ivan danicic

hello! I find that some large applets in my web pages take either a very
long time or for ever to load when using internet explorer; they all load
using linux konqueror, albeit slowly. Has anyone else experienced this?
Comments gratefully received.
Ivan

nialltimpson

Yes, I'm working on a project with many applets, an while I was using 1.3
every thing was loading very very quickly but now that im using 1.5 small
applets like max size of 15 kb are taking several min to load.

What version of java are you using.

also in the past hour even though nothing was changed im get the error

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getHeaderField(Unknown
Source)
at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPanel.paint(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.paintGrayBox(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.repaintGrayBox(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.progressFinish(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.util.EventMulticaster.progressFinish(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.util.ProgressMonitor.unregisterSource(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.ProgressSource.finishTracking(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.KeepAliveStream.close(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.MeteredStream.justRead(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.MeteredStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$HttpInputStream.read(Unknown
Source)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$ErrorStream.getErrorStream(Unknown
Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)
at sun.plugin.net.protocol.http.HttpUtils.followRedirects(Unknown
Source)
at sun.plugin.cache.CachedFileLoader.download(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.cache.CachedFileLoader.load(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.cache.FileCache.get(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.cache.PluginCacheHandler.get(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(Unknown
Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)
... 15 more

when every anything loads.

ivan danicic

nialltimpson said:
Yes, I'm working on a project with many applets, an while I was using 1.3
every thing was loading very very quickly but now that im using 1.5 small
applets like max size of 15 kb are taking several min to load.

What version of java are you using.

also in the past hour even though nothing was changed im get the error
snip
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
et.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$ErrorStream.getErrorStream(Unknown
Source)
when every anything loads.
Hello, I run version 2. There are no error messages.
Ivan

ivan danicic

nialltimpson said:
does you have the animated logo running while loading the applet?
What is this logo? I don't observe anything animated running while loading.
Ivan

nialltimpson

It a java mug inside a star, and the star rotates's, I'm guessing your
applet is just grey while loading.

Try Recompileing your code usng JDK version 1.3,
And for your JRE
Java Plug-in 1.5.0
Using JRE version 1.5.0 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

Or post one of your slow applets and Ill see if there is something else
wrong.

Niall

ivan danicic

nialltimpson said:
well it loadws very fast for me, here (I actuallyment to code) but Id say
try updating your JRE, as that would be the logical explanation

Niall
Hello Niall, that's very interesting; were you using I.Explorer? I am not
clear what I am supposed to update; presumably it's something to do with
the java in the browser. I have no idea how to do that.
Ivan