Long

: Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
: > : > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
: > : > : > :
: > : > : Not spamming newsgroups would be my first suggestion.
: > : > :
: > : > Ok, would it be ok if I post my how-to series say once every few days?
: > :
: > : This is a discussion group about html, not an advertising group. So is
: > : c.i.w.a.h. If you did that, I'm sure someone would report you to your
: > : abuse desk.
: > :
: > What you are saying is I should passively respond to questions relating to HTML
: > and not proactively contributing new ideas.
:
: Never said that. What do you consider the difference between passive
: response to questions as opposed to proactively con.. giving a questioner
: a new or better way to accomplish his/her goal?
:
: > What kind of attitude is that? If
: > everyone hold that kind of attitude, the net as a whole would be borrring....
:
: It's an attitude to keep spamming out of these discussion groups, that's
: all.
:
: Wait. Proactively. "Acting in advance to deal with an expected
: difficulty; anticipatory." [1] Are you saying you want to post in
: *advance* of someone asking a particular question? 'Fraid that's not how
: it works.
:
: > My how-to series focus on a problem and present a possible solution.
:
: Are you referring to your Charm site or something else? Hey, if you have a
: how-to (translate: tutorial?) that answers a question, by all means give a
: link to the page that solves the problem. If it's free. If the solution
: costs money, then don't.
:
: Is there a tutorial? What's the link?
:
The Authoring Guide is available on our site, if you'd care to look.
There are many links, here are the links to the two tags I talked about.

@charm:text - www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug21
@charm:html - www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug22

Power your web site using a single template is described here

www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug23

You can access the Authoring Guide from the beginning here:

www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug

and lots more.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

[...]

That's just Charm stuff. It is not a tutorial you should post here to help
someone asking an HTML question, or other web authoring question.

As I suspected.

Wÿrm

Adrienne has posted the basic layout of a template for you. Use that as a
guide to create "template.shtml".

Place all your <head> and <meta> elements in it, including the doctype.
All your menu code goes in the included file and will be the same on every
page you create with the template. When you want a new page, make a copy
of the template with the new page file name. Add a link to it in
"menu.inc". Add the content and upload the new page, and the changed
menu.inc and the menu will show on all pages.

Unless you have a quite large site, you could just place the content
between the body tags. If you do have a large site, you should consider
some sort of server-side scripting that assembles the pages on the fly.

Hope this helps.

yes it helps, thank you for the idea. I am not sure about how big site will
be, I am also toying about idea where I would get contents from database and
create pages that way :)

Wÿrm

I think you might be after something like this. Create a file as a
template, then use the template for each new page.

*** template.shtml ***

<head>
<title>Your Page Title</title>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="mystyle.css">
</head>
<!--#include file="menu.inc" -->
Your content here

*** menu.inc ***
<ul>
</ul>

*** mystyle.css ***
#menu {float:left; width: 20%;}
#content {width: 75%;}

Play around with the styling, menu, etc.

thank you very much :) I thinkt his is pretty much what I want. I probably
will also toy with idea getting content of page from database. but this will
do for now :)

PeterMcC

Wÿrm said:
Sorry if I have poked to some kinda hornets nest here with my
question, it was NOT my intention...

Ditto on my reply suggesting SSI :(

BTW - SSI *is* a very workable solution to your problem - as Adrienne's
template demonstrates.

Best of luck with it.

Long

: Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
: > : > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
: > : > : > : > : Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
: > : > : > : > : > :
[...]
: >
: > @charm:text - www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug21
: > @charm:html - www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug22
: >
: > Power your web site using a single template is described here
: >
: > www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug23
: >
: > You can access the Authoring Guide from the beginning here:
: >
: > www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=wcug
: >
: > and lots more.
:
: That's just Charm stuff. It is not a tutorial you should post here to help
: someone asking an HTML question, or other web authoring question.
:
What makes other solutions (such as SSI, ASP, JSP, etc.) more valid for
posting here than WebCharm?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

[...]

I believe the simplest answer is provided by this page of yours:

http://www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html?top=h2buy

"How To Buy WebCharm"

(Does Charm not recognize <h1>?)

Long

[snip]
: > : > : Is there a tutorial? What's the link?
: > : > :
: > : > The Authoring Guide is available on our site, if you'd care to look.
: > : > There are many links, here are the links to the two tags I talked about.
: > : >
[...]
As I have mentioned in previous posts (may be not directly). WebCharm is
best installed at ISPs in order to make it widely available. So no, we are not
selling WebCharm directly to you, web authors and designers. What I want
to convey here is that you have an alternative method to solve specific problems.
Is it not better to know there is more than one way to "skin the cat", so to
speak. Would it not help you make better decisions on selecting a solution?

:
:
: (Does Charm not recognize <h1>?)
:
WebCharm recognizes <BODY> and treats everything else as text (except the
file download servlet). So no, it doesn't recognize <H1>. The above mark up
is by choice, not a limitation.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

[...]

Therefore: since it is not installed at ISPs (unless said ISP wants to
purchase it) it is not a viable solution for questions pertaining to SSI,
ASP, JSP, etc.

Your web site should list a list of all ISPs [don't you mean web servers?]
that have your Charm installed.
So no, we are not selling
WebCharm directly to you, web authors and designers. What I want
to convey here is that you have an alternative method to solve specific problems.
Is it not better to know there is more than one way to "skin the cat", so to
speak. Would it not help you make better decisions on selecting a solution?

Since your product is not widely available at web servers (if at all) you
should stop offering it as a solution to anyone with simple SSI-type
questions.

You also need to describe just how "non-portable" an author's document
will become by using this methodology.
:
:
: (Does Charm not recognize <h1>?)
:
WebCharm recognizes <BODY> and treats everything else as text (except the
file download servlet). So no, it doesn't recognize <H1>. The above mark up
is by choice, not a limitation.

More and more your Charm sounds like smoke and mirrors...

Long

: Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
: > : > [snip]
: > : > : > : Is there a tutorial? What's the link?
: > : > : > :
: > : > : > The Authoring Guide is available on our site, if you'd care to look.
: > : > : > There are many links, here are the links to the two tags I talked about.
: > : > : >
[...]
Like I have said before WebCharm is recently (2003-10) released. We
are working on partnering with ISPs and it may take some time.

:
: > So no, we are not selling
: > WebCharm directly to you, web authors and designers. What I want
: > to convey here is that you have an alternative method to solve specific problems.
: > Is it not better to know there is more than one way to "skin the cat", so to
: > speak. Would it not help you make better decisions on selecting a solution?
:
: Since your product is not widely available at web servers (if at all) you
: should stop offering it as a solution to anyone with simple SSI-type
: questions.
:
: You also need to describe just how "non-portable" an author's document
: will become by using this methodology.
:
Is this not inherent in all server-side content generation technologies? Besides,
it is not difficult to reproduce all the static pages, if a port was required. Of course
all dynamic aspect of the pages will be lost, but the content remains intact.

: > :
: > :
: > : (Does Charm not recognize <h1>?)
: > :
: > WebCharm recognizes <BODY> and treats everything else as text (except the
: > file download servlet). So no, it doesn't recognize <H1>. The above mark up
: > is by choice, not a limitation.
:
: More and more your Charm sounds like smoke and mirrors...
:
Our web site is powered by WebCharm with about 99% of the content are
generated. That is as real as it gets.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Long pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

I'll snip a bunch this time.
:
: Therefore: since it is not installed at ISPs (unless said ISP wants to
: purchase it) it is not a viable solution for questions pertaining to SSI,
: ASP, JSP, etc.
:
: Your web site should list a list of all ISPs [don't you mean web servers?]
: that have your Charm installed.
:
Like I have said before WebCharm is recently (2003-10) released. We
are working on partnering with ISPs and it may take some time.

Name an ISP - don't you /really/ mean web server hosting company? - that
uses Charm. Please, name one. Just one.
: You also need to describe just how "non-portable" an author's document
: will become by using this methodology.
:
Is this not inherent in all server-side content generation technologies? Besides,
it is not difficult to reproduce all the static pages, if a port was required. Of course
all dynamic aspect of the pages will be lost, but the content remains intact.

The deal is that the people asking questions here are hardly ever asking
for proprietary server-side content generation technologies. They want to
know how to make easier and better web pages. With simple SSI and stuff.

Your Charm cannot provide that.
: More and more your Charm sounds like smoke and mirrors...
:
Our web site is powered by WebCharm with about 99% of the content are
generated. That is as real as it gets.

How many other web sites are on this server? Sites that are not authored
by you and your Charm company?

How many web servers do you expect will be Charmed by this time next year?

Dylan Parry

Sitting said:
The deal is that the people asking questions here are hardly ever asking
for proprietary server-side content generation technologies. They want to
know how to make easier and better web pages. With simple SSI and stuff.

Exactly. Most servers will support ASP or PHP, what's the point in adding
another proprietary technology to the mix?