Loader Element in Tomcat Context Fragment causes "Servlet default is not available"

Daniel Bove

Okay, I was experimenting with Context Fragments in Tomcat 5.0.16 and
I am having all sorts of problems. I was hoping someone could point
out what I am doing wrong.

I've boiled everything down to this. Create a new web application
that contains nothing but an image and a minimal web.xml file.

-----------------
The web.xml looked something like this:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
<display-name>New Test</display-name>
</web-app>

-----------------

and then, in conf/Catalina/localhost, create a context fragment called
newtest.xml. It looks like this:

<Context path="/newtest" docBase="newtest" privileged="true"
reloadable="true" debug="0">
<Loader checkInterval="15" />
</Context>

I also tried filling in the defaults, leaving them, et cetera, et
cetera.

If I try to reach the image from my browser when there is no Loader
element in the Context fragment then everything works as expected. If
I add the Loader element to my context fragment, attempts to access
the image return:

HTTP Status 404 - Servlet default is not available

type Status report

message Servlet default is not available

description The requested resource (Servlet default is not available)
is not available.