Load<A HREF='document.doc'> in Word - not in Explorer????

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Erik Ronne, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Erik Ronne

    Erik Ronne Guest

    Hello Gurus

    I have an intranet web page with links to all kinds of Microsoft Word
    document that we use at my work, so my co-works can go to the web page when
    they need a special document. However, when they click the links the
    documents are of cause loaded in the web browser MS Explorer and not opened
    in MS Word, which is annoying.

    Are there any tricks - in VBScrip, JavaScript, Java or simply in HTML, that
    let me load a Word-link in Word and not in Explorer?

    BR

    /Erik

    Please, mail any answers not only to the newsgroup, but also to me:

    Erik Ronne, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Erik Ronne

    Steve R. Guest

    Erik Ronne wrote in message ...
    > However, when they click the links the documents are of cause loaded in
    > the web browser MS Explorer and not opened in MS Word, which is annoying.

    Assuming that all your 'Word' docs are saved with a filename ending .doc
    then normally they would automatically be opened in 'Word'.

    If the intranet URL path is not to the correct filename but to a long
    *friendly* name then maybe that's why it's happening the way it is.

    Other than that, the user's preference for opening files on the individual
    PCs are not set up correctly.

    Steve R., Feb 25, 2004

  3. Erik Ronne

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Erik Ronne wrote:

    > Hello Gurus
    >
    > I have an intranet web page with links to all kinds of Microsoft Word
    > document that we use at my work, so my co-works can go to the web page when
    > they need a special document. However, when they click the links the
    > documents are of cause loaded in the web browser MS Explorer and not opened
    > in MS Word, which is annoying.
    >
    > Are there any tricks - in VBScrip, JavaScript, Java or simply in HTML, that
    > let me load a Word-link in Word and not in Explorer?
    >
    > BR
    >
    > /Erik
    >
    > Please, mail any answers not only to the newsgroup, but also to me:

    If you have control over the server, and have some sort of server-side
    processing, you could send the following headers:

    Then read and send the file to the client.

    It is my experience that Internet Explorer will prompt you to save (or open in
    Microsoft Word, not an embedded control if you have Word installed) the file.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *