    file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents DIV... I am
    trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.

    If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?

    Wÿrm, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Wÿrm

    PeterMcC Guest

    Wÿrm wrote:
    > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    >
    > Basically what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on
    > html file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents
    > DIV... I am trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.
    >
    > If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?

    Have a look at http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml
    Dead easy and, because it's server-side, it works across all browsers.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Wÿrm

    Long Guest

    "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message news:S3xlb.14319$9.net...
    : Wÿrm wrote:
    : > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    : >
    :
    : Have a look at http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml
    : Dead easy and, because it's server-side, it works across all browsers.
    :
    SSI #include will pull in the entire file content so you will have a mal-formed
    final document.

    Check out my post on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html under the
    subject heading: How to include an HTML doc in another HTML doc
    or you can check out WebCharm at our web site.

    www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wc

    --
    Long On
    Edgesoft Consulting Inc.

    Long, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

    > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message news:S3xlb.14319$9.net...
    > : Wÿrm wrote:
    > : > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    > : >
    > : > Basically what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on
    > : > html file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents
    > : > DIV... I am trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.
    > : >
    > : > If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?
    > :
    > : Have a look at http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml
    > : Dead easy and, because it's server-side, it works across all browsers.
    > :
    > SSI #include will pull in the entire file content so you will have a mal-formed
    > final document.
    >
    > Check out my post on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html under the
    > subject heading: How to include an HTML doc in another HTML doc
    > or you can check out WebCharm at our web site.

    <snip link to expensive server modification, bordering on spam>

    Fortunately, the Product Catalog seems to be missing, along with the
    price.
    "The product catalog is temporarily unavailable." ...

    The SSI will work just fine on most all capable web servers, and is free.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Wÿrm

    Long Guest

    : > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    : > : Wÿrm wrote:
    : > : > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    : > : >
    : > : > Basically what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on
    : > : > html file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents
    : > : > DIV... I am trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.
    : > : >
    : > : > If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?
    : > :
[...]
    So you are ok with having mulitple <HEAD>,<TILE>, and <BODY> tags
    in the generated document?

    If your ISP is WebCharm-enabled, would it cost you anything?

    Long

    Long, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Wÿrm

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Long" <> wrote:
    >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    >
    >: The SSI will work just fine on most all capable web servers, and is free.
    >:
    >So you are ok with having mulitple <HEAD>,<TILE>, and <BODY> tags
    >in the generated document?

    Why do you ask? The files included via the SSI don't have those tags
    in them, just the content that needs including. So it's a non issue.

    >If your ISP is WebCharm-enabled, would it cost you anything?

    Can you provide a list of WebCharm enabled web hosts?
    I don't see why anyone would need to change their ISP, just their
    hosting solution.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Oct 22, 2003
  7. In article <rnxlb.13487$>,
    says...

    > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message news:S3xlb.14319$9.net...
    > : Wÿrm wrote:
    > : > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    > : >
    > : > Basically what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on
    > : > html file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents
    > : > DIV... I am trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.
    > : >
    > : > If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?
    > :
    > : Have a look at http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml
    > : Dead easy and, because it's server-side, it works across all browsers.
    > :
    > SSI #include will pull in the entire file content so you will have a mal-formed
    > final document.

    How did you draw that conclusion? What if the include file simply
    contains:
    This is my web page

    No mark-up, just plain text.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Wÿrm

    Long Guest

    : >:
    : >So you are ok with having mulitple <HEAD>,<TILE>, and <BODY> tags
    : >in the generated document?
    :
    : Why do you ask? The files included via the SSI don't have those tags
    : in them, just the content that needs including. So it's a non issue.
    :
    That was the question of the original poster. To include an HTML file.

    If the include file contains some HTML mark up, how would you get a
    preview without running it through the web server each time? The
    @charm:html tag is specialized to include an HTML file so that you can
    edit and preview the file, in-tact.

