Load C extension in Mac OS X linked a a dylib

Elias Athanasopoulos

Hello!

I noticed that Ruby is refusing to load an extension in Mac OS X
(Leopard, 2.5.5), unless it is a bundle. I used dtruss to confirm that
Ruby is looking only for .rb and .bundle files to load. Is there a
special reason for that?

Regards,
Elias

Nobuyoshi Nakada

Hi,

At Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:23:08 +0900,
Elias Athanasopoulos wrote in [ruby-talk:321544]:
I noticed that Ruby is refusing to load an extension in Mac OS X
(Leopard, 2.5.5), unless it is a bundle. I used dtruss to confirm that
Ruby is looking only for .rb and .bundle files to load. Is there a
special reason for that?

What differences between bundle and dylib?

Luc Heinrich

What differences between bundle and dylib?

On OS X a dylib is a "normal" shared library usually brought to life
by the system dynamic linker (dyld) and a bundle library is a
programmatically loadable module. The other main difference I know of
is that bundles can be unloaded while dylib cannot.