritten, I obviously have
    to persist each piece of data somehow. I can think of any number of ways to
    do this, but none of them seem too elegant. Any advice anyone might have
    will help me think this through.

    BCM, Sep 12, 2004