    : >If your ISP is WebCharm-enabled, would it cost you anything?
    :
    : Can you provide a list of WebCharm enabled web hosts?
    : I don't see why anyone would need to change their ISP, just their
    : hosting solution.
    :
    The product is very new and we are working on partnering with ISPs
    so that WebCharm can be made available. We are open to ideas on
    the best way to do this.

    Long
    www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html

    Long, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Wÿrm

    Long Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    : In article <rnxlb.13487$>,
    : says...
    : >
    : > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    : > : Wÿrm wrote:
[...]
    Sure, no arguments here, but that was not the question.

    Long
    www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html

    Long, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > : >
    > : > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    > : > : Wÿrm wrote:
    > : > : > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    > : > : >
    > : > : > Basically what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on
    > : > : > html file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents
    > : > : > DIV... I am trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.
    > : > : >
    > : > : > If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?
    > : > :
    > : > : Have a look at http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml
    > : > : Dead easy and, because it's server-side, it works across all browsers.
    > : > :
    > : > SSI #include will pull in the entire file content so you will have a mal-formed
    > : > final document.
    > : >
    > : > Check out my post on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html under the
    > : > subject heading: How to include an HTML doc in another HTML doc
    > : > or you can check out WebCharm at our web site.
    > :
    > : <snip link to expensive server modification, bordering on spam>
    > :
    > : Fortunately, the Product Catalog seems to be missing, along with the
    > : price.
    > : "The product catalog is temporarily unavailable." ...
    > :
    > : The SSI will work just fine on most all capable web servers, and is free.
    > :
    > So you are ok with having mulitple <HEAD>,<TILE>, and <BODY> tags
    > in the generated document?

    No, of course not. I would not be stupid enough to put <HEAD>,
    <TILE> [sic], <BODY> etc in the include file.

    Notice the OP said:

    "what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on html file."

    He implies the menu HTML will be in a file, and the contents HTML will be
    in a file. Common stuff. Doesn't need to be charmed at all.

    > If your ISP is WebCharm-enabled, would it cost you anything?

    I'll never know.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Wÿrm

    Long Guest

    : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    : > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    : > news:FNylb.46152$...
    : > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    : > : >
    : > : > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    : > news:S3xlb.14319$9.net...
    : > : > : Wÿrm wrote:
    : > : > : > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : > Basically what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on
    : > : > : > html file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents
    : > : > : > DIV... I am trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : > If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?
    [snip]
    : Notice the OP said:
    :
    : "what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on html file."
    :
    : He implies the menu HTML will be in a file, and the contents HTML will be
    : in a file. Common stuff. Doesn't need to be charmed at all.
    :
    It is funny how we each interpret the OP differently. Perhaps he/she can
    pitch in and clarify.

    : > If your ISP is WebCharm-enabled, would it cost you anything?
    :
    : I'll never know.

    I suppose not.

    Long, Oct 22, 2003
  12. Wÿrm

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Long" <> wrote:
    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message news:...
    >: "Long" <> wrote:
    >: >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    >: >news:FNylb.46152$...
    >: >
    >: >: The SSI will work just fine on most all capable web servers, and is free.
    >: >:
    >: >So you are ok with having mulitple <HEAD>,<TILE>, and <BODY> tags
    >: >in the generated document?
    >:
    >: Why do you ask? The files included via the SSI don't have those tags
    >: in them, just the content that needs including. So it's a non issue.
    >:
    >That was the question of the original poster. To include an HTML file.

    The OP was looking for a frames replacement. Your solution is server
    side and so would involve reloading the whole page, not just the
    content portion.

    The include file can and should contain only that HTML which is
    needed. If they want to include an entire HTML file that they can not
    edit (e.g. one from another server) then either some form of server
    side scraping and reformatting is required, or another techonology
    (<object>, <iframe> or even, heavens forbid, frames) would be used.

