Load<A HREF='document.doc'> in Word - not in Explorer????

Erik Ronne

Hello Gurus

I have an intranet web page with links to all kinds of Microsoft Word
document that we use at my work, so my co-works can go to the web page when
they need a special document. However, when they click the links the
documents are of cause loaded in the web browser MS Explorer and not opened
in MS Word, which is annoying.

Are there any tricks - in VBScrip, JavaScript, Java or simply in HTML, that
let me load a Word-link in Word and not in Explorer?

BR

/Erik

Please, mail any answers not only to the newsgroup, but also to me:

(e-mail address removed)

Steve R.

Erik Ronne wrote in message ...
However, when they click the links the documents are of cause loaded in
the web browser MS Explorer and not opened in MS Word, which is annoying.

Assuming that all your 'Word' docs are saved with a filename ending .doc
then normally they would automatically be opened in 'Word'.

If the intranet URL path is not to the correct filename but to a long
*friendly* name then maybe that's why it's happening the way it is.

Other than that, the user's preference for opening files on the individual
PCs are not set up correctly.

Grant Wagner

Erik said:
Hello Gurus

I have an intranet web page with links to all kinds of Microsoft Word
document that we use at my work, so my co-works can go to the web page when
they need a special document. However, when they click the links the
documents are of cause loaded in the web browser MS Explorer and not opened
in MS Word, which is annoying.

Are there any tricks - in VBScrip, JavaScript, Java or simply in HTML, that
let me load a Word-link in Word and not in Explorer?

BR

/Erik

Please, mail any answers not only to the newsgroup, but also to me:

(e-mail address removed)

If you have control over the server, and have some sort of server-side
processing, you could send the following headers:

Then read and send the file to the client.

It is my experience that Internet Explorer will prompt you to save (or open in
Microsoft Word, not an embedded control if you have Word installed) the file.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*