Load a list of images in an Array on the server dynamically

John

Hi,
we have the following problem:

in our application v1.0 we have static html pages (+ some javascript).
With a CMS (a Content Management System) some "mortal" people can add
or expand the available images for the start site. The site loads
randomly an image or a Flash animation (if the flash plugin is
present) through a javascript and each time the start site loades and
displays only 1 different picture. At the moment the name of these
files are hardcoded (with relative paths) in a javascript and filled
in an array.

We have Java and some Javascript experience.

The wish: the "mortal" can add pics/flash animation with the CMS in a
specific folder.

The problem: we must be able to display the new pics/flash without
hard coding, this means, somehow the javascript must fill an array
wich contains the name of all images/flash, dynamically. The script
has to read the directory where these files are located and fill them
in the array.

The BIG problem: users do no have to download the jre if they don't
want it (this is a business requirement).

How can we fill the array dynamically with javascript? Ithink we
should solve this problem on the server-side.

If we have to do it with an applet and the read back the files in the
script, then we also must solve it on the server.

One requirement more: must work on Netscape 6.0 + 7.1 and IE 5.5 + 6.0
No CGI, VBScript, PHP or ASP, because we have not the necessary
know-how for it.

Any suggestion/help will be VERY VERY appreciated..
Haa a good day everybody

John

Andrew S.

[...]

It's a server-side issue to manage the List (or array).

All your available image/Flash files must be easily identified (such
as located in their own folder as you suggest). Get a List of the
applicable files and store it in the Application context so it's
immediately available to any http request that needs it (instead of
having to rebuild the List all the time).

When a mortal uploads a new image/Flash rebuild the List. Create a
Servlet which accepts the uploaded image/Flash file, stores it, and
rebuilds the List.

Since you can't use static html files to build the client-side
javascript, you'll need to look into using JSP or some other template
technology in order to create the dynamic javascript.

Andrew