    Can your system include files from another server altogether? Say I
    wanted to include a page from Yahoo in the middle of one of my pages
    (let's ignore the copyright issues for now).

    >If the include file contains some HTML mark up, how would you get a
    >preview without running it through the web server each time?

    Local development server.

    > The
    >@charm:html tag is specialized to include an HTML file so that you can
    >edit and preview the file, in-tact.

    Why would you want to preview the content of your include file out of
    context of the whole page? Surely it wouldn't make any sense to just
    preview a nav bar, for example, without seeing how that nav bar
    interacted with the rest of the page.

    >: >If your ISP is WebCharm-enabled, would it cost you anything?
    >:
    >: Can you provide a list of WebCharm enabled web hosts?
    >: I don't see why anyone would need to change their ISP, just their
    >: hosting solution.
    >:
    >The product is very new and we are working on partnering with ISPs
    >so that WebCharm can be made available. We are open to ideas on
    >the best way to do this.

    Not spamming newsgroups would be my first suggestion.

    Steve Pugh, Oct 22, 2003
  13. Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > : > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > : > news:FNylb.46152$...
    > : > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > : > : >
    > : > : > "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    > : > news:S3xlb.14319$9.net...
    > : > : > : Wÿrm wrote:
    > : > : > : > Is there simple way to "LOAD" external html file to some DIV?
    > : > : > : >
    > : > : > : > Basically what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on
    > : > : > : > html file. I want load external HTML:s from that menu DIV to contents
    > : > : > : > DIV... I am trying to avoid using frames etc. with this.
    > : > : > : >
    > : > : > : > If it is possible, how widely it is supported by browsers?
    > [snip]
    > : > : The SSI will work just fine on most all capable web servers, and is free.
    > : > :
    > : > So you are ok with having mulitple <HEAD>,<TILE>, and <BODY> tags
    > : > in the generated document?
    > :
    > : No, of course not. I would not be stupid enough to put <HEAD>,
    > : <TILE> [sic], <BODY> etc in the include file.
    > :
    > : Notice the OP said:
    > :
    > : "what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on html file."
    > :
    > : He implies the menu HTML will be in a file, and the contents HTML will be
    > : in a file. Common stuff. Doesn't need to be charmed at all.
    > :
    > It is funny how we each interpret the OP differently. Perhaps he/she can
    > pitch in and clarify.

    Why would you interpret "a menu DIV and a content DIV" as needing to
    include an HTML _page_ rather than the HTML _code_ of the menu (links,
    buttons, whatever) and the text/graphics of the content in the content DIV
    as an HTML _page_ ?

    You're confusing a complete page with the HTML in an Include file, which
    of course could be menu.html or menu.inc or menu.txt or menu.foo ...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2003
  14. Wÿrm

    : >: "Long" <> wrote:
    : >: >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    : >: >news:FNylb.46152$...
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >That was the question of the original poster. To include an HTML file.
    :
    : The OP was looking for a frames replacement. Your solution is server
    : side and so would involve reloading the whole page, not just the
    : content portion.
    :
    Ok, but that was not my interpretation...

    : The include file can and should contain only that HTML which is
    : needed. If they want to include an entire HTML file that they can not
    : edit (e.g. one from another server) then either some form of server
    : side scraping and reformatting is required, or another techonology
    : (<object>, <iframe> or even, heavens forbid, frames) would be used.
    :
    I have no objection to the intended use of #include. I am only sugesting
    an alternative to include anything.htm.

    : Can your system include files from another server altogether? Say I
    : wanted to include a page from Yahoo in the middle of one of my pages
    : (let's ignore the copyright issues for now).
    :
    No and for obvious reasons.

    : >If the include file contains some HTML mark up, how would you get a
    : >preview without running it through the web server each time?
    :
    : Local development server.

    So do I.

