load testing a web service

ArunPrakash

Hi,
Am trying to load test a web service. Its a simple web service that
returns "Hello World" after a sleep time of 300 ms. I have written a
custom test harness that creates threads in the following manner.

1. First creates 15 threads.
2. After some time, creates 5 threads at a time and reaches MAXTHREADS
number of threads.
3. It is made sure that for x minutes of time, there are always close
to MAXTHREADS number of threads running(by creating new threads in
steps).

Each thread calls the web service method just once.

I have written this harness instead of WAST or ACT because, ultimately
am going to use this harness to load test a much complicated set of web
services that has a separate framework written in .Net in order to
access them.

Is the approach am using right?

The problem am getting is, when am running 100 MAXTHREADS, for 80% of
the requests am getting Access Forbidden Error(403) exception at the
test client. The web service is running on Windows 2003 Server and test
client on a win xp professional machine.

What could be the issue and are there any settings that i need to
change?

I tried changing parameters in httpruntime tag in machine.config. The
only parameter change that gave a tad better output was changing
minFreeThreads="4" from minFreeThreads="8".