    :
    : > The
    : >@charm:html tag is specialized to include an HTML file so that you can
    : >edit and preview the file, in-tact.
    :
    : Why would you want to preview the content of your include file out of
    : context of the whole page? Surely it wouldn't make any sense to just
    : preview a nav bar, for example, without seeing how that nav bar
    : interacted with the rest of the page.

    I just want to quickly check that the syntax is correct and to identify
    any potential problems early on. If there was a problem when viewed in
    context, it would be more difficult to isolate which include file contains the
    culprit. But that is by choice.

    : >:
    : >The product is very new and we are working on partnering with ISPs
    : >so that WebCharm can be made available. We are open to ideas on
    : >the best way to do this.
    :
    : Not spamming newsgroups would be my first suggestion.
    :
    Ok, would it be ok if I post my how-to series say once every few days?

    Long
    www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html

    Long, Oct 22, 2003
  15. Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message news:...
    > :
    > : Not spamming newsgroups would be my first suggestion.
    > :
    > Ok, would it be ok if I post my how-to series say once every few days?

    This is a discussion group about html, not an advertising group. So is
    c.i.w.a.h. If you did that, I'm sure someone would report you to your
    abuse desk.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2003
  16. Wÿrm

    Wÿrm Guest

    > Notice the OP said:
    >
    > "what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on html file."
    >
    > He implies the menu HTML will be in a file, and the contents HTML will be
    > in a file. Common stuff. Doesn't need to be charmed at all.

    Sorry if I have poked to some kinda hornets nest here with my question, it
    was NOT my intention...

    My plan is to generate html page where either I build "MENU" to some DIV
    using external file, or i build inside of pages to some DIV...

    basically it means I want have some menu where i can click link, and that
    link loads new page to DIV, if possible.. if not, i am willing to go and
    take route where whole "menu" is generated and placed on DIV and there in
    menu i have different links to different html files (that link menu DIV)...

    i would like to prefer that menu links would be capable of loading external
    files to DIV (or to anything else in html), it would me "clearest" that way,
    but i am willing to make sacrifices with this thing...

    Wÿrm, Oct 22, 2003
  17. Wÿrm

    Long Guest

    : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    : > "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    : > :
    : > : Not spamming newsgroups would be my first suggestion.
    : > :
    : > Ok, would it be ok if I post my how-to series say once every few days?
    :
    : This is a discussion group about html, not an advertising group. So is
    : c.i.w.a.h. If you did that, I'm sure someone would report you to your
    : abuse desk.
    :
    What you are saying is I should passively respond to questions relating to HTML
    and not proactively contributing new ideas. What kind of attitude is that? If
    everyone hold that kind of attitude, the net as a whole would be borrring....

    My how-to series focus on a problem and present a possible solution.
    Not all of them are the same thing and repeating. So I made a bad choice
    of presenting two similar problems. But the next one should give you something
    to think about. Unfortunately, I should wait a few days before posting just in case
    I should offend anyone.

    Long

    Long, Oct 22, 2003
  18. Wÿrm

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Wÿrm" <>
    writing in news:bn6oou$5ub$:

    >> Notice the OP said:
    >>
    >> "what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on html
    >> file."
    >>
    >> He implies the menu HTML will be in a file, and the contents HTML will
    >> be in a file. Common stuff. Doesn't need to be charmed at all.

    > Sorry if I have poked to some kinda hornets nest here with my question,
    > it was NOT my intention...
    >
    > My plan is to generate html page where either I build "MENU" to some
    > DIV using external file, or i build inside of pages to some DIV...
    >
    > basically it means I want have some menu where i can click link, and
    > that link loads new page to DIV, if possible.. if not, i am willing to
    > go and take route where whole "menu" is generated and placed on DIV and
    > there in menu i have different links to different html files (that link
    > menu DIV)...
    >
    > i would like to prefer that menu links would be capable of loading
    > external files to DIV (or to anything else in html), it would me
    > "clearest" that way, but i am willing to make sacrifices with this
    > thing...

    I think you might be after something like this. Create a file as a
    template, then use the template for each new page.

    *** template.shtml ***

    <head>
    <title>Your Page Title</title>
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="mystyle.css">
    </head>
    <!--#include file="menu.inc" -->
    Your content here

    *** menu.inc ***
    <ul>
    </ul>

    *** mystyle.css ***
    #menu {float:left; width: 20%;}
    #content {width: 75%;}

    Play around with the styling, menu, etc.
    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 22, 2003
  19. Wÿrm pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > > Notice the OP said:
    > >
    > > "what I wanna do is that I make menu DIV and contents DIV on html file."
    > >
    > > He implies the menu HTML will be in a file, and the contents HTML will be
    > > in a file. Common stuff. Doesn't need to be charmed at all.

    > Sorry if I have poked to some kinda hornets nest here with my question, it
    > was NOT my intention...

    Wÿrm, not your fault; no need to be sorry.

    > My plan is to generate html page where either I build "MENU" to some DIV
    > using external file, or i build inside of pages to some DIV...
    >
    > basically it means I want have some menu where i can click link, and that
    > link loads new page to DIV, if possible.. if not, i am willing to go and
    > take route where whole "menu" is generated and placed on DIV and there in
    > menu i have different links to different html files (that link menu DIV)...
    >
    > i would like to prefer that menu links would be capable of loading external
    > files to DIV (or to anything else in html), it would me "clearest" that way,
    > but i am willing to make sacrifices with this thing...

    Adrienne has posted the basic layout of a template for you. Use that as a
    guide to create "template.shtml".

    Place all your <head> and <meta> elements in it, including the doctype.
    All your menu code goes in the included file and will be the same on every
    page you create with the template. When you want a new page, make a copy
    of the template with the new page file name. Add a link to it in
    "menu.inc". Add the content and upload the new page, and the changed
    menu.inc and the menu will show on all pages.

    Unless you have a quite large site, you could just place the content
    between the body tags. If you do have a large site, you should consider
    some sort of server-side scripting that assembles the pages on the fly.

    Hope this helps.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2003
  20. Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > : > "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > : > :
    > : > : Not spamming newsgroups would be my first suggestion.
    > : > :
    > : > Ok, would it be ok if I post my how-to series say once every few days?
    > :
    > : This is a discussion group about html, not an advertising group. So is
    > : c.i.w.a.h. If you did that, I'm sure someone would report you to your
    > : abuse desk.
    > :
    > What you are saying is I should passively respond to questions relating to HTML
    > and not proactively contributing new ideas.

    Never said that. What do you consider the difference between passive
    response to questions as opposed to proactively con.. giving a questioner
    a new or better way to accomplish his/her goal?

    > What kind of attitude is that? If
    > everyone hold that kind of attitude, the net as a whole would be borrring....

    It's an attitude to keep spamming out of these discussion groups, that's
    all.

    Wait. Proactively. "Acting in advance to deal with an expected
    difficulty; anticipatory." [1] Are you saying you want to post in
    *advance* of someone asking a particular question? 'Fraid that's not how
    it works.

    > My how-to series focus on a problem and present a possible solution.

    Are you referring to your Charm site or something else? Hey, if you have a
    how-to (translate: tutorial?) that answers a question, by all means give a
    link to the page that solves the problem. If it's free. If the solution
    costs money, then don't.

    Is there a tutorial? What's the link?

    > Not all of them are the same thing and repeating. So I made a bad choice
    > of presenting two similar problems. But the next one should give you something
    > to think about. Unfortunately, I should wait a few days before posting just in case
    > I should offend anyone.

    Consider this: if you start a new thread advertising some new whizz-bang
    technology - especially one that is not free - then you are spamming.

    "Come look at my site and see how you can make life easier!" as a new post
    won't work.

    [1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=proactively&db=*

